Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 09:19 PM

312 posts, read 712,799 times

Advertisements

What was the premise of the thread, anyway? Whites conspired to move into Cook County and that somehow magically transpired into them nudging census categories or forcing non-whites out?

Old 04-01-2011, 09:57 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Yeah, I really don't understand why this thread wasn't shut down just based on the entire premise being mathematically false. Majority is > 50%. No one group in Chicago is > 50%.

Even if you tried to split the Hispanic category into physical races I don't think you'd end up with 50% of any group, because a lot of Hispanics are either mulatto or mestizo (or both) and are unlikely to self-identify as white if given anything close to a real selection of options.
According to census numbers, Chicago is 45% white if you count the supposedly ''white Hispanics''. I put that in quotation because I seriously thought that half of Hispanic Chicagoans actually view themselves as white. But even when including them, 45% is not a majority number.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:24 PM

113 posts, read 195,514 times
How many people here agree with me that we don't need to see people by their skin color or ethnicity? Just want my fellow Chicago people to know that I like ya no matter what your color and no matter where you're from!

Old 04-02-2011, 01:56 AM

661 posts, read 1,247,630 times
oops I must have meant to say another word, but not "majority". I guess I should have said whites now outnumber blacks by a few percent. It was the other way around last time I checked city data stats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
I guess I need to post this again...

Majority - a number or percentage equaling more than half of a total

Why people don't understand the meaning of the word majority? It's very simple math, if Chicago had 100 people, with 50 being black, 25 white and 25 hispanic that is NOT a black majority.

Good thing the City Council knows the meaning or else we wouldn't have the excitement of the 14 run off races.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:23 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
oops I must have meant to say another word, but not "majority". I guess I should have said whites now outnumber blacks by a few percent. It was the other way around last time I checked city data stats.
and this is important enough to create a useless thread because..........?

thread FAIL

Old 04-02-2011, 12:03 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,868,329 times
I know few hispanics who identify themselves as whites.

I think instead of "majority" it would possibly be correct to say that hispanics or whites are the largest ethnicity in Chicago.

The debate over what is hispanic vs white is never ending.

Mitt Romney was born in Mexico City I believe and he is not considered hispanic.

Former Mexican President Vincente Fox comes from Irish and Spanish descent.

By my definition, you need indian (native) blood to be considered hispanic. Most mexicans fit this description as do people from central america.

My girlfriend is probably 60-75 percent indian and the rest white. I would say your average hispanic from mexico is 25-40 percent indian but no one really knows for sure unless we all get our blood lines tested (I would love to have mine done and am sure I would find some surprises).

Old 04-02-2011, 12:35 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I know few hispanics who identify themselves as whites.

I think instead of "majority" it would possibly be correct to say that hispanics or whites are the largest ethnicity in Chicago.
No, it's not. No ethnicity is in the majority (over 50%) and there are still more blacks than any other ethnicity in Chicago.

Click the post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

Old 04-02-2011, 12:41 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Former Mexican President Vincente Fox comes from Irish and Spanish descent.
The last Spanish governor of Mexico was O'Donoju. The Spanish engineer who designed the fortifications of San Juan was O'Daley and the general he was working for was O'Reily.

During the Mexican-American War there was an Irish unit in the Mexican army called the San Patricios. Many were deserters from the American army (the American Regular Army at the time had many Irish rankers, many of whom were already veterans of the British army) and about 50 were hanged by the Americans after their capture at the battle of Churubusco when the San Patricios formed a "forlorn hope" rear guard that enabled the Mexican army to skedaddle. Those not hanged were branded and flogged.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:08 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Actually, on second thoght Chicago60514 may have been wrong. What was he quoting? According to the stats on the Chicago City-Data page, whites do outnumber the blacks now.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:52 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,868,329 times
Thanks Urza.

No one is the majority, but whites and hispanics do now outnumber blacks.

I still believe there are more hispanics than whites in Chicago.

My kids will be considered hispanic though my bloodlines going back 400 years are northern and western european.

Also, for those of you armchair social majors, many hispanics simply consider themselves puerto rican or mexican.

Try asking a mexican if they are from el salvador or hondurus and see how that goes.

Mexicans are very proud of their nationality and their parents nationality (if they were born in US). Most people honestly cannot differentiate between ethnicity and nationality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago