U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-21-2011, 08:05 PM

18 posts, read 19,439 times
Default Megabus and Chicago weather

Has anyone taken the megabus before, particulary from the Milwaukee airport to Chicago?

The flights directly to Chicago would have been $200 (for two people) more expensive than this option.
Should I just take the amtrak?
How long is the drive from Milwaukee airport to Chicago? I know amtrak is about 1.5 hours.

and I know the forecast calls for a possible snow shower for the weekend. I plan on flying out Friday morning from so.cal ...should I be okay with delays and flight cancelations? My interview is on Saturday morning (8am). I CANNOT miss it whatsoever. I have no clue about midwest weather since I lived in LA all my life. So I'm sorry if this question sounds a bit stupid. ^_^

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 08:37 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,615,436 times
Snow showers may slow the airport, delay your flight and very rarely cancel it(more owing to reduced airport capacity than to totally impossible to travel). It won't shut down the airports(unless we get 6+ inches of snow).

Snow showers can delay or cancel the bus if you are flying out of Milwaukee. The other big warning is that weather over that kind of distance can be rather variable. Milwaukee could be hit with more snow and Chicago spared or vice versa.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:09 PM

8,903 posts, read 10,218,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwonkim89 View Post
Has anyone taken the megabus before, particulary from the Milwaukee airport to Chicago?

The flights directly to Chicago would have been $200 (for two people) more expensive than this option.
Should I just take the amtrak?
How long is the drive from Milwaukee airport to Chicago? I know amtrak is about 1.5 hours.

and I know the forecast calls for a possible snow shower for the weekend. I plan on flying out Friday morning from so.cal ...should I be okay with delays and flight cancelations? My interview is on Saturday morning (8am). I CANNOT miss it whatsoever. I have no clue about midwest weather since I lived in LA all my life. So I'm sorry if this question sounds a bit stupid. ^_^

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated

First, weather forecasts that are five days out are generally very inaccurate. They will change at least twice before then.

Amtrak is a better option than Megabus as the Amtrak station is adjacent to the airport. You need to go downtown to get the Megabus.

Megabus rarely shuts down for much less than a blizzard.

And you can always rent a car for the 90 minute drive.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:38 PM

4,094 posts, read 960,259 times
It depends on where in Chicago or the Chicago area you are going.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:43 PM

ooh thank you for your responses. I will be arriving in Milwaukee and going up to chicago. Hmmm....I don't know about renting a car because I have never driven in snow before haha. Sounds a bit frightening to me especially in an area I am not familiar with.

I think the Megabus makes a stop at the Milwaukee airport. Correct me if I am wrong. Both the amtrak and megabus will take me to Chicago union station where I will take the bus to my hotel by the Merchandise Mart.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:45 PM

4,094 posts, read 960,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwonkim89 View Post
Both the amtrak and megabus will take me to Chicago union station where I will take the bus to my hotel by the Merchandise Mart.
You can walk to your hotel from Union Station as long as you don't have a lot of bags. If you do, I would cab it.

Last edited by tonythetuna; 02-21-2011 at 10:45 PM..

Old 02-21-2011, 10:41 PM

258 posts, read 398,745 times
Megabus doesn't go to Mitchell Airport. If you're determined to use Megabus, you can take a local bus from the airport to College Ave. Park & Ride, where Megabus will supposedly pick you up. There's no indoor shelter to wait in.

Amtrak's your best bet to downtown Chicago. The only bus service between Chicago and MKE is CoachUSA, which drops you at O'Hare, not downtown.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:15 PM

amtrak it is! thank you all~

Old 02-22-2011, 08:17 AM

2,685 posts, read 3,099,608 times
We got a little snow today, and if it does snow on Friday it looks to be a small snowfall (similar to today's). Check the flights and train you'll be taking on Friday to see if they are delayed today. I doubt they are, but if so expect the same issues on Friday. There's no guarantee that conditions will be the same, but it should give you a better idea of what to expect.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:50 AM

8,869 posts, read 12,516,158 times
I wouldn't OVERLY worry about the snow. I find people who aren't from the Midwest have this vision that it snows every single day during the winter. It can snow, but generally on any given day you're not going to see any. Maybe once a week or so with some random snow or even a few inches if you're lucky, with a snowstorm that actually gets people talking and disrupts life maybe two or three times a season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago