U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 06:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,501 times
Default Working at Univ. of Chicago, but where to live?

I will be moving to Chicago to work at University of Chicago and am looking for advice about what neighborhoods to live in. Some of the neighborhoods north of Chicago like Lincoln Square and Roscoe Village are appealing to me, but I'm concerned that my commute would be too long. I would like to keep my commute under 40 minutes, ideally under 30 minutes (either public transportation or driving). I've also heard that the Hyde Park neighborhood is a little isolated, so not sure I want to live and work in the same area.

I like quieter neighborhoods that have more of a residential feel, but also have local restaurants, coffee shops, stores, etc. within easy walking distance. I'm in my late 20s, so also a neighborhood that has young professionals, but not a majority of just out of college kids. Also want to live in a relatively safe neighborhood. Close proximity to bike trails would be an added bonus.

I would really appreciate any advice about neighborhoods to look into, as I am not very familiar with Chicago yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 06:54 PM

21,478 posts, read 35,501,299 times
The desire for a quieter neighborhood with an emphasis on local restaurants and shops describes Hyde Park perfectly.

It very likely would take much longer to get to UofC from Lincoln Square or Roscoe Village.

With recent downturns in hiring even Lakeview and hipster areas like Bucktown or Wicker Park are not as teaming with fresh college grads -- they would be closer to Hyde Park than Lincoln Square or Roscoe Village.

The option of living nearer to Pilsen is cheaper and "muy authentico" for those with Spanish fluency, but you'll not have too many folks that are readily identifiable as a "young professional" even thoughnthey might be...

I would not worry about living and working in the same neighborhood as the population / amenities of Hyde Park and Kenwood is pretty unique -- UofC has a very small number of undergrads, who tend to be very bright and studious, the Medical Center attracts health professionals from throughout the region, the various University affliated institutions are similarly highlynrespected but much smaller in terms employment and "bustle".

Old 03-25-2011, 07:49 PM

4,094 posts, read 1,153,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
they would be closer to Hyde Park than Lincoln Square or Roscoe Village.
Umm no.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krc28 View Post
I've also heard that the Hyde Park neighborhood is a little isolated
It is not a little isolated, it is VERY isolated.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:24 PM

9,258 posts, read 11,473,706 times
Hyde Park has excellent access to the lakefront bike trail. And you can go swimming off the rocks at 55th St. I cycle down to Hyde Park most days once it's warm.

I'd live there myself if it had the El and wasn't a little isolated. Though with a car you can jump on the Drive and be downtown in 10 minutes. And there's a Metra train stop in Hyde Park.

South Loop-Near South Side might be up your alley. Doesn't take long to get to Hyde Park (Metra stops at Roosevelt Rd. and 18th St. or take a car down the Drive in under 10 minutes) and has excellent lake path access and is close to downtown. Has some nightspots, coffee shops, taverns and restaurants and good day to day shopping---Jewel, Dominck's, Whole Foods and all that stuff. The neighborhood has enough to keep one busy (unless one is looking for a frantic "youth ghetto" lifestyle) yet has a quieter, more laid back feel than farther north. Many, perhaps most of the residents are white collar workers and many are late 20s-early 30s, quite conventional.

Lots of condos for rent in the neighborhood.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:13 PM

3,590 posts, read 6,470,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
It is not a little isolated, it is VERY isolated.
Actually, isolation is in the eye of the beholder. I live in Hyde Park and there's not an area around it which I do not frequent. Hyde Park has restaurants, theater and exercise facilities. With amenities on the south side (car repair, Target, Home Depot, Elmo's Tombstone service), why go north at all? There's nowhere to park up there.

It actually is great for UofC employees. Free transportation to work and discounts in area shops? What's not to like?

Old 03-26-2011, 01:42 PM

346 posts, read 426,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Actually, isolation is in the eye of the beholder. I live in Hyde Park and there's not an area around it which I do not frequent. Hyde Park has restaurants, theater and exercise facilities. With amenities on the south side (car repair, Target, Home Depot, Elmo's Tombstone service), why go north at all? There's nowhere to park up there.

It actually is great for UofC employees. Free transportation to work and discounts in area shops? What's not to like?
How often do you visit Washington Park or Woodlawn?

Old 03-26-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk1983 View Post
Good question.

I would say the only time most Hyde Park and Kenwood people go to those areas is when they are traveling through them in their cars.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:56 PM

3,590 posts, read 6,470,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk1983 View Post
About twice a week, depending on what I'm involved in. I happen to have friends in Washington Park and Woodlawn so my forays there are not infrequent. Drive-up KFC is in Washington Park. The South Side Y is in Woodlawn. There's all sorts of car repair on Stoney Island, including U-Haul, where I was last week. The McDonald's at 55th and Wabash is open at 5 am -- convenient for early getaways. I used to go to the Chase bank at 67th and Stoney, but they opened up an office in Hyde Park. There's Latin Mass at 64th and Woodlawn but I had enough of that as a kid.

Elmo's Tombstone Service is at 61st and State. "Tombstones Carved While U Wait. Before You Go, Call Elmo."

Last edited by Manigault; 03-26-2011 at 03:10 PM..

Old 03-26-2011, 10:07 PM

1,967 posts, read 3,717,914 times
The transformation to the areas north of hyde park, from north kenwood/oakland up through the south loop, has made it far less isolated that it was in the 80s. West and south are poor neighborhoods (I actually live part time in woodlawn and used to live there year round -- there is an ok part east of cottage and a horrible part west), but these days it feels a lot more connected to the core of the city than it ever has. I also lament having to go west of washington park to get the L, but the metra is so convenient and the drive to the southern edge of downtown, as tom points out, is about 10 minutes. I do most of my shopping in the south loop or the clybourn corridor of lincoln park. Lots of great local things to do in the neighborhood. The streets are too quiet at night for my tastes and businesses close way too early, but in a lot of ways it is a very interesting neighborhood with a lot going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago