Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 07:21 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,843,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Most Alderman have promised by first thing tomorrow AM. I live on what may be the most "side" of all side streets in the city, and we're still waiting to be plowed. All the main arteries around us have been fine since noon or so today.
I think they hit my street just an hour or so ago, so they are likely working around the clock, good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 07:27 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,233,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
pretty happy to report that I walked to pick up a pizza from Giordano's around 7 pm and the shoveling done by neighbors on sidewalks was so immaculate I probably could have worn sandals and not gotten my feet wet. oh, and the fact Giordano's (on Milwaukee & Wisner) was even open was a blizzard miracle.
Yeah. I have to applaud my neighbors. The sidewalks were scraped and shoveled clean for at least 3 blocks on my street. Typically you only see patches of clean sidewalks, but people really banded together for this one.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:03 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,304,552 times
well today we survived our first foray into the snow (well, technically, last night was our first foray-we spent over an hour making snow forts in our back yard ). Ravenswood Ave is just a pure mess. saddest thing I saw today was some poor soul digging out his car, despite the fact that the street ended in a snow pile that must have been about 4' tall. really, what's the point of digging out your car if there's no real chance of making it down the street? the sidewalks were decent for the most part, except for the places no one bothered to shovel where one could twist and ankle trying to get through. thank god walgreens was open since we needed to restock our beer and wine supply.

schools are closed again. had I known I wouldn't be going to any classes this week, I would have gone to Vegas or something.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:04 PM

947 posts, read 2,415,191 times
I can't understand what someone was doing walking along the lake trail. Dear lord.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,846,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
saddest thing I saw today was some ******* digging out his car, despite the fact that the street ended in a snow pile that must have been about 4' tall. really, what's the point of digging out your car if there's no real chance of making it down the street?
The point is, when a plow finally comes down the street and clears out that 4' snow pile, your car is basically dug out and ready to roll. Granted, you'll probably have to dig out again after the plow comes through, but it's easier to shovel 20 inches twice than 40 inches once.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:09 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,146,512 times
Just out of curiosity, how many miles of side streets does Chicago have?

Old 02-02-2011, 08:13 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,846,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I'm guessing about 3,000 miles. And that doesn't count the alleys that need to be cleared out too.

2,299 posts, read 6,160,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Tons, it's practically unmeasurable. I just got an email from the Village of Oak Lawn, they promise to have all the side streets clear for the morning rush hour tomorrow. That's an awful lot of plowing as well.

6,025 posts, read 15,304,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The point is, when a plow finally comes down the street and clears out that 4' snow pile, your car is basically dug out and ready to roll. Granted, you'll probably have to dig out again after the plow comes through, but it's easier to shovel 20 inches twice than 40 inches once.
yeah, I've never had a car, so that makes sense.

as a side note, I don't get why the word schm-uck was censored.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:20 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,227,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
yeah, I've never had a car, so that makes sense.

as a side note, I don't get why the word schm-uck was censored.
Plus with the temps dropping, you don't want your car trapped in ice tomorrow morning.

The street lights are dead on my block. Its pitch black. I hope no one is out there trying to walk since shoveling came to a screeching halt about 5:30pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago