Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 12:00 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkentin View Post
I moved in here to Chicago in 2008. It has been three years and I am about to leave. First of all, I am so glad I am getting out of here, because this city is the worst city I have ever lived in. People are so fake they are wearing masks outside just to be cool, and girls are trying to be one of those nonsense talking girls in Laguna Beach or BH 90210, and aged women are trying to be 18 again with the power of prozac cocktail. Again, people are so fake, I mean I have never ever seen this many back stabbing people in my life. If I am stereotyping SO BE IT!! People do say hi but if you are not "one of them" no one gives a damn about you. It's like socially engineered and I do not know the password to enter the game. In three years I figured that every single girl I tried to date is LOST, meaning she doesn't know what she wants because she thinks she might find her white prince Hedge Fund manager one day and that is why she keeps you waiting and waiting until you are like WTF? It sucks! I mean living in here became a disease for me, but I couldn't get out because of my degree (thank god at least school went smoothly!.) Other thing is, it is segregated, corrupted, you name it. Compare to other cities I lived in including NYC, I am so glad I will be out of here pre soon. After this miserable experience with this city for the past three years, I figured out I can live anywhere but Chicago!!!
Have you ever thought that your dating problems aren't the girl, but you? I think your problem is you were too busy complaining to enjoy yourself here. You wont be missed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 12:25 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
He's clearly had some personal experiences in the city and needed to get it off his chest. A little venting is okay if it really makes you feel better, even if it's a little misguided.

OP: As other posters have said, you may find that a change of venue won't change the problems you are having. As easy as it is to make Chicago the scapegoat, it probably isn't very helpful. If everyone in Chicago felt the same way you do, there wouldn't be 3 million people there. Another thing you should keep in mind is that there are malicious, shallow, and fake people everywhere. Everywhere.

So you should really really think about this question: is it really Chicago, or is it how you are approaching the situations that is ultimately causing you pain?

If it really is Chicago, then maybe a move is best for you. Either way, I hope that you can ultimately find happiness no matter where you end up.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:27 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
He's clearly had some personal experiences in the city and needed to get it off his chest.
That is what Craigslist Rants and Raves section is for.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:30 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkentin View Post
I moved in here to Chicago in 2008. It has been three years and I am about to leave. First of all, I am so glad I am getting out of here, because this city is the worst city I have ever lived in. People are so fake they are wearing masks outside just to be cool, and girls are trying to be one of those nonsense talking girls in Laguna Beach or BH 90210, and aged women are trying to be 18 again with the power of prozac cocktail. Again, people are so fake, I mean I have never ever seen this many back stabbing people in my life. If I am stereotyping SO BE IT!! People do say hi but if you are not "one of them" no one gives a damn about you. It's like socially engineered and I do not know the password to enter the game. In three years I figured that every single girl I tried to date is LOST, meaning she doesn't know what she wants because she thinks she might find her white prince Hedge Fund manager one day and that is why she keeps you waiting and waiting until you are like WTF? It sucks! I mean living in here became a disease for me, but I couldn't get out because of my degree (thank god at least school went smoothly!.) Other thing is, it is segregated, corrupted, you name it. Compare to other cities I lived in including NYC, I am so glad I will be out of here pre soon. After this miserable experience with this city for the past three years, I figured out I can live anywhere but Chicago!!!
Will you be my friend?

Old 03-13-2011, 01:34 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
I used to be angry because I had trouble meeting women. I blamed them for being shallow and unfriendly. As I matured I was able to take a closer look at the problem. You know what? It turns out I am just incredibly ugly.
Go figure.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:42 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
That is what Craigslist Rants and Raves section is for.
Really? i've never heard of such a thing...excuse me, i'm off to craigslist to get some things off my chest

Old 03-13-2011, 02:48 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
You know what? It turns out I am just incredibly ugly.
You too, eh? That's why I wear the mask. It helps with the backstabbing and my desire to be 18 again with the aid of a Prozac cocktail.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:49 PM

818 posts, read 2,171,943 times
Either way, I think it would be good for the OP to get a change of scenery. It sounds to me like the problems he has experienced have more to do with the specifics of the people he has encountered than the city as a whole. I wholeheartedly agree that his experiences could easily repeat in another city. There are people who come across as phony everywhere, and women with unrealistic expectations is hardly confined to Chicago or the Midwest. In fact, I had always had the idea that Southern California had more phoniness per capita than Chicago, but I am not ready to make a rash judgment on the place.

My advice to the OP...

1. Yes, by all means, get a change in scenery. If you are at the point where you need a fresh start- go to a different place for it. However, be smart about it (have a job, etc.)
2. I would seriously consider what avenues you use in order to meet women. It is possible that the places you are going to find single women are conducive to phonies/ unrealistic expectations. Maybe you need to find a different manner in which to find dates.
3. No matter how many times you have felt slighted by the dating scene, you seriously need to go into your next date/ attempt with a better attitude if you want to have a decent chance at success. I know what it is like to go be jaded... and while turning it into a joke with just enough of a hint of seriousness to create sympathy may get you some one-nighters, the likelihood of starting a relationship is low if you have this on your mind the entire time. No woman wants to go on a date with someone consumed with his past failures. She actually doesn't deserve it- she had nothing to do with what happened to you. Believe me, it took me FOREVER to realize this. I know it is hard, but no matter where you re-start, and who you try to date next, you'll be better off if you can find a way to let go of some of these negative experiences.

From the sound of your rant, it seems like a smaller city/town might be more your style, but I have no idea what you want out of life, only that you had a few horrible dating experiences.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:50 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
lol, I love people who post stuff like this. I wonder if any of them every get to the point where they suddenly look in the mirror and realize THEY'RE the problem - not whatever place they happen to be living.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:39 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
"Wearing masks"? What the heck are you smoking, boy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: