Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 10:26 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,648,495 times

Advertisements

Here's my situation. I have moved to Chicago but temporarily staying with a relative until I find my own place. I will be working at the Merchandise Mart downtown which is right along the brown line. I'm a single mid-20's professional male who is eventually going to go to grad school (not sure which school yet). I have seen the Lincoln Park and Lakeview neighborhoods and really liked them. I've decided the maximum rent I'm willing to pay is $1300. I could probably afford a little more, but I don't want to. I was looking at what I could get for $1300 in other areas such as Wicker Park and Bucktown and seems like I would get a lot more for what I pay there. However, it would be more inconvenient commuting to the Merchandise Mart from there via the El train. After commuting to my last job for 30 minutes to and from work every day, commuting is an important factor to me. I want to be able to get there within 15 minutes.

Basically I'm looking for a pretty nice 1-bedroom place that has an updated kitchen and bathroom, parking available (I'm well aware of the parking situation in those neighborhoods), laundry in the building somewhere, and within walking (or biking) distance to the brown line. Is $1300 a reasonable price for all of this? I'm thinking part of the trouble I'm having is that I'm looking at a bad time of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 10:39 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,372,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
Here's my situation. I have moved to Chicago but temporarily staying with a relative until I find my own place. I will be working at the Merchandise Mart downtown which is right along the brown line. I'm a single mid-20's professional male who is eventually going to go to grad school (not sure which school yet). I have seen the Lincoln Park and Lakeview neighborhoods and really liked them. I've decided the maximum rent I'm willing to pay is $1300. I could probably afford a little more, but I don't want to. I was looking at what I could get for $1300 in other areas such as Wicker Park and Bucktown and seems like I would get a lot more for what I pay there. However, it would be more inconvenient commuting to the Merchandise Mart from there via the El train. After commuting to my last job for 30 minutes to and from work every day, commuting is an important factor to me. I want to be able to get there within 15 minutes.

Basically I'm looking for a pretty nice 1-bedroom place that has an updated kitchen and bathroom, parking available (I'm well aware of the parking situation in those neighborhoods), laundry in the building somewhere, and within walking (or biking) distance to the brown line. Is $1300 a reasonable price for all of this? I'm thinking part of the trouble I'm having is that I'm looking at a bad time of the year.
You're looking at the absolute worst time of year as far as the rental market is concerned. Some stuff will start to open up Mar 1 / April 1 but dec jan feb are probably the worst.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
You're looking at the absolute worst time of year as far as the rental market is concerned. Some stuff will start to open up Mar 1 / April 1 but dec jan feb are probably the worst.
Crap, that's what I figured. I would stay with my relatives longer but they live in Naperville. It would just be a ridiculous commute.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:23 PM

I really like these 3 places:

LIVE IN STYLISH & FUN ONE BEDROOM, PLUS LOFT!! (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2165416391.html - broken link)
BREWERY LOFTS = HAPPY LIVING (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2160873079.html - broken link)
BREWERY ONE BED PLUS LOFT + GYM & ROOFDECKS W/ GAS GRILLS = !!! (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2164761550.html - broken link) (Also really like it but a little expensive)

The first one is perfect location-wise for me (very close to the brown line), has a nice view of the skyline out the windows of the place, and an awesome rooftop deck. The second one is really neat because it has a lot of character (in a former brewery building and it has exposed brick in the apartment). It's only on the first floor but the building has a rooftop deck (not as nice as the other place). The location isn't as good but can still probably walk to the El train within 10-15 minutes (or get a bike). It's too bad though because I really love the place itself. The last one is extremely awesome but a little too expensive for me.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:29 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,727,393 times
Ditch the car and you have more to spend on rent and more options.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:48 AM

20 posts, read 44,185 times
The heating costs are going to kill you in every one of the apartments you listed. Negotiate for a lower rent.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:50 AM

20 posts, read 44,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
The worst time of year in terms of selection, but the best time for price. The units listed are way overpriced for this time of year or any other for that matter.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:50 AM

12,385 posts, read 28,372,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollblaster View Post
The worst time of year in terms of selection, but the best time for price. The units listed are way overpriced for this time of year or any other for that matter.
Yeah that is what I meant, the worst for selection. He should be able to score a deal (if he finds something) because they don't want that apartment empty in the winter.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:24 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,467,731 times
I know our former property management company, and I'd suspect others, won't even rent this time of year because it's pretty much impossible to evict in the winter if the tenant doesn't pay.

That said, I'm sure you can find something you'll like! The second one is pretty good (though my gut still tells me it's a bit overpriced). I really love that area!

Old 01-18-2011, 08:37 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,467,731 times
You might check these out:
Spacious 2br*HEAT INCLUDED-HWF-Full Kitchen-Large bedrms-Steps to EL! (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2165891245.html - broken link)
Hardwood Floors, Back Deck, Oversized Living Room and Dining Room (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2165493942.html - broken link)
Wrigleyville - Charming 1 BR (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2165635094.html - broken link)
Fantastic 1 BR w/ Office, In-Unit W/D, Granite, 1 Mth Free,Avail Feb 1 (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2166198157.html - broken link)
Quiet Lakeview 2 Bedroom (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2165997696.html - broken link)
you could save some money here: ***Large 1Bed Steps to Southport Corridor-Dining Area*** (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2165957494.html - broken link)

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago