Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 09:55 AM

483 posts, read 1,221,427 times

Advertisements

I'd live there. But not with kids, and I wouldn't buy a house there. So if I was you, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 07:29 AM

4 posts, read 8,659 times
@MM - no, I don't live in Chicago right now so it is not easy for me to check it out myself.
@Alacran - thank you for your honest input.
It was unfortunate that I got no school input as well as coming to the realization that there are people on this site that would rather try to flex their muscles and fluff their feathers instead of providing requested information.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:00 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
^I think you need to learn a lot more about Chicago before even getting close to purchasing a property. The fact that you're even asking about the school situation in that area shows how little you know about Chicago, and that's concerning to me. Take your time, make plenty of visits and consider renting for the first year.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:56 AM

3,500 posts, read 3,132,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^I think you need to learn a lot more about Chicago before even getting close to purchasing a property. The fact that you're even asking about the school situation in that area shows how little you know about Chicago, and that's concerning to me. Take your time, make plenty of visits and consider renting for the first year.
OP - this is very good advice. Had I rented instead of buying before living in the neighborhood I am in, I would have definitely made some different choices. As it is, I feel "stuck" here sometimes because I would lose money selling my house, and the neighborhood you're inquiring about is pretty sketchy and may not improve soon.
The reason no one gives advice about schools there because the verdict is unanimous: You shouldn't move there if you have kids. That's not flexing muscles or being unhelpful, that's honest to goodness the best advice you'll get this year guaranteed. Unhelpful would be people saying yeah move there, no problem.
Now, I know people in the area with kids, but they are all going to private or magnet schools, so if you are still considering the area, assume that to get your kids a decent education you'll have to get them into one of these college prep places or pay out the nose for tuition. That said, if you have the bucks to buy at Fullerton and Pulaski, you can get more for your money in other neighborhoods (Avondale or Logan Square)
Please give the advice here serious consideration, no one is pulling your leg. Some things can be overstated here, but for the most part, people are really trying to help to keep you from making decisions you'll regret later.
I wish I'd done my homework before I bought my house, believe me.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:02 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housebuyers View Post
It was unfortunate that I got no school input as well as coming to the realization that there are people on this site that would rather try to flex their muscles and fluff their feathers instead of providing requested information.
First of all, you did not provide the name of the school. What do you expect us to look up the neighborhood schools for that area on the CPS website for you?

You did not even provide a rough address that you would be moving into.

You could be on one side of the street and be in one school's boundaries, or be on the other and be in another's boundaries.

When you are getting information for free, it is best not to be so demanding.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
You're welcome.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:53 AM

449 posts, read 1,175,536 times
Fullerton & Pulaski isn't the worst from what I know, but it's still infested with west side gangs.

You want to stay FAR away from 16th & Pulaski though. That's Vice Lord city

Further north on Pulaski is a lot nicer and so is further east on Fullerton

Old 03-22-2011, 12:57 AM

483 posts, read 1,221,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_II_DMV View Post
Fullerton & Pulaski isn't the worst from what I know, but it's still infested with west side gangs.

You want to stay FAR away from 16th & Pulaski though. That's Vice Lord city

Further north on Pulaski is a lot nicer and so is further east on Fullerton
Granted they both aren't the best areas, the 1600 block of South Pulaski is a world away from Fullerton (2400N) and Pulaski...

Old 03-22-2011, 12:18 PM

537 posts, read 1,034,364 times
Quote:
Looking at a house near the Fullerton Polaski intersection any input on elementary schools and safety would be appreciated.

School Info
Here is the list of all CPS elementary schools
Illinois Interactive Report Card

At a quick glance it's clear there are only a handful of K-8 schools I'd consider sending my daughter to.

Here is a boundary map
" + theTitle + "

Fullerton and Pulaski is Mozart or Nixon if you're actually looking a block west.

Mozart

Nixon

Both schools are equally bad. I would never send my kids there.

Area Info
The area is gang infested, if you're a MLD or IG member you might enjoy it.

Crime report for that intersection
2330-2399 N. Pulaski Rd. crimes | EveryBlock Chicago

Bottom line I wouldn't live there nor send my kids to the local schools. If you want to live on Pulaski go north to Addison/Irving Park if you want to live on Fullerton go east to Western.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:56 PM

449 posts, read 1,175,536 times
The MLDs won't harm him, now those Imperials might be trouble

j/k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago