U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 06:52 PM

2,429 posts, read 2,237,303 times
Default What's with those strange Chicago addresses?

As many times as I've been to the Second City I'm still a bit mystified by some of the addresses that I think are downright kooky, though I guess Chicagoans are used to them with their confusing directionals:

South South Shore Drive
Isn't this just the same as South Lake Shore Drive?
South East End Ave
Since East End isn't on the north side why isn't it just East End Ave?
West North St
This makes NO sense that I can figure out. Is there an East North St?
North Southport
This one just sounds downright schizophrenic

Idiosyncrancies, good reasons for this, or something else? And are there other directionally-challenged streets I don't know about? Save me from getting lost on my next trip to Chicago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 07:10 PM

41 posts, read 34,876 times
Chicago is on a grid based on State St for east to west and Madison St. north to south. Thus the "South" in 7900 S. South Shore Dr is part of the address. Simple enough and far simpler than learning or worrying about the trivial exceptions and oddities that bother you.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:13 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,783,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
As many times as I've been to the Second City I'm still a bit mystified by some of the addresses that I think are downright kooky, though I guess Chicagoans are used to them with their confusing directionals:

South South Shore Drive

No Lake Shore Drive is a pseduo expressway and at the south end of it; It splits into Jeffery BLVD and South Shore.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:16 PM

36,078 posts, read 55,982,669 times
Quote:

South South Shore Drive
South East End Ave
West North St
North Southport

Idiosyncrancies, good reasons for this, or something else? And are there other directionally-challenged streets I don't know about? Save me from getting lost on my next trip to Chicago!
It's simple really. Every address in Chicago has a cardinal direction (N/S/E/W) centered at the intersection of State and Madison streets. Every address on a north/south street north of Madison has an N between the number and street name or an S if if it's south of Madison; every address on an east/west street east of State has an E between the number and street name or a W if it's west of State. But some streets also have a cardinal direction in their name, such as those you named above. Most people seem to have little difficulty distinguishing between the cardinal direction of the address and a street name that might happen to have a cardinal direction in it.

There is no east North Street (it's actually North Avenue) because it doesn't go far enough east. [ETA: I take that back, there is one block of North Avenue that is east of State therefore there that block is "E. North Avenue."] Because of how the lake shapes Chicago's geography and where the center of the cardinal orientation is with respect to the lake, only a very very small portion of the north side has "east" addresses -- there are no "E" addresses north of North Avenue.

No, South Shore Drive is not the same as Lake Shore Drive. They are different streets. East End Avenue isn't just East End Avenue because every address has a cardinal direction, even those on East End Avenue.

Last edited by Drover; 02-04-2011 at 07:39 PM..

Old 02-04-2011, 07:17 PM

3,585 posts, read 6,460,107 times
Quote:

South South Shore Drive
Well the street is South Shore Drive. Since you need directional words in Chicago, the addresses are on S. South Shore Drive.
Quote:
No, not at all. Actually, there are no addresses on Lake Shore Drive.
Quote:
South East End Ave
Because each street in Chicago has a directional prefix.
Quote:
West North St
The east end of North Avenue is in the lake.

Quote:
North Southport
Not if you figure 'Southport' is a street.

Quote:

Look, you didn't even mention East South Water St. or South South Chicago Avenue.!

Old 02-04-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
State street seperates east from west and Madison north from south. Due to the curve of the lake chicago pretends like state street still exsists for much of the north side. An addres of N. Western ave. is on the north side of the city and address of S. Western ave is on the south side(south of madison).

Due to the curve of the lake chicago does not have much of an east side but an address of east means east of state street. Like East 95th street.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:25 PM

Actually there are some address on a short stretch of a street called lake shore drive(right next to lake shore drive) on the north side but that is another story.

Last edited by chirack; 02-04-2011 at 08:09 PM..

Old 02-04-2011, 07:35 PM

36,078 posts, read 55,982,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
There are a lot of addresses on Lake Shore Drive. In fact some of the most prestigious addresses in the city are on the short, anomalous stretch of E. Lake Shore Drive.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:36 PM

3,585 posts, read 6,460,107 times
Look to your home city! How can there be a downtown in Brooklyn and a downtown in Manhattan? How can Broadway not be a street or an avenue? Its just Broadway. How can Manhattan have a George Washington Bridge and a Washington Bridge? Are there any shrubs in Madison Square Garden?

How can South Ozone Park, Jamaica and Springfield Gardens all be addresses in NYC? Why isn't Brooklyn Long Island and why isn't City Island an island?

If Riverdale is in the Bronx, why does no one ever say that? What the hell is a Throg and and why is its neck in the Bronx?

Old 02-05-2011, 12:43 AM

4,094 posts, read 1,145,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Huh?

There is inner Lake Shore Drive and outer Lake Shore Drive. Inner Lake Shore Drive has addresses; outer Lake Shore Drive doesn't. From Irving Park all the way down to Wacker there are plenty of buildings with an address on Lake Shore Drive.

North of Irving Park, inner Lake Shore Drive turns into Marine Drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Actually there are some address on a short stretch of a street called lake shore drive(right next to lake shore drive) on the north side but that is another story.
I didn't know that a street that roughly goes from Uptown to Streeterville is a "short stretch."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago