Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 05:00 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times

Advertisements

Not undriveable but snowy. I don't know which streets but he was going to around 112th and Ave L. Maybe he was exaggerating though, I probably shouldn't listen to him!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 05:51 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
this thread was really interesting. Some of those videos reminded me of hurricanes..and, yes, the sound of the winds was remarkably similar... I remember those days...my memory of the 1967 snowfall in Chicago is still vivid.

As far as the south coping with snow...here in Charlotte, (NC) we now have a whopping 90 plows. That is a lot for all the bigger Charlotte is. Yet, we still can't become operational for a week after a 4 INCH snowfall! WHY? Well, there is the mismanagement of these plows, plus the overall perception of "just wait 'till it melts". Some businesses close, not all, since now we have a huge influx of northerners that are used to snow. Schools close for the longest; mostly because there are a lot of rural roads and the buses can't make it on those roads. That is where the "mismanagement" comes in (or one of the ways, anyway). They don't plow the rural roads. Ever. Just wait for the snow to melt. SIGH. Meanwhile, we have the sun melting the snow during the day, the well-below freezing temps at night now creates ice. And, school buses can't run on ice. Meanwhile, the kiddos are at home, moms (or dads) have to stay home with said kids (and loose money) and then the kids have to make up the days on previously scheduled holidays, Saturdays, or, spring break. Huge uproar over lost "vacation time".

Other forms of plow mismanagement...they don't start plowing until ALL of the snow has fallen; at which time, it is already packed down, so, the road does not really get plowed at all. Plus, they stop after their 8-hour shift. Done. No replacement driver. Freezing overnight produces ice. Next day, more plowing, but, once the city main streets are completed. Done. No side streets (EVER) They will throw down some salt (or the latest thing is "brine", probably an effort to save the costs of salt) but, it's better than the slag they used to use.

Our recent snow/ice combo left the city practically paralyzed for 2 days. (total snow: 6 inches. Ice: .25 inch) Schools were out for 5 days. Most parking lots were not completely cleared, making things dicey when you got out of your car to go to work, or went into a store; although these things seem to be getting somewhat better now.

This is a huge bone of contention for all of us that are from up north. Not that we expect the type of response like Chicago; I mean, one day of "paralysis" after a monster blizzard like that is pretty much awesome. But, I think that it would be reasonable to expect a maximum of a day down with 4-6 inches. Schools shouldn't be out for more than 2 days. People here (the natives, anyway) are just happy with the status quo and aren't interested in improving their reactions to such events.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:39 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Ack. More whining on the news about which neighborhoods got the side-streets plowed first. Who cares -- the city became mostly functional the day after the third-worst blizzard in city history and about 100% functional within two, and ninnies wanna bicker about the order in which it was done? Shaddap.
There's not enough white people in the Oak Lawn area either, it seems. There's still one lane closed on Cicero Ave., 95th St. and other main roads because they are covered in snow. Either the state can't afford to finish, despite our massive tax increase, or there aren't enough white people around here for them to want to finish plowing. Either way, I'm not happy.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
A lot of 4-lane streets in the city are still down to 2 lanes because people started parking on the streets again before the city got the chance to clear the snow all the way to the curb. So now people are parking halfway into the right lane.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:37 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,729 times
Quote:
A lot of 4-lane streets in the city are still down to 2 lanes because people started parking on the streets again before the city got the chance to clear the snow all the way to the curb. So now people are parking halfway into the right lane.
Oak Lawn is a suburb and there is no parking on Cicero Ave. or most of 95th St.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:39 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Oak Lawn is a suburb and there is no parking on Cicero Ave. or most of 95th St.
Where did Drover mention Oak Lawn?

Old 02-05-2011, 11:52 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Where did Drover mention Oak Lawn?
I think that was his way of saying "Oak Lawn doesn't have an excuse for not having cleared snow off the entire street."

Old 02-06-2011, 12:21 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,025 times
Quote:
I think that was his way of saying "Oak Lawn doesn't have an excuse for not having cleared snow off the entire street."
They don't have an excuse.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:03 AM

622 posts, read 1,196,386 times
I just got home from a trip to CO and was very impressed with how well my alley was plowed. I still had to shovel up to 3 feet of the crud so I could get in my garage but was happy to be able to get to it. I was also happy to see my car on the street didn't get ticketed or towed. We did apparently have a water line break so the car was covered in icy snow and a plow broke my mirror but still...not to bad. Plus, the neighbor did or sidewalk for us. Nice!

Old 02-06-2011, 10:06 AM

3,502 posts, read 3,134,181 times
Where do you live that your alley gets plowed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago