Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 06:06 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times

Advertisements

Mine is, "Wow, I had no idea the lake was that big!" It astonishes me how many people expect to look across the lake and see the Michigan shoreline on the other side. I'm like, "uhm... it takes a cargo ship about 4 hours to cross that lake... and that's just going across the narrow part..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 08:24 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Mine is, "Wow, I had no idea the lake was that big!" It astonishes me how many people expect to look across the lake and see the Michigan shoreline on the other side. I'm like, "uhm... it takes a cargo ship about 4 hours to cross that lake... and that's just going across the narrow part..."
I know, Ive heard that one a few times. lol Seriously, what were they expecting? A fishing pond? I wonder how long it takes a cargo ship to travel the entire N-S distance? Id venture a good 12-15 hours.

Other tourist comments that crack me up are: "sooo, is there any good places to eat around here?"

Old 07-27-2007, 08:54 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,381 times
The lake comment is my favorite too. I knew a guy from LA (who wasn't too bright) who visited Chicago for the first time and I remember him saying "wow, that lake is so big and the buildings look like they were built 100 years ago", it made me laugh.

What was priceless was the look on his face during the first winter he spent here when we took him to the Indiana Dunes and he saw the frozen lake complete with frozen waves. At that point I think he was trying to figure out how quickly he could get out of town. I recall him muttering "it looks like the moon".

Old 07-27-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
The lake comment is my favorite too. I knew a guy from LA (who wasn't too bright) who visited Chicago for the first time and I remember him saying "wow, that lake is so big and the buildings look like they were built 100 years ago", it made me laugh.

What was priceless was the look on his face during the first winter he spent here when we took him to the Indiana Dunes and he saw the frozen lake complete with frozen waves. At that point I think he was trying to figure out how quickly he could get out of town. I recall him muttering "it looks like the moon".
LOL West wussies.

Last edited by linicx; 10-28-2009 at 11:11 AM..

Old 07-27-2007, 09:42 AM

117 posts, read 507,266 times
I had a friend visit me a few years ago. She is a native Californian who had never been to any city in the Midwest. I took her downtown on Mag Mile.To my surprise, she exclaimed,"Wow, you guys have a REAL downtown!" GIven that she had spent most of her life living in or around LA, I kind of overlooked her comment. But many people who come to visit are blown away by downtown.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:04 PM

431 posts, read 2,125,429 times
Well i'm a tourist and yeah, I was pretty blown away by downtown. I don't understand why Chicago is not higher up on the radar of great american cities. We hear about Miami, LA, Philly, Houston, Dallas, but Chicago beats them all. Is it because people just assume nothing's going on in the Midwest? I guess it's a good thing, IMO. Believe me, after the real estate boom in the last few years, certain parts of the country are a mess right now from too much migration, crowded roads, crowded schools and then finally, too many foreclosures. As for cost of living, you definitely can't beat it for a major city even on a worldwide level. I'm hoping things stay quiet in Chicago for a few more years in case i decide to go there, I won't get priced out.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
Well i'm a tourist and yeah, I was pretty blown away by downtown. I don't understand why Chicago is not higher up on the radar of great american cities. We hear about Miami, LA, Philly, Houston, Dallas, but Chicago beats them all. Is it because people just assume nothing's going on in the Midwest? I guess it's a good thing, IMO. Believe me, after the real estate boom in the last few years, certain parts of the country are a mess right now from too much migration, crowded roads, crowded schools and then finally, too many foreclosures. As for cost of living, you definitely can't beat it for a major city even on a worldwide level. I'm hoping things stay quiet in Chicago for a few more years in case i decide to go there, I won't get priced out.

Thank you for your positive comments. I think you hit the nail on the head about people's perceptions of the Midwest. Chicago has a wide assortment of leisure and cultural opportunities that rivals some of the larger cities on the coast.Like yourself, my friend(who has relocated to Washington state) could see herself living here someday. I think that the cost of living will still remain reasonable for the next couple of years.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:34 PM

IMO Chicago is the most popular city in the USA besides LA and NYC. Ive never met anyone who thinks otherwise. Most people come here knowing what to expect, Ive never met nor heard of anyone who didnt think Chicago had a world class downtown. Its hard to not know that based on all the movies and commercials that are shot in Chicago.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:40 PM

Yes. There is a great amount of information that one could gather about Chicago through films, the media , the internet and etc.However, there will always be SOME individuals who ,for whatever reason, are not as knowledgeable about the city as others. Additionally, seeing Chicago in a film pales in comparison to ACTUALLY visiting the city's center core. No amount of pictures can ever make up for being able to experience the sheer energy that one feels as they walk along Michigan Ave.

There are many cities that have a downtown. But office buildings,restaurants and department stores are only one part.The energy that the people bring is the other. Just my humble opinion.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:57 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I know, Ive heard that one a few times. lol Seriously, what were they expecting? A fishing pond? I wonder how long it takes a cargo ship to travel the entire N-S distance? Id venture a good 12-15 hours.
A little over a day from Gary to the northern tip of Door County, if I correctly recall a recent Tribune story about life aboard a Great Lakes cargo ship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago