Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 05:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,530 times

Advertisements

Tonythetuna: In answer to your question: Yes, Peshtigo has a street named Chicago Court, just as Chicago has a street named Peshtigo Court.

Peshtigo also has a street named after William Ogden, the Chicago lumbering and real estate magnate who virtually owned Peshtigo in 1871 and lost huge amounts of property in BOTH fires. He promised to rebuild the town, but never did. We don't hold it against him, however. :-)

- A Peshtigo native
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 10:25 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,413,080 times
As big of an impact as the fire had on Chicago's history, and as much as it is ingrained in childen across the country w/ the song, is that really a huge reason to visit the city?

San Francisco had the 1906 earthquake that was arguably more catastrophic and indisputably more recent. London had the blitz. Many cities have been torched (Atlanta, Richmond, etc.). Do people specifically go to any of these destinations because of the historic urban disasters? There's no tangible reminder of the fire, other than the water tower and those stupid Chicago fire engine tours. The only uban disaster that I can see as a must-see would be New Orleans, if only because the impact can still be felt throughout the city.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:51 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizpah37 View Post
Tonythetuna: In answer to your question: Yes, Peshtigo has a street named Chicago Court, just as Chicago has a street named Peshtigo Court.

Peshtigo also has a street named after William Ogden, the Chicago lumbering and real estate magnate who virtually owned Peshtigo in 1871 and lost huge amounts of property in BOTH fires. He promised to rebuild the town, but never did. We don't hold it against him, however. :-)

- A Peshtigo native
Thanks. I appreciate the info.

You should hold it against Ogden, (who also was the first Mayor of Chicago) from all I have read about him he did not seem too honest and was overly greedy. Hey, but since he was really a New York carpetbagger, it should not be a surprise.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:02 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,520,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
As big of an impact as the fire had on Chicago's history, and as much as it is ingrained in childen across the country w/ the song, is that really a huge reason to visit the city?

San Francisco had the 1906 earthquake that was arguably more catastrophic and indisputably more recent. London had the blitz. Many cities have been torched (Atlanta, Richmond, etc.). Do people specifically go to any of these destinations because of the historic urban disasters? There's no tangible reminder of the fire, other than the water tower and those stupid Chicago fire engine tours. The only uban disaster that I can see as a must-see would be New Orleans, if only because the impact can still be felt throughout the city.
Pretty much agree. The fire was extremely important to the city's history. It was terrible, yet created one of the biggest construction/rebuilding booms in our nations history. I don't see the fire as a big reason to visit the city today however.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:00 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,902,630 times
Love Chicago. Hope to get back someday. Currently live in South Florida and it sucks if your not rich or Spanish.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:12 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
You are a Cardinals fan. That assessment is expected and par for the course.
I interpreted the OP's response to mean from the stands Wrigley is pretty nice, but the concourses and conveniences are lacking compared to other stadiums.
Wrigley great to watch a game, lousy to walk around during a game(which is important if attending a game with short attention span children).
US Cellular good to watch a game, great to walk around during a game.
I "get" Wrigley.
I do not "get" how any criticisms of Wrigley are automatically deemed wrong.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
I interpreted the OP's response to mean from the stands Wrigley is pretty nice, but the concourses and conveniences are lacking compared to other stadiums.
Well, Wrigley is a baseball park, not a stadium. It is also the oldest in the National League. The fricken place is almost a hundred years old.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:28 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Well, Wrigley is a baseball park, not a stadium. It is also the oldest in the National League. The fricken place is almost a hundred years old.
Exactly. And if you don't have the nostalgia of going to games there as a kid, you're pretty likely to find it lacking. I totally understand nostalgia -- I'm one of the most ridiculously over-nostalgic people you'll ever meet, but if you're going to spend big money to see a baseball game there are things a baseball fan who's seen a lot of stadiums is going to feel lacking at Wrigley.

That doesn't, for the record, mean I think they should tear Wrigley to the ground. Just that you shouldn't be surprised that non-locals don't love it the way locals do and it doesn't mean they love baseball any less than you.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Just that you shouldn't be surprised that non-locals don't love it the way locals do and it doesn't mean they love baseball any less than you.
I am not surprised at people not liking it, but I think many do not take into consideration how old it is and how the improvements that can be made to it are limited.

This place was built when a vast majority of the crowd was men that smoked,drank, and swore all game long. Wrigley was not built for families. Not many women and children were going to baseball games a hundred years ago. Of course, that is not the case now.

I am positive I would dislike Busch Stadium almost as much as I was turned off by Miller Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago