Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 06:03 AM

4 posts, read 7,007 times

Advertisements

A colleage and I are moving from Barcelona to Chicago to do the Master's Thesis project, and we found a place to rent in N Artesian Ave. The lessor is eager to get that place rented as soon as possible, and we don't have any information about the zone. Can anybody give us some advice?

We are going to spend half a year in Chicago, and we are moving in about 10 days, so it's kind of urgent to get an apartment or whatever before arriving there. Any information will be helpful

PS: Sorry if I made any mistake, I still have to polish my English a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 06:32 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,303,967 times
What is the rough address? Like 1000 N. Artesian? By the way, Artesian Ave does not run through Ukrainian Village. The apartment probably is in Humboldt Park and the owner is trying to pull a fast one on you.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:36 AM

The address is 554 N. Artesian. Sorry and thanks, I dion't know where Ukrainian Village finishes

Old 01-30-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukie View Post
The address is 554 N. Artesian. Sorry and thanks, I dion't know where Ukrainian Village finishes
It is not in Ukrainian Village. The neighborhood it is in is nicknamed "The Patch" and it is also called Smith Park.

"The Patch" is kinda secluded. You will want to avoid going south of that area on foot or using public transit, there are shady (somewhat dangerous) neighborhoods south of there.

What school will you be attending?

I don't know how good a value the apartment is because I do not know it's size or how much it costs.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:42 AM

We'll be attending the IIT.

Edit: The apartment costs 1400$, 2 bedrooms , 1 bathroom, fully furnished with heat, electricity and internet

Old 01-30-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
We'll be attending the IIT.

Edit: The apartment costs 1400$, 2 bedrooms , 1 bathroom, fully furnished with heat, electricity and internet
It is on the higher price end for that area in my opinion, but could be an ok deal. Heating costs are not cheap and neither are cooling costs by electricity. Does it have Central Air conditioning or come with air conditioners? If not, you will have to buy a couple,but I am assuming you don't like being hot. Some people are ok with it.

The fully furnished deal is good for you.

I am most concerned about you getting to IIT. Will you be driving or taking public transit?

Old 01-30-2011, 07:11 AM

Thank you for your concerning, but being hot is not really a problem. Here in Barcelona in summer it's sometimes very hot and I don't have any air conditioners, so it's ok. And in the case we need it it's as easy as buying one

Our idea was to take public transit to go everywhere, we can't afford to rent a car. Is it a good idea?

By the way, thanks for your fast replies.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:57 AM

3,695 posts, read 4,964,007 times
Quote:
Our idea was to take public transit to go everywhere, we can't afford to rent a car. Is it a good idea?
Public transit is ok but you should try to live somewhere near the el or bus route you take to go to school or to the area where you are doing your project. If I were going to IIT and using public tranist I would stay near the red line on the northside and no farther north than about belmont.UK villiage is a bit of an haul from IIT.

You could also stay on the south side around bridgeport but the southside can be a bit gettho in places esp. past about 40th street.

Last edited by chirack; 01-30-2011 at 10:35 AM..

Old 01-30-2011, 10:11 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,069,949 times
I would second the Bridgeport recommondation. Or even looking to rent out one of the many condos that went up in the south loop the past few years. Many are for rent.

That's just a somewhat random address to live at if you're going to IIT.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:45 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,044,196 times
If you are going to IIT, and plan to take public transit, don't move there and look elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago