Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 08:51 PM

483 posts, read 1,221,783 times

Advertisements

Meh. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. If he fails in the process, so be it. But with the state of some towns in Wisconsin right now, I can see where he is coming from. If you're coming from a depressed rust-belt "one factory" town in Nowhere, Wisconsin, where the factory has been shut down, and there are no jobs or opportunities, Chicago probably looks really good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 09:01 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,992 times
I'm not sure what jobs Chicago has that Milwaukee doesn't, but I'm guessing the OP has a job lined up, just no place to sleep. If your job is actually in Chicago or you intend to be there every day you might find Lake Forest to be a bit far. With gas as high as it is that's a lot of mileage to cover.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:09 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,973 times
Well first off, this toll conversation is pretty funny because if a person can't afford a two dollar toll, how are they going to afford monthly rent in Chicago along with all the bills and expenses that come with living on your own?

OP- I think the smart thing to do would be stay where you, save up your money and then once you have a few months' rent accumulated, then move to Chicago. Your plan seems like it's full of holes and Extended Stay hotels can get very expensive. If you don't stay at least a month, the hotel taxes alone won't make your stay economically worth it.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:54 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
I'm not sure what jobs Chicago has that Milwaukee doesn't, but I'm guessing the OP has a job lined up, just no place to sleep.
Dude don't have a job lined up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe8787 View Post
I am going to be moving to the chicago land area to look for work and also to just get a taste of the big city life. I will be coming alone and need to find a cheap extended stay motel no more than 25-30 miles from the city. The closer the better though. I dont need anything super nice. Just a clean bed and a lil fridge and microwave. I would like to find something under 175-200 a week. I dont wanna stay in a real rough area though. I am looking to stay 2-4 weeks and then depending upon if I find work, stay in the area or just leave and come back to Northern WI.

Also, how is the job market? I am a good landscaper and have experiance in construction. I do not have any kind of degree so I am looking for just general labor.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate any and all info or tips. Thanks again
--Joe

Old 03-26-2011, 12:57 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
Perfect. Sleep at the Lake Forest Oasis. The first toll at Waukegan is $1.50, and the 2nd toll at the Edens Spur is $1.00. Although if you are really short on cash, I believe you get 2 free tolls every 3 years without becoming a "toll violator". You can pay later online, if you don't have the cash on you for the tolls at the time. Granted it's only a total of $2.50... well, I've been there.
You assume he's coming down 94 and not 90. If it's the latter, tolls can be easily avoided coming down 94 by simply taking 41 to the Edens. It adds a total of 10 to maybe 25 minutes to the trip, depending on time of day. Tolls on 90 aren't as conveniently avoided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Why are you moving to Chicago if you don't have the means to support yourself in Chicago? Or even a place to stay at all?

Stay in Wisconsin. Real life isn't a movie.
Doesn't sound like he's got much to lose anyway. So he might as well roll the dice, y'know?

Old 03-26-2011, 02:20 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
Sleep during the day. Go to a fast food restaurant in a really safe neighborhood and park somewhere inconspicuous. Buy at least a drink and prop yourself up in your seat with drink in hand so it looks like you are awake. Put on sun glasses so nobody can see your eyes. Slightly prop your head back on the headrest and pretend you are sipping your drink. If someone comes you can claim you fell asleep by accident.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:46 PM

483 posts, read 1,221,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
I'm not sure what jobs Chicago has that Milwaukee doesn't, but I'm guessing the OP has a job lined up, just no place to sleep. If your job is actually in Chicago or you intend to be there every day you might find Lake Forest to be a bit far. With gas as high as it is that's a lot of mileage to cover.
True about Lake Forest being a bit far, I had forgotten he was going to be staying in the city and based my reply on him needing a place to sleep on his journey to Chicago.

As far as the Chicago vs. Milwaukee comment, Chicago has a lot to offer that Milwaukee doesn't. Many, many more white collar jobs than Milwaukee, as well as generally better salaries, and more opportunities to improve yourself. I was partially raised in Milwaukee, and after coming from Chicago, I always considered it to be a backwards hick town.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:01 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,179 times
Isn't it still too cold to sleep in your car? What's the OP's situation in WI now?

Old 03-26-2011, 06:33 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Isn't it still too cold to sleep in your car?
Yes Jesse.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:38 PM

3,502 posts, read 3,134,181 times
OP, don't you have any friends in Chicago that will let you crash on their couch or something? Sleeping in your car is less than optimal, and not really safe unless you are in an enclosed/secure area (ie a garage)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: