Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 08:58 PM

9 posts, read 26,629 times

Advertisements

I want to be near good food. REAL food. Fresh, SEASONAL food. Tried to grow stuff myself, we'd starve.

I found Green City Market. THAT is what I want. But we can't afford Lincoln Park. My husband is thinking western areas -- Portage Park, etc. Any suggestions for neighborhoods in between? Have 2 little kids, 2 dogs so need some green space, and no parking hassles. Other than that, I really just don't want to have to rely on Jewel for my food!

Any foodies out there can make some suggestions for how to be near good, real food w/o living in Lincoln Park, and w/o growing my own and raising chickens?

Our house budget is under $400K.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 09:50 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
Default Work in a restaurant or make friends with someone that does or shop the indies...

All the good restaurants have very high quality suppliers, if food is so vitally important to you you'd do well to get in with that crowd. Some also do the CSA stuff, though frankly the limitations of midwestern weather and crops strike me as big negative if you go that route, and if you really want to preserve the bounty of summer with home canning and freezing that is darned time consuming.

There are dozens maybe hundreds of independent produce stores that sorta cater to the ethnic crowd if your goal is to keep your money from ending up in SuperValu. They arr located all over.

$400k goes pretty far in Portage Park, and even in Lincoln Park I have seen a few places that were three flats and now are condos -- you might be ale to find a decent 3brd/2ba that might work...

Also look for similar setups in other north side locations, like Ravenswoods, North Center, Lakeview and Eoscoe Village, with the distressed market, especially with town homes and condos, is wider than ever between single family detached.

If the kids are little enough and you time to get your ducks in a row you could probably even use the foodie network to get tied into the whole parents / magnet school network too..

Pretty tough row to hoe, but easier than raising chickens, and less mess to deal with day-to-day.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:50 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,442,896 times
I prefer Logan Square's outdoor market to Green City any day. All the same local, organic food for half the cost and a fraction of the pretension. There are several farmer's markets around the city that do a fair job. Lincoln Square's is pretty nice and would meet your dog and kid needs.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:29 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,207,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
I prefer Logan Square's outdoor market to Green City any day. All the same local, organic food for half the cost and a fraction of the pretension. There are several farmer's markets around the city that do a fair job. Lincoln Square's is pretty nice and would meet your dog and kid needs.
Agreed - Logan Square also has the only other market that is open year round (it moves to the lobby of the Congress theater in the winter). Choices at both markets is smaller in the winter.

If you want a year round market you basically have two choices - Lincoln Park or Logan Square. It isn't hard to find a SFH in Logan Square for $400,000. Lincoln Park is obviously much more expensive.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:57 AM

31 posts, read 167,256 times
Yukk, I hate Logan Square, Lincoln Park is alot better. But it might be a little bit more expensive, I'm not sure... It matters what parts of Logan Square you look into.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:07 AM

3,500 posts, read 3,132,120 times
Speaking of fresh food in Logan Square, has anybody tried the Dill Pickle Co-Op there? Seems like that place would meet a lot of needs one would have from a farmer's market/fresh market type place.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:02 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,207,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Speaking of fresh food in Logan Square, has anybody tried the Dill Pickle Co-Op there? Seems like that place would meet a lot of needs one would have from a farmer's market/fresh market type place.
I know some friends who've used it and like it a lot. Empty Bottle has also started doing weekend farmers markets, although their schedule seems a little erratic. Logan Square has seen a lot of good food places open in the last few years: Provenance, La Boulangerie, Letizia's, Logan Square Kitchen.

Last edited by Attrill; 01-19-2011 at 05:12 PM..

Old 01-19-2011, 05:47 PM

3,500 posts, read 3,132,120 times
I absolutely have to check out La Boulangerie. My wife and I took a cooking class with Chef Vincent and he is a great guy (and an awesome chef)

Old 01-21-2011, 06:24 PM

9 posts, read 26,629 times
Thanks everyone. Appreciate the feedback. I know raising chickens is the new trend, but my two pitties would definitely make that difficult!! It would be like a combo dog-c*ckfight. LOL -- NOT FUNNY!! But kinda.

Anyway, thanks!!

Old 01-21-2011, 07:32 PM

25 posts, read 36,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjrhubart View Post
I want to be near good food. REAL food. Fresh, SEASONAL food. Tried to grow stuff myself, we'd starve.

I found Green City Market. THAT is what I want. But we can't afford Lincoln Park. My husband is thinking western areas -- Portage Park, etc. Any suggestions for neighborhoods in between? Have 2 little kids, 2 dogs so need some green space, and no parking hassles. Other than that, I really just don't want to have to rely on Jewel for my food!

Any foodies out there can make some suggestions for how to be near good, real food w/o living in Lincoln Park, and w/o growing my own and raising chickens?

Our house budget is under $400K.

Thanks!
Try Rogers Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: