Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 01:51 PM

15 posts, read 47,131 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning on Moving to Chicago sometime this year... probably near the end of the year.

We are from the Northwest Burbs, in our mid/late 20's and do not have children. We are looking to rent for a year or two before we buy to make sure the city is for us (I know we will love it).

I am just having a hard time placing us in a neighborhood. I will be working in the loop, he will be commuting outside of the city, with a car. We will need parking. He loves loft-y style places, while I just want a nice apartment - loft or otherwise.

We want a neighborhood that has lots of young professionals, great resturants, grocery stores, things to do and is safe. I want us to have the best "city living" experience possible! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Neighborhoods I am considering: Lincoln Park, Gold Coast, Old Town, Lakeview, West Loop, River North, and South Loop.

I should also note, we have about $1300 a month to spend on a 1 bedroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 02:02 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
Lincoln Park would probably fill the bill. Parking can cost as much as $400 a month.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:08 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
To where will the hubby be commuting? Once yuo answer that we can give better suggestions.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:20 PM

15 posts, read 47,131 times
Oooh... sorry! Hanover Park...

Old 01-13-2011, 06:37 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,025 times
Try west Lake View,Roscoe Village,North Center,and Lincoln Square.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:52 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,900 times
Avondale. Not as expensive as Lincoln Park, downtown, etc. Also puts you right on the Kennedy for husband to commute to Hanover Park. Avondale has some nice apartments and some newer construction. Also is 20 minutes from downtown on the L.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:01 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
Avondale. Not as expensive as Lincoln Park, downtown, etc. Also puts you right on the Kennedy for husband to commute to Hanover Park. Avondale has some nice apartments and some newer construction. Also is 20 minutes from downtown on the L.
I would not say Avondale has lots of yuppies and great restaurants. It may be an ok place for me or you to live in, but I don't think that is what this person is looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna2828 View Post
We want a neighborhood that has lots of young professionals, great resturants,

Old 01-15-2011, 07:46 PM

3 posts, read 3,890 times
Bucktown / Wicker Park should be #1 on your list. Matches all your requirements, plus only a minute of two from the Kennedy which will save a lot of commuting time.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:09 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Ah yes, slight variation on the same basic and oft-recurring theme: someone wants to live in a hip city neighborhood and commute out to the suburbs via the Kennedy/Addams. Each time this dilemma comes up, my answer is the same: good luck.

The less distance traveled on the Kennedy, the better. And the less distance traveled on surface streets to get to the Kennedy, the better still. The reverse commute on the Kennedy is brutal because you have the express lanes working against you. Living even 2 miles further toward downtown on the Kennedy can add 20 minutes to your commute.

With that in mind, find a "compromise" neighborhood somewhere in the northwest to far northwest side. I would suggest Irving Park, Mayfair, or Jefferson Park. This gives you direct and quick access to the Logan Square, Bucktown or Wicker Square nightlife spots via the Blue Line train, plus relatively easy bus access to Lincoln Square, Lakeview North Center/St. Bens, and/or Lakeview, depending on whether you live closer to the Lawrence or Irving Park/Addison bus lines. Or better yet, it's a short jaunt by car to these areas (after rush hour anyway) if you don't plan to booze it up and you don't mind paying metered parking in many of these areas -- even then, only before 9pm. And living in an upper NW-side neighborhood will make commuting on the Kennedy almost tolerable.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:52 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
If the old man works in Hanover Park then Oak Park might be good. Just take the Eisenhower out to Lake St or that Elgin-OHare thing.

Oak Park has (or has easy access to) the proper "young professional" stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago