Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:41 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times

Advertisements

feb 24? uhh yeah it will still be cold it's -20F right now wind chill..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 12:23 AM

42 posts, read 35,646 times
It's about multiple layers and complete skin cover. So where a scarf over your face, gloves, and hat with anything below 30 degrees.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:25 AM

8 posts, read 21,836 times
Default REI & Lands End

We get our gear from REI and Lands End. I love REI because they have a 100% satisfaction policy. They have knowledgable sales staff and will take the time to listen and outfit you properly and you can get everything you need at one store. Lands End is good, much less expensive, but a more limited selection. Eddie Bauer is also good. It's possible to do well at resale shops, but they are hit and miss, of course.

IMO- Get stuff that you like and the best you can afford, because winters are long and you'll be wearing this stuff a lot. Welcome!!

Old 02-10-2011, 08:32 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
LL Bean is another good source - check out their website, I think they have all the winter stuff on sale. I got a great parka there that's been great in this weather. Generally in Chicago you need a whole range of coats and jackets to deal with the range of temperatures we get in a year. Layering is key, silk, wool, fleece are all great, cotton is not great if it gets wet.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:27 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashastring View Post
I'm moving to Chicago from San Diego and have no clothes for this kind of climate (except for snowboarding clothes). Which shops are the best for warm coats, snow boots, etc?
I highly recommend zappos.com for shoes. Just read the reviews and you'll have a good idea of what you're getting into. They seem to have a large selection, too. Plus the free shipping both ways makes it easy. The last 3 time I ordered from them I had my shoes the very next day, too.

Personally, I have been wearing these awful Doc Marten shoes that I bought when they were "cool" back when I was in high school (my 10 year reunion was last year, sigh) to get through the snow. They keep my feet warmer than a lot of shoes because the sole is so thick. Then, when I get to work I change into the black heels I've been leaving here. In the summer I don't bother with wearing one pair for walking and another in the office, but I find it difficult to find anything that's really attractive and snow-worthy.

I also definitely recommend getting a longer coat, like others have said. The cold is totally relative here though. Right now 65 degrees would feel hot and people would be parading around in shorts and flip flops. If there was a day with a high of 65 in August, people would feel cold. For me at least, I find that I adjust during the year and just get used to the warmer/colder temps. I'll shock your body at first, but I think you'll find you get used to it and the coldness isn't as bad as it sounds.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:14 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
You could always go to an outdoors store like REI if you have them in San Diego, shops like that have a lot of stuff for skiing. At least here in the Bay Area it's easy to get warm coats here even though it never gets below 40 degrees because so many people go skiing in Tahoe. For the 30's and low 40's a down coat with a good sweater should be good, below that you might want to get long underwear under your pants if you spend a lot of time outside, I know I would.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:14 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
Lands End, zappos, shoe mall on line, footsmart, massey's. The first for outerwear and the rest for boots.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:00 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashastring View Post
Which shops are the best for warm coats, snow boots, etc?
It depends on what type of budget you will have.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:05 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
feb 24? uhh yeah it will still be cold it's -20F right now wind chill..
The average high for the last week of February is 37-38 and the average low is 21-22.

With a system coming in to warm us up to regular and above average highs starting tomorrow,the high very well could be anywhere from 35 to 50 on February 24.

But of course this will be cold to a South African!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: