Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the west side of Chicago resemble a third world country?
Yes. 8 47.06%
No. 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 09:33 AM

504 posts, read 1,579,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
btw, this is a good illustration of why kids growing up in parts of Chicago have so many problems simply "appreciating" how good they have it relative to 3rd worlders: Family: Boy beaten to death after resisting gang - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/09/boy-16-found-slain-on-far-south-side.html - broken link)
This is a shame. Come on Chicago get it together. I've been to your fine city a few years ago but I see its out of control to go back.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:27 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2va76 View Post
This is a shame. Come on Chicago get it together. I've been to your fine city a few years ago but I see its out of control to go back.
I don't think you ever been to that part of the city.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:01 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2va76 View Post
What? The ghettos were far worse in the 80's and 90's.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:09 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
What? The ghettos were far worse in the 80's and 90's.
People tend to forget that. Even in the 70s, Chicago had close to 1,000 murders. I guess because of the recent national attention of over 30 Chicago teens getting killed, it make Chicago look like one big gangsta city.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:39 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
People tend to forget that. Even in the 70s, Chicago had close to 1,000 murders. I guess because of the recent national attention of over 30 Chicago teens getting killed, it make Chicago look like one big gangsta city.
true. but kids dying over nothing deserves news attention.

BTW. I heard nas wrote some sort of letter about the kid who got beaten in roseland

Old 09-28-2009, 08:45 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
lol no... I've been to many 3rd world countries and several "4th world" or ldc's in sub saharan africa...not even close as bad conditions

Old 09-29-2009, 01:39 AM

48 posts, read 131,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MozartSt View Post
Johannesburg is following Detroit in quick order too.
Your knowledge of JHB is lacking. JHB is in the middle of a large building boom, Detroit isn't. There are few similarities.

Does this look like Detroit?

SSC Joburg Tour...

Last edited by Cuito; 09-29-2009 at 01:53 AM..

Old 09-29-2009, 01:55 AM

48 posts, read 131,464 times
More JHB:

Old 09-29-2009, 02:57 PM

374 posts, read 1,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresadAvila View Post
Do you think Detroit is indicative of a First World country???? Obviously, you've never been to Japan or Europe. I would compare Detroit and the Westside to the Third World, easily.
I would too and to be truthful and honest with you, Detroit as well as other cities including inner city Chicago have been compared to cities in Third World countries in numerous research studies. I recently saw an article that compared New Orleans murder rate to that of Johannasburg and Cape Town.... Heres where the problem lies... People who view third world countries such as South Africa believe that the majority of Africa looks similar to what they see on television when in fact, cities in South Africa (although still poor) are more developed than the rural parts of South Africa. Step into rural South Africa and its a different story, but tell that to someone who thinks inner cities in America dont have it as bad as cities in Africa and they'll say your nuts just as those in this thread.... I agree with this post, but to those who think otherwise, Do some research people!!!! No the slums of America are definitely not even close to slums in developing counties, but there is a reason why research analyst actually compare American slums to those in developing areas... If your not a part of the solution your a part of the problem...

Old 10-20-2009, 03:31 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triton1 View Post
I go through the west side of chicago quite a bit, especially when going and hanging out at the Garfield Park Conservatory. On the way to and from the conservatory, i see a lot of very run down looking areas that have boarded up windows with bars in them, a lot of vacant store fronts with trash littering the sidewalks, vacant lots with weeds and trees literally covering the ground to heights of up to a few feet, as well as even graffiti on the walls. also, I had a respite worker who lived on the 1500 block of south komensky avenue who was so low income that whenever she'd get gasoline, she would almost never put more than $5 into the tank. Also, i even see quite a few entire apartment buildings that are vacant along south Central Park Avenue. When riding the cermak branch of the Blue Line rapid transit, i also have seen roofs that look like they were through a cyclone, holes in the sheathing, missing tiles, visibly sagging supports, and some only covered by tarpaper. From my experience, it sure seems that poverty is quite widespread on the west side. Has anyone else had that type of experience on chicago's west side?
I would comment on why this is so, but I would guess I would get a suspension and points if I was honest, so I will not say anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: