Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 12:57 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
there are more stringent definitions of what those activities are, though. I'm pretty sure (not positive) they all involve "stuff" (no buttons, no handing out things), although it's likely that people aren't allowed to just hang out in the actual polling places (and again, I'll bet there's a specific definition of what that means, within 25' of the door, etc).

this just is from Waguespack campaign:

If any of you hear about our opponents doing anything dodgy and/or illegal, I need to know about it. For example, we know of at least a few things:

1. Placing signs in public parkways;
2. Removing our signs from private property (i.e. where we got permission to place them);
3. Promising services in exchange for votes (e.g. telling people they shoveled their sidewalk & would like their vote);
4. Placing campaign literature in public places (e.g. opponents placed a stack of campaign flyers in Hamlin Park building.)

Please let me know when/where you see any of this. And if you can, remedy the situation yourself.
This is the Illinois electioneering law

Illinois General Assembly - Illinois Compiled Statutes

The reason I believe Rahm is guilty of electioneering is he is a candidate in the election and he has no legal reason for being in the polling place ( like: he is voting, is working as an election judge, is working as a poll watcher, works in the building being used as a polling place,etc.)

Here is one piece of the law that should be noted:

"No person other than election officers and the challengers allowed by law and those admitted for the purpose of voting, as hereinafter provided, shall be permitted within the proximity of the voting booths, except by authority of the primary officers to keep order and enforce the law."

And this:

"No person shall do any electioneering or soliciting of votes on primary day within any polling place or within one hundred feet of any polling place, or, at the option of a church or private school, on any of the property of that church or private school that is a polling place."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 01:03 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
This is the Illinois electioneering law

Illinois General Assembly - Illinois Compiled Statutes

The reason I believe Rahm is guilty of electioneering is he is a candidate in the election and he has no legal reason for being in the polling place ( like: he is voting, is working as an election judge, is working as a poll watcher, works in the building being used as a polling place,etc.)

Here is one piece of the law that should be noted:

"No person other than election officers and the challengers allowed by law and those admitted for the purpose of voting, as hereinafter provided, shall be permitted within the proximity of the voting booths, except by authority of the primary officers to keep order and enforce the law."
yep, I agree with your read - unfortunately in totality there's enough verbiage there to make a few lawyers very wealthy arguing over the fine-print after the fact, though.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
yep, I agree with your read - unfortunately in totality there's enough verbiage there to make a few lawyers very wealthy arguing over the fine-print after the fact, though.
Thanks for at least hearing out my argument.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I think that's called campaigning not electioneering.
The definition of electioneering basically means illegally campaigning in some manner inside a polling place.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:33 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,838 times
Quote:
Thanks for at least hearing out my argument.
oh, I didn't doubt you one bit. but I know from calling 911 on election day to report violations that the City takes jailing Dibs proponents more seriously than electioneering.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:26 PM

955 posts, read 1,831,138 times
Candidates are credentialed and allowed to act as poll watchers. They may stay from early morning set-up until the final count is totaled (long after the polls have closed, if they wish). They also have the right to make challenges and sit in on most discussions conducted by the election judges.

In a nutshell any candidate can visit a polling place and chill all he wants, as long as he doesn't start telling folks how to vote. He has all the rights and the same limitations as a pollwatcher. At the same time, that candidate and his other pollwatchers can be asked to leave by the election judges should they become a nuisance.

Few candidates want to get caught up in the drama, so that is why they usually make short appearances and then leave the grunt work to their pollwatchers.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
Candidates are credentialed and allowed to act as poll watchers. They may stay from early morning set-up until the final count is totaled (long after the polls have closed, if they wish). They also have the right to make challenges and sit in on most discussions conducted by the election judges.

In a nutshell any candidate can visit a polling place and chill all he wants, as long as he doesn't start telling folks how to vote. He has all the rights and the same limitations as a pollwatcher. At the same time, that candidate and his other pollwatchers can be asked to leave by the election judges should they become a nuisance.

Few candidates want to get caught up in the drama, so that is why they usually make short appearances and then leave the grunt work to their pollwatchers.
Please show proof of what you say.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:36 PM

955 posts, read 1,831,138 times
Quote:
Please show proof of what you say.
www.elections.state.il.us/Downloads/ElectionInformation/PDF/pollguide.pdf

Look at page 6.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:27 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Yeah ... lawyer's Writ it.

Quote:

Old 02-05-2011, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
Thanks for this. I was not aware of this right for a candidate.

However, this right still does not allow electioneering by a candidate in a polling place or within 100 feet of one.

Page 6:
"Candidates must have candidate credentials in order to
remain in the polling place. They have the same rights
and limitations as other pollwatchers."

Page 11:
"Electioneering – active campaigning and
solicitation of votes by a candidate, candidates
or party workers in the polling place or within the
100 foot campaign free zone of the polling place."

http://www.elections.state.il.us/Dow.../pollguide.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago