Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 08:43 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,233,674 times

Advertisements

It's like Mad Max world out there. People in Albany Park have resorted to walking on the streets because the sidewalks are completely unusable. I've watch CPD SUVs cruise by to yell at them, but then once the car is gone, people get right back on the street. It's like the south side!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 08:50 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,146,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
I heard some thunder about ten minutes ago myself and just now.

I just opened the back door of my friends house. We shoveled the snow off of the porch about an hour ago. 4-5 inches has replaced it already. I'm sure some of it had been blown onto it from the roof. But, if not:

I might have some more video later. I might be headed out to the bar!
How cold do you like your beer in this weather?

Old 02-02-2011, 08:58 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,839,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
There is an upside to all this drifting - my walkway and most of my sidewalk are completely snow free. The other side of the street is a VERY different story.
I hear you there; I've got one spot where its almost completely clear of snow, then go around a corner and the drifts are over 3 feet deep. We live in a 1927 bungalow and I think the long narrow sideyards act like wind tunnels.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:09 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,146,512 times
Great thread! I grew up and lived in Chicago for over 35 years. Logan Square and the area of Cicero and Addison. I was there for the storm of 1999. Unfortunately, I live in Louisville, Ky now. I miss Chicago, storms and all.
I've been trying to listen online to WGN or WBBM radio but have trouble getting the streams.
I hope you all stay safe and comfortable.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:22 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,416,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post

The humorous part of this picture is that we have a balcony above this deck and even have a roof (keeps it dry when it rains) between the two decks. All I know is that I'm not going out there for awhile...
That's about how mine looks too

Quote:
The total at O'Hare (which is the official read for the whole city) is now 19.5

I would not doubt if much of the city has more than that.

If it keeps going at this rate we will break the all time record.

Official Snowfall Totals

===========================

On another note, the temperature forecast has changed dramatically over the last day. The NWS is saying the low tonight is supposed to be -10! With a wind chill of -26! I thought it was not going to get really cold until tomorrow night!

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...kx&zmx=1&zmy=1
I think by the lake is well over 20" already... My friend on Sheridan says its nuts.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:23 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,311,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post

The humorous part of this picture is that we have a balcony above this deck and even have a roof (keeps it dry when it rains) between the two decks. All I know is that I'm not going out there for awhile...
That snow looks so smooth, like ice cream.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:25 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,416,495 times
Quote:
That snow looks so smooth, like ice cream.
Yeah it's like somebody dumped a giant soft serve ice cream allover the place. I wonder if some of this is going to freeze hard when it gets -10 tonight

Old 02-02-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
It's like Mad Max world out there. People in Albany Park have resorted to walking on the streets because the sidewalks are completely unusable. I've watch CPD SUVs cruise by to yell at them, but then once the car is gone, people get right back on the street. It's like the south side!
I think the city should have a fleet of bobcats to clear problem sidewalk areas. Maybe 2-5 per ward. Rahm and all you other candidates, are you listening?

Old 02-02-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I wonder if some of this is going to freeze hard when it gets -10 tonight
This is not going to be pretty tonight.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:26 AM

3,695 posts, read 4,972,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
At least 20 inches here in Barrington. I've never seen so much snow in my entire life.
You should have saw the one in 99. It was a little worse. It was almost to the point where there was NO WHERE for the snow to be shoveled. There where hills of shoveled snow on the corner high enough to almost block your vision when driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago