U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 10:17 PM

2,481 posts, read 3,135,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
But this thread is about Chicago or Madison. Not Oak Park or Madison.
I see nowhere in this thread where the OP explicitly said she had to live strictly within the Chicago city limits if she were to move here.

From this board, it appears that many Chicagoans are pretty adamant about dismissing any and all suburbs, whether near or far, as being "not Chicago". However, one must remember that not all outsiders necessarily think that way. From what I've observed, that mode of thinking is much less common in other metro areas than it appears to be in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 10:19 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,034,630 times
I hear ya... You are right tuna.

Well, a single parent with a 12 year old may still be interested.....

Oak Park 2 bedroom

So it is possible... took me 1 minute to find.

2 bedroom in Oak park, right on Oak Park avenue central location and can walk to the Blue line in less then 5 minutes or drive to expressway in 1 minute. Downtown is easy access. Maybe faster then living in some areas of the North side. But it depends what you want I guess.

But yeah, smack me. It isn't Chicago and I would still prefer to live in the city myself. But this is still pretty good for her criteria and is as close as you could want.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:51 PM

4,094 posts, read 1,161,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
From this board, it appears that many Chicagoans are pretty adamant about dismissing any and all suburbs, whether near or far, as being "not Chicago".
That is because the suburbs are not Chicago. They all have their own names.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
I hear ya... You are right tuna.

Well, a single parent with a 12 year old may still be interested.....

Oak Park 2 bedroom

So it is possible... took me 1 minute to find.

2 bedroom in Oak park, right on Oak Park avenue central location and can walk to the Blue line in less then 5 minutes or drive to expressway in 1 minute. Downtown is easy access. Maybe faster then living in some areas of the North side. But it depends what you want I guess.

But yeah, smack me. It isn't Chicago and I would still prefer to live in the city myself. But this is still pretty good for her criteria and is as close as you could want.
I did noticed that place when I was looking around earlier. But it is a rarity, not to mention a garden apartment.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:18 AM

5,449 posts, read 6,160,396 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il?
Really?

I live in Oak Park, and although it is not in Chicago proper, I feel as if it absolutely has all these things.

Good for you.

But this thread is about Chicago or Madison. Not Oak Park or Madison.

By the way, try finding a 2 bedroom under $950 in Oak Park that is not near the ghetto known as Austin. You ain't gonna find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj31young
Can you recommend any neighborhoods that are not too expensive (rent is up to 950 for a 2br) and safer than the "the hood"?
Quote:
This is like watching an old SNL clip of "The church lady" or maybe "#nal retentive chef"? jeez, talk about splitting hairs.................

Old 02-15-2011, 08:44 AM

5,201 posts, read 4,327,698 times
Quote:
From this board, it appears that many Chicagoans are pretty adamant about dismissing any and all suburbs, whether near or far, as being "not Chicago". However, one must remember that not all outsiders necessarily think that way. From what I've observed, that mode of thinking is much less common in other metro areas than it appears to be in Chicago.
I don't dismiss the suburbs by any stretch, but no, they aren't interchangeable with Chicago.

When any given burb wants to consolidate their public school system with ours, then they can make that claim.

Also, keep in mind that City workers do have to live in the city limits, so there are a lot of reasons why people get touchy about the subject.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I don't dismiss the suburbs by any stretch, but no, they aren't interchangeable with Chicago.
I recommend suburbs to people all of the time. I even recommend living in the suburbs instead of the city when appropriate. I have no idea how people make these claims that a many of the people in Chicago on this board dismiss the burbs.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
So do the suburbs of all other cities. But I don't see this kind of pickiness elsewhere. Nowadays, people typically use a city name to refer to that city and its entire metro area -- the thinking being that the metro area as a whole is what is relevant and important, not merely the city proper, although the metro area is defined by its major city.

As of now I have no evidence that the OP wasn't thinking in those terms (if she wasn't, let's let her clarify). Therefore, IMHO, it is not at all inappropriate to suggest a suburban area to the OP that might be a good fit for her needs.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
So do the suburbs of all other cities..
Of New York and L.A.? Doubtful.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Of New York and L.A.? Doubtful.
Yes, I am quite sure that the suburbs of New York and L.A. all have their own names. White Plains, Scarsdale, Beverly Hills, Pasadena, to name just a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago