Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 03:49 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,774 times

Advertisements

Personally, I always wanted Chicago to keep growing, but then I started thinking to myself, as long as it doesn't keep shrinking I don't really mind if it doesn't grow that much more. For instance when I think of cities like Boston and San Francisco, they really don't have tremendous growth or declines but they are stable and very successful both regionally and internationally.

When I think of cities that are really growing like Houston, Phoenix, Las Vegas, I really see the problems that they are starting to have with their crazy growth. I don't want that for Chicago either.

However, I don't want Chicago to end up like Detroit, Philadelphia or Pittsburgh, where the decline is huge. That is also unhealthy. I would prefer Chicago to be stable like San Fran, Boston and even New York to an certain extent, which continues to grow but it's nothing crazy.

If most of the poor parts of the southside become vacant, I am sure it could be turned to some sort of agricultral land, bringing in local food, or even turned to a large forest, which would be cool in terms of improving the environment. Who knows, I am just ranting off, but slow and steady wins the race.

What is your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 03:56 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,198,592 times
Then southside must be filled up.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:18 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,774 times
With what would you suggest?

I actually would prefer the city to be much denser and more connected, even if it means leveling the southside where it is vacant and poor. Except with the areas that have significant buildup and architecture. While Chicago is fairly dense, it is also fragmented to industrial areas in all parts of the city. I would like Chicago to become much more connected. For instance even though Wicker Park/Bucktown border Lincoln Park walking from one to the other is not a pleasant experience and does make it feel disconnected. There are countless other neighborhoods like that.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:23 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
I actually would prefer the city to be much denser and more connected, even if it means leveling the southside where it is vacant and poor.
Half of it already has been leveled. There are many great historic pieces of architecture left, although we have lost far too many already. They need to be protected.

The buildings are not the problem on the south side, the people are.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:35 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Leveling stuff seems like a really awful idea...

There are lot of opportunities for a guy like Rahm to get his investment banker buddies to take advantage of the powers of nearly free money and eminent domain to "redevelop" parts of the far SE side and other stretches of Chicago that are basically vacant right now.

If it done right, with appropriate breaks to side step ridiculous regulations and taxes, the actual job creation could be impressive -- from various kinds of manufacturing and warehousing / logistics these could be good paying jobs for those with persistently high employment due to low skills. PLUS all of Rahms pals from the world of high finance could feel could while makingmout like bandits.

That won't do much to directly "shrink" the distance from any of the north side neighborhoods you are worried about, but if the City can stabilize population it will have to focus on those areas that are currently empty.

Any green fantasies about forest or farms are losing propositions -- even the most ridiculous Al Gore style carbon credits systems would be a joke when considering the modest amount of land inside the City limits -- take a look at map that has Texas or Alaska or the Great Plains states or South American rainforest on an Cook Co is like a pimple on the tail fluke of a Blue Whale...

Old 02-17-2011, 05:50 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
take a look at map that has Texas or Alaska or the Great Plains states or South American rainforest on an Cook Co is like a pimple on the tail fluke of a Blue Whale...
Much of the South American rain forest was farmland before the great Indian die off after European diseases hit the New World in the 1500s. It was only then that much of that land became forest. The same is true of much of the forests of the eastern United States; farmland in the early 1500s reverted to forest after the Indians died off in incredibly huge numbers from Old World diseases.

Just thought I'd throw that in.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:27 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Half of it already has been leveled. There are many great historic pieces of architecture left, although we have lost far too many already. They need to be protected.

The buildings are not the problem on the south side, the people are.
I wouldn't say that half of the south side has been 'leveled' as you put it. It is interesting to see so many posts from people trashing the south side of the city. The side of town where I was born and raised.

There is more money on the north side of the city compared to the south side. That being said there are still plenty of people living on the south side that are doing quite well. I don't think that I could live on the north side. There are way too many snobbish people up there. Many of these folks are quite ordinary at that.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Much of the South American rain forest was farmland before the great Indian die off after European diseases hit the New World in the 1500s. It was only then that much of that land became forest. The same is true of much of the forests of the eastern United States; farmland in the early 1500s reverted to forest after the Indians died off in incredibly huge numbers from Old World diseases.

Just thought I'd throw that in.
Now this is interesting. They don't teach this in school. Do you have any book recommendations to read on these topics?

Old 02-17-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I wouldn't say that half of the south side has been 'leveled' as you put it.
I am speaking of the South Side in the traditonal term, not all of the city south of Madison.

I was not including the Southwest Side,Southeast Side,the south part of downtown and part of the West Side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
That being said there are still plenty of people living on the south side that are doing quite well. I don't think that I could live on the north side. There are way too many snobbish people up there. Many of these folks are quite ordinary at that.
I don't doubt that one bit. I am a North Sider and I can admit there are plenty of snobbish fools along the lakefront. You won't get an argument from me there.

Last edited by tonythetuna; 02-17-2011 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: forgot some info

Old 02-17-2011, 06:36 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
I am speaking of the South Side in the traditonal term, not all of the city south of Madison.

I was not including the Southwest Side and Southeast Side.
I tend to view the south side as a whole. When you think about it, it's a pretty large and diverse area.

There is a lot of potential for development on the south side. Maybe when the economy picks up we will see more things happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago