Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you vote for Chicago in terms of becoming part of Wisconsin?
Yes, make Chicago part of Wisconsin now known as Chicago, Wisconsin (gotta admit doesn't sound as nice) 7 15.56%
No, keep Chicago in Illinois. 38 84.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 01:20 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times

Advertisements

Moving the WI-IL state border a little south to include Chicago would kill most tourism meant for the state of Illinois, although it would make Wisconsin an even better place to visit..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 01:38 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Moving the WI-IL state border a little south to include Chicago would kill most tourism meant for the state of Illinois, although it would make Wisconsin an even better place to visit..
We can just move our state line over on the other end of the state to take over StL. Heck, lets just extend the southern state line all the way down to the Gulf of Mexico, and then we can get New Orleans too! Mardi Gras in IL!!!

Old 01-26-2011, 07:50 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet123 View Post
OP, put the bong down.
Maybe he frequents this place?

Richard Bong State Recreation Area - WDNR (http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/parks/specific/bong/index.html - broken link)

Old 01-27-2011, 01:18 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
How about Chicago not join Wisconsin and get Milwaukee to join Illinois? That sounds like a real plan!

Old 01-27-2011, 04:49 AM

166 posts, read 376,377 times
How about we just make the Chicago Metro into its own state since it has nothing in common with Wisconsin or the rest of Illinois for that matter.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:27 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,175,680 times
For better or worse Chicago is part of Illinois. And Im OK with that.

However, your observation is a good one, but it is too narrow.

Historically speaking, Northern Illinois (which includes but is not limited to Chicago) was settled by the same immigrant stream that settled southern Wisconsin...people moving from Upstate New York and parts of New England (W NY was also settled by New Englanders). So in terms of historic regional cultures and ancestry there is a sharing that crosses the state line....

This is also the case in Jo Daviess County, around Galena, since it was part of the same lead mining region that southwestern Wisconsin was. Somewhat similar landscape, too. Though I dont know the migration history of that part of the state.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:03 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Well, Wisconsin certainly SOUNDS better than Illinois.

I've never liked driving throught flat boring Illinois. Wisconsin on the other hand...

Old 01-27-2011, 06:09 PM

269 posts, read 717,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Maybe he frequents this place?

Richard Bong State Recreation Area - WDNR (http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/parks/specific/bong/index.html - broken link)
Heh, that's where I go to play with my snowmobile...

Old 01-28-2011, 01:56 PM

74 posts, read 233,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
I think the majority of the south side, south west/south suburbs relate more to Indiana that Wisconsin. I grew up in Orland Park and thought of Indiana as our neighbor moreso than Wisconsin.
Cosign, no one from the Southside what's to be from Wisconsin. People from the Southside dont even think about Wisconsin, I rarely if ever think of Wisconsin.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:54 PM

801 posts, read 2,566,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I would support the U.S. taking a page from a number of other countries and putting the biggest 3-6 metro areas by economic output into their own governmental entities, separate from states and counties. In the U.S. it would make the most sense to do that with the New York area, Los Angeles area, Chicagoland, and then it would probably get a little grayer, but maybe Washington (an expanded D.C., basically), Boston and the entire Bay Area. That would help protect your critical global cities from the whims of disinterested rural interests. While the current political boundaries have their historic charm, they run a real risk of hurting the economic engines of cities (by which I mean metro areas) that are critical to the success of the entire nation. By grouping the cities and suburbs, you also force all those local groups whose interests are fundamentally aligned to actually recognize that fact instead of allowing local political boundaries to create false, counter-productive conflicts.
I like that concept...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago