Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 04:06 PM

269 posts, read 715,122 times

Advertisements

Heh... that looks fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 04:38 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,846,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Car is stuck outside here. Hahahahahahahaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
And it's abandoned.
Add one more to the "Don't Overestimate the Capabilities of Your Vehicle" file: today as I was shoveling I watched some guys struggle down the street in a Toyota RAV-4. They'd go about 10 feet, get out, shovel, go about 10 more feet, get out shovel, etc. I thought to myself, "what are you doucheballs gonna do, shovel your way around town?" After about an hour they made it halfway down the block, abandoned their plan, shoveled out a place to park, parked it, and walked back whence they came.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:45 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,233,674 times
I'm wondering how long it'll be until most of the sidestreets have a plow come through.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:50 PM

367 posts, read 914,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Add one more to the "Don't Overestimate the Capabilities of Your Vehicle" file: today as I was shoveling I watched some guys struggle down the street in a Toyota RAV-4. They'd go about 10 feet, get out, shovel, go about 10 more feet, get out shovel, etc. I thought to myself, "what are you doucheballs gonna do, shovel your way around town?" After about an hour they made it halfway down the block, abandoned their plan, shoveled out a place to park, parked it, and walked back whence they came.

Not owning a car, it is fun to watch all of the car addicts going through withdrawal. If it is possible to get there on public trans I have no sympathy. See ya on the bus!

Old 02-02-2011, 04:50 PM

121 posts, read 336,333 times
I'm from Houston, so I didn't know what to expect. But if this was it, I am sorely underwhelmed. I thought the snow would be up to the second floor of my condo, instead it was a laughable waist high.
Maybe I just want a week full of blizzard weather so I can be buried in it. Instead there's regular traffic and people going places on the road like it was a normal sunny summer day. maybe its just all these trucks with plows ruining it for me.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:53 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,169,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluem3hatch View Post
I'm from Houston, so I didn't know what to expect. But if this was it, I am sorely underwhelmed. I thought the snow would be up to the second floor of my condo, instead it was a laughable waist high.
Maybe I just want a week full of blizzard weather so I can be buried in it. Instead there's regular traffic and people going places on the road like it was a normal sunny summer day. maybe its just all these trucks with plows ruining it for me.
Yeah. Chicago don't sleep.
IF this happened in Houston, you'd all be dead.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:57 PM

121 posts, read 336,333 times
Exactly, did you see in Dallas the jack knifed semis on the road? well that's how we are when it comes to winter weather. 1 inch of snow, better close everything. Here its like 1 day of bad snow blizzard, snow plows and your going to work the next day.

Here's wishing to apocalyptic snow to reach the Sears tower. Plow that!

Old 02-02-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
I really feel for all of you suffering through this latest onslaught and find it inconceivable that they could shut down Lake Shore Drive and leave all those people stranded for so many hours!
Not much suffering involved if you ask me. About half an hour's worth of shoveling is something many if not most of us would gladly trade against a day off work.

As for LSD being shut down and leaving people stranded.... you have it backwards. They shut it down because it came to a standstill and nobody was moving for hours, not the other way around.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:05 PM

2,299 posts, read 6,160,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluem3hatch View Post
Sorry to disappoint. Everyone else seems to be having some difficulty though.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
You should have saw the one in 99. It was a little worse. It was almost to the point where there was NO WHERE for the snow to be shoveled. There where hills of shoveled snow on the corner high enough to almost block your vision when driving.
I lived in Madison in the winter of 95/96. It was a snowy one. You know those heaps of snow you see in grocery store parking lots and the like? It took until the beginning of May for them to melt entirely. It was a bizarre sight to see snow remnants on the ground when it was 80-some degrees out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago