U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 12:54 AM

434 posts, read 615,762 times

Advertisements

With both of those work locations where they are, it's going to be hard to find a place in the city that will make a decent commute for the both of you.

How old are you/what are your interests? If you're into the whole nightlife thing, and you must live in the city, the best option I can think of would be to find a place by O'Hare. Maybe Oriole Park, granted it's not a "hip" neighborhood, it is in the city. I would say look for places on River Rd, Cumberland, Harlem, by the Kennedy/Blue Line.

This way, your roomie can take 294 > Eisenhower > 355; or the Kennedy/Jane Addams to 290 by Woodfield, to 355 to get to Lombard. You can then jump on 294 to Lake Cook, or Jane Addams out to northbound 53 to Buffalo Grove; and when you need to get into the city, it will be an easy ride on the Blue Line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 07:55 AM

2,060 posts, read 3,106,211 times
If both offices are only reachable by car then I don't understand how you think you're going to live in the city and get to work without going on the Kennedy? Did I misunderstand what you said about one office being far from the Metra and the other one only being reachable by car, and yet you don't want to drive to work or live in the suburbs?

Old 03-25-2011, 08:11 AM

56 posts, read 79,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
If both offices are only reachable by car then I don't understand how you think you're going to live in the city and get to work without going on the Kennedy? Did I misunderstand what you said about one office being far from the Metra and the other one only being reachable by car, and yet you don't want to drive to work or live in the suburbs?
I apologize, I should have said that I'd prefer not to be on Kennedy before it splits into two.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:18 AM

56 posts, read 79,496 times
I'm probably being unrealistic with commute.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:20 AM

5,265 posts, read 8,306,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Honestly, I would find a new roomie ASAP unless you both want to be miserable. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you!
Either that or a new job (in the Loop).

Old 03-25-2011, 08:56 AM

537 posts, read 539,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
With both of those work locations where they are, it's going to be hard to find a place in the city that will make a decent commute for the both of you.

How old are you/what are your interests? If you're into the whole nightlife thing, and you must live in the city, the best option I can think of would be to find a place by O'Hare. Maybe Oriole Park, granted it's not a "hip" neighborhood, it is in the city. I would say look for places on River Rd, Cumberland, Harlem, by the Kennedy/Blue Line.

This way, your roomie can take 294 > Eisenhower > 355; or the Kennedy/Jane Addams to 290 by Woodfield, to 355 to get to Lombard. You can then jump on 294 to Lake Cook, or Jane Addams out to northbound 53 to Buffalo Grove; and when you need to get into the city, it will be an easy ride on the Blue Line.
I was going to suggest the far NW side, but Edison Park. It's the hippest area on the NW side with a few good bars and restaurants. Plus the OP could if they wanted drive to Buffalo Grove all expressway free.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:56 AM

5,463 posts, read 6,414,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odina_123 View Post
I'm probably being unrealistic with commute.
I see 3 choices:
1) Live in the suburbs. I agree that the city is much more interesting for 20-something nightlife than the suburbs BUT, depending on where you currently live, you might be able to improve upon that situation a little by finding a better suburban location. Downtown Arlington Heights has bars, restaurants, movie theaters, live theater, stores, library and Metra station all within walking distance. Other towns along the Metra NW line have revived downtowns as well. Being close to Metra, you can take the train into the city and connect to the hot-spots in the city via CTA or cab.
2) Live on the NW side as one poster mentioned, preferably within walking distance of the blue line. You are both about 45 minutes from work and you avoid the part of the Kennedy before the split that you dislike so much. The key is to be close enough to Blue Line that you can leave the car at home when bar/club hopping.
3) Live "deeper" in the city where you are in one of your favorite areas for going out. Again you leave the car home, but are now in walking or short cab ride distance. Problem here is there may be no way to avoid the Kennedy south of the Edens split and both of you may have commutes of up to 90 minutes each way.

I suggest you really analyze what you do and where you go during the week and during the weekend. Keep in mind that after a couple of months of commuting from Wrigleyville to the suburbs your energy for going out during the week may wane a bit. I understand the limitations of the suburbs and the dilema you have. Good luck.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:00 AM

816 posts, read 1,265,895 times
I'd go with Schamburg... 355 is not that bad for commuting and there are a few things to do. That or downtown Arlington Heights. In the city, the NW side neighborhoods won't give you exciting nightlife

Old 03-25-2011, 05:51 PM

4,094 posts, read 1,292,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
I was going to suggest the far NW side, but Edison Park. It's the hippest area on the NW side with a few good bars and restaurants. Plus the OP could if they wanted drive to Buffalo Grove all expressway free.
Yeah. They could do Norwood Park too.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:01 PM

2,060 posts, read 3,106,211 times
Oak Park may be an option, you could go 290/294 up to Buffalo Grove but I'm not sure it's any less stressful than the Kennedy would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago