Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 05:13 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,227,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Add one more to the "Don't Overestimate the Capabilities of Your Vehicle" file: today as I was shoveling I watched some guys struggle down the street in a Toyota RAV-4. They'd go about 10 feet, get out, shovel, go about 10 more feet, get out shovel, etc. I thought to myself, "what are you doucheballs gonna do, shovel your way around town?" After about an hour they made it halfway down the block, abandoned their plan, shoveled out a place to park, parked it, and walked back whence they came.
Oh geez. Even the real suvs (and that's not a slight at the rav-4 as I drive a cr-v myself) are struggling. I think the people attempting to travel today are the ones who forgot to go grocery shopping LOL. I guess better not laugh too hard as I'm down to 4 rolls of toilet paper myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 05:14 PM

3,491 posts, read 3,112,375 times
To celebrate the fact that my grill didn't fly away last night (only the cover) I shall be BBQ-ing tonight.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,846,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Here is what I took at about 8:30pm near my friend's house in an area near Gladstone Park on the Northwest side
Did his power stay on? When I rolled through GPark yesterday at about 5:30 there looked to be sporadic power outages between Lawrence and Foster.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
Oh geez. Even the real suvs (and that's not a slight at the rav-4 as I drive a cr-v myself) are struggling. I think the people attempting to travel today are the ones who forgot to go grocery shopping LOL. I guess better not laugh too hard as I'm down to 4 rolls of toilet paper myself.
The really big SUVs didn't seem to have a lot of problems. I saw a Lincoln Navigator and a Ford Expedition roll through without much trouble. I also saw a Jeep Wrangler roll by with a plow. He had the plow about a foot off the ground to clear away just enough snow so he wouldn't get topped.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewthedru View Post
I stupidly left my company car parked on the street. (Irving park ave) will I have a ticket when I return on Sat?
Oh yes. Probably more than one. And a good chance at a tow as well.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:42 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,146,512 times
According to the trib (online) about 29,000 Chicago residences still don't have power. 300 repair crews are out to fix the problem. In that bitter cold and snow it must be one helluva crap job to climb poles and restore power. And I bet that Comed only receives complaining phone calls. Think about those guys out there working in those conditions.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:52 PM

968 posts, read 2,654,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
To celebrate the fact that my grill didn't fly away last night (only the cover) I shall be BBQ-ing tonight.
Craftsman 2" Spring Loaded Clamps ... 3 or 4 of them ..when you buy the replacement cover ... Trust me on this ..they work well

Old 02-02-2011, 06:14 PM

269 posts, read 715,122 times
Quote:
The really big SUVs didn't seem to have a lot of problems. I saw a Lincoln Navigator and a Ford Expedition roll through without much trouble. I also saw a Jeep Wrangler roll by with a plow. He had the plow about a foot off the ground to clear away just enough snow so he wouldn't get topped.
My truck had no problems when I went to get food about a half hour ago... course its a 3/4 ton diesel

'scuse me while I pat myself on the back for having the foresight to leave my Mini at work and driving my truck home Sunday.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:34 PM

172 posts, read 484,380 times
Quote:
This one did:

Old 02-02-2011, 06:38 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,185,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
I'm wondering how long it'll be until most of the sidestreets have a plow come through.
Most Alderman have promised by first thing tomorrow AM. I live on what may be the most "side" of all side streets in the city, and we're still waiting to be plowed. All the main arteries around us have been fine since noon or so today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago