Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 08:04 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,372,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Who said it is not improving?

But of course, not all of Rogers Park is improving. Some parts are getting worse.

I want all of Rogers Park to get better. Don't think for one minute that I don't.
I don't think anybody is. It is just people being honest. I couldn't say with a straight face to pick Rogers Park over Ravenswood though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 11:56 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,221,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I don't think anybody is. It is just people being honest. I couldn't say with a straight face to pick Rogers Park over Ravenswood though.
That's what everyone is saying, I suppose. And to be honest, even a RP booster would have to concede to the facts. Nobody wants neighborhoods to suck, but reality is what it is.

Like mentioned, if the economy does start to recover and more educated people with money wanted lakefront property, RP would probably be a good choice to look into for the long run. The neighborhood has a university and el access, and that is a lot going for it.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:40 PM

400 posts, read 952,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Who said it is not improving?

But of course, not all of Rogers Park is improving. Some parts are getting worse.

I want all of Rogers Park to get better. Don't think for one minute that I don't.

Which parts would you say are getting worse?

Old 03-15-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
You get more for your money in Rogers Park.
I can say that with a straight face.
I can also say with a straight face that my area around
Morse, namely Wayne and Morse is a great place to live
and for the money you get alot.

Living west of the Morse EL stop
would put you inbetween the Redline and Metra.
Not too many places like that in the city.

Last edited by xavier xerxes; 03-15-2011 at 04:34 PM..

Old 03-15-2011, 09:02 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,773,911 times
I've heard that west Rogers park is nicer than east Rogers park. A friend of mine who lived on the east side witnessed a guy pulling another out of his car window and beat him to a pulp right out side her apartment. She also witnessed 2 shootings, 1 in broad daylight at a big intersection. Also gun fire on a regular basis. And friend experienced constant harassment walking home, being called a white b.itch on a regular basis... Irony is she was actually Mexican.

I don't like generalizing about an entire area, and I've never lived there, only visit from time to time, so take it for what it's worth. Maybe there are nicer areas compared to where my friends lived, but I'd personally prefer living in ravenswood... To each their own.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
I've heard that west Rogers park is nicer than east Rogers park. A friend of mine who lived on the east side witnessed a guy pulling another out of his car window and beat him to a pulp right out side her apartment. She also witnessed 2 shootings, 1 in broad daylight at a big intersection. Also gun fire on a regular basis. And friend experienced constant harassment walking home, being called a white b.itch on a regular basis... Irony is she was actually Mexican.

I don't like generalizing about an entire area, and I've never lived there, only visit from time to time, so take it for what it's worth. Maybe there are nicer areas compared to where my friends lived, but I'd personally prefer living in ravenswood... To each their own.

West RP > East RP?
Nah.....

East RP = Rogers Park
West RP = West Ridge

Rogers Park the eastern part is better, along the lake,
sheridan, by Loyola EL stop and Morse EL stop, anyways
we have talked about that alot, the area by Clark yeah isnt as good
and yeah its patchy, depends.... Just like West Ridge
so even with making generalizations

West RP > East RP isnt a good generalization.
West Ridge has good and bad parts as well.
Overall I would argue that East RP > West RP
especially in its future trajectory.
In general city data forumers can be pessimistic
and cant see trends.

Gunfire on a regular basis? Nope. Not like Uptown.
Nonspecific info, not helpful,
we already have blogs and a thread here that
keeps track of local occurences.

Sure to each their own.
I prefer living in RP, because I was able to afford
a place to buy that was multiunit and be by the lake and public transportation.

Thats the huge bonus in living in RP proper
a beach within walking distance, thats
what ravenswood obviously doesnt have.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier xerxes View Post
West RP > East RP?
Nah.....

East RP = Rogers Park
West RP = West Ridge

Rogers Park the eastern part is better, along the lake,
sheridan, by Loyola EL stop and Morse EL stop, anyways
we have talked about that alot, the area by Clark yeah isnt as good
and yeah its patchy, depends.... Just like West Ridge
so even with making generalizations

West RP > East RP isnt a good generalization.
West Ridge has good and bad parts as well.
Overall I would argue that East RP > West RP
especially in its future trajectory.
In general city data forumers can be pessimistic
and cant see trends.

Gunfire on a regular basis? Nope. Not like Uptown.
Nonspecific info, not helpful,
we already have blogs and a thread here that
keeps track of local occurences.

Sure to each their own.
I prefer living in RP, because I was able to afford
a place to buy that was multiunit and be by the lake and public transportation.

Thats the huge bonus in living in RP proper
a beach within walking distance, thats
what ravenswood obviously doesnt have.
As I said, I'm only going by what friends of mine who live there said. They have experienced gunfire on a regular basis, you haven't, that doesn't mean they haven't. They lived relatively close to the Howard red line stop, and the events I mentioned happened close by... no street names, sorry.

Close to the beach, that's wonderful... I'd take less crime over beach access any day, but that's just me.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:44 AM

12,385 posts, read 28,372,317 times
Quote:
I'd take less crime over beach access any day, but that's just me.
ding ding ding...

so I'm not sure how you really get "more for your money"

of course you get more SPACE for your money there, but you also lose the location in Ravenswood, and trade that for Rogers Park which is on the extreme north border of the city, while Ravenswood is smack in the middle of some the nicer northside neighborhoods, and is one in itself.

NW is Lincoln Square, NE is Andersonville, SE is Wrigleyville, SW is Roscoe Village/North Center. You could easily walk to all of those from Ravenswood, as well getting to LP/Wicker Park is pretty fast, also closer to DT.
Rogers Park has Loyola and you can take the Purple into Evanston, plus the beach. Edgewater close to Rogers Park is honestly pretty meh in terms of things to do at least going down broadway and sheridan. West Ridge is boring. The Desi corridor on Devon is cool.

So, I'd say you pay for what you get, and that Ravenswood is actually the better value, and proximity to Loyola and Northwestern jacks up the price of Rogers Park, where Ravenswood is just enough out of the "hipper neighborhoods" to still be close and affordable (as well as less activity, so safer and quieter) That is, if that is what you are looking for. I think a married couple would definitely prefer it but... I guess you guys can argue it all you want. While Rogers Park often gets a bad rep, that certainly doesn't mean it is a better choice over Ravenswood. Rogers Park is suitable to many tastes, but for the OP... I think it would be dumb to pick Rogers Park over RW with his criteria and situation given he had narrowed it down to those two so far and needed to be off the Metra. Furthemore, I'm not sure how you could possibly rationalize Rogers Park over RW in his situation. Since he is bringing a female, I'll also weigh in on that. I would feel perfectly comfortable with my gf walking around any part of Ravenswood late at night, on the other hand, I don't even feel comfortable walking around *several* areas of Rogers Park late at night. That concludes my input on this topic.

Last edited by grapico; 03-16-2011 at 12:52 AM..

Old 03-16-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
As I said, I'm only going by what friends of mine who live there said. They have experienced gunfire on a regular basis, you haven't, that doesn't mean they haven't. They lived relatively close to the Howard red line stop, and the events I mentioned happened close by... no street names, sorry.

Close to the beach, that's wonderful... I'd take less crime over beach access any day, but that's just me.
So this is second hand anecdotal information? Very very useful, but hey thats just me as well.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier xerxes View Post
So this is second hand anecdotal information? Very very useful, but hey thats just me as well.
Facts are facts, second hand or not. Glad to expand your knowledge of the area you live in! YOUR WELCOME!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago