Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 09:30 PM

13 posts, read 48,397 times

Advertisements

For the downtown set I love Star of Siam/Singha/Dao... I think there are all sister restaurants? I contend it's the best Pad Thai in the city.

For "student" thai (i.e no ambiance, large portions, plastic cups, cheap) I say Thai Bowl out near UIC.

One the south side Bamboo Blue does pretty interesting (if a tad "fusiony") dishes, while Siam Marina mentioned above beats most "city" Thai I've encountered if you are looking for more traditional. Worth the trip...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 10:20 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,417,868 times
More good Thai restaurants to mention:

Evanston: Thai Sookdee
Chicago Loop area (Jackson & State, possibly more locations as well, I think Randolph & Michigan roughly): My Thai

The bottom line is if you look at the Chicagoland area (city + burbs), there are a ton of great Thai restaurants. It's much much more common now than it was say 20 years ago. Thai restaurants in Chicagoland today are in the position that Chinese restaurants were at one time in this region I'd say. You can pretty much find good ones all over the metro area.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:57 PM

172 posts, read 438,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
The bottom line is if you look at the Chicagoland area (city + burbs), there are a ton of great Thai restaurants. It's much much more common now than it was say 20 years ago. Thai restaurants in Chicagoland today are in the position that Chinese restaurants were at one time in this region I'd say. You can pretty much find good ones all over the metro area.
The bad thing is that there is also a lot of not so good Thai places. With Thai food becoming so popular....it is also becoming more Americanized. You are right that there are lots of good Thai restuarants.....probably because there are a lot of Thai restaurants period. It is hard to know if a restaurant is good if you have never been there. I just wish there was a good Thai restaurant in Cicero.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:23 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
There are several good ones in Lincoln Square.

My favorites are Spoon Thai and Opart Thai.

Duck Walk on Belmont in Lakeview is good, too.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:09 PM

456 posts, read 1,576,728 times
Thai Village on Division and Damen for sure!

Old 07-30-2007, 07:08 PM
mdz mdz started this thread

622 posts, read 2,619,596 times
Really enjoy Mama Thai in Oak Park.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:50 PM

454 posts, read 505,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi2NYC? View Post
no, i actually meant that the curry i've had is less thick. it's as if they water down the coconut milk. thanks for the recommendation.
Thai curries in Thailand are basically like soup - the consistency of coconut milk *is* watery. Very different from Indian curries.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:05 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katmoney View Post
Thai Village on Division and Damen for sure!
Believe it or not, I've only had Thai once, and it was here. So i guess I dont have much to compare it too, but i would imagine in the scheme of things it would rank as average. not saying bad, just didnt "wow". the lunch special is nice though: $5.95 for an appetizer, soup, and an entree.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:18 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times
I refuse to take sides! All Thai is delicious! All thai is worthy of praise, nay, worship!

I just had some kheow warn from DucK Walk ^_^

Old 10-15-2007, 09:20 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Oh man. I'm glad you bumped this thread. I have a new one. Cozy Noodles. It's on Sheffield in Wrigleyville, but feels kinda tucked away for that neighborhood. I've only eaten there a few times, but it is by-god delicious. It really is a cozy spot. The tables are old sewing machine bases with cool mosaic tops. Old tin toys. Very cool. And, for the love of goodness, go into the restrooms. I'm serious. I won't tell you what's in there. But go. Seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago