Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 05:47 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times

Advertisements

I'd say bring the car. The hassles of having a car in that area are a lot less than right along the lake, and they wouldn't outweigh not having a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 06:51 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,992 times
I'd look into the cost of car-sharing with a service like Zipcars or iGo (you can get an iGo membership at a steep discount today on Groupon). If you pick an apartment that is close enough to public transport and car-sharing locations then you would definitely be able to do without the car. We lived in the Loop during winter with our toddler and managed fine on buses and trains.

But since you do have a child in preschool I'd urge you to start doing your homework on Chicago public schools, and even private schools if that is your preference. If you are choosing locations now you should pick one that will have the school you want down the line.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:55 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
I thought the thread was about being careless with kids, that I'm an expert on. It was good for the little bastards.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:33 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,025 times
Lugging around two kids that age ,on the bus, on a regular basis, is not something I recommend if it can be avoided.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:49 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,849,767 times
Keep the car.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:31 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
It will be far more convenient having a car than without especially with kids. You can still use public transportation.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:03 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
Keep the car. If you need to do an emergency visit to the pediatrician or a middle of the night visit to the Urgent Care facility or to the drugstore, you will be thankful! I second the idea of going out with TWO youngsters on a bitterly cold day because you just ran out of something you needed for dinner that you could have sworn was purchased during your regular run to the store.
You will also have access to visit places like Brookfield Zoo, or the Kohl's Children Museum or some of the other fun stuff to do in the suburbs.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:28 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy Stew View Post
Hi all!

My husband and I will be moving to Chicago in June along with our 3 and 1 year old daughters. We plan on living in Roscoe Village near my husband's work and daughter's preschool (both on Diversey Ave), and we would love to leave our car behind if possible. I see from reading other threads that many people find living in that part of Chicago to be entirely workable without a car (and, in fact, hassle-laden with a car!),
A few thoughts.

Can you stand waiting on a bus for 15 minutes when the temperature is below 0 as is common in January and February?

Can you walk through the snow to the market as homeowners don't shovel the sidewalks for a day or two after the storm?

Are comfortable taking a sick child on the bus to health care?

I am not saying that it can't be done BUT it is a quality of life issue.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:16 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,992 times
What will you do with the car if you don't bring it? If you can leave it with family with the option to get it if you need it then why not give it a go. If you have to sell it then you might as well bring it and see, you can sell it here just as easily.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:35 AM

4 posts, read 6,565 times
Car it is then! Good points about sick kids, bday parties, freezing cold temps. I still am looking forward to living a lifestyle that doesn't revolve around my car, but it does seem that there are some peace-of-mind issues that would be better satisfied by bringing it along, even if it sits unused most of the time.

Thank you guys so much for your help. We are so looking forward to our move out there; we got to visit a few weeks ago and were so impressed by the city and especially by the general friendliness of its inhabitants (we're currently living outside of Boston--huge contrast!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago