Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 12:55 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times

Advertisements

Live in Tinley
Born in Los Angeles
I was in the USN which brought me to CA - San Diego, LA and Bellingham Wa , Tarpon Springs FLA. I also went to school in Pennsylvania.

My father was also in the USN so I have lived many places in this country and a few over seas.

If I could live anyplace it would be Chicago, IL - My wife works in the loop and she commutes from Tinley every day. Just pains me to see her drag her butt out of the house so early.

Commute is awful.

Have a strong passion for geography, business interests and the weather and US history along with Chicago History and the companies. Love the fall time.

Spent most of my adult life after the Navy at a Chicago based firm.
I love driving around the metro area and discovering spots that are interesting to me and sometimes to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 12:58 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,520,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
All sound reasons, and I applaud you doing something about it! A lot of people would just whine how much it sucks and wallow in it.
Anyways, you'll probably love it in Chicago, esp the Wicker Park/Bucktown area. I have met so many musicians and artists since being here, it's been great to be involved in that community so much moreso than when I lived in Phoenix. Good luck with the move and let us know when you get here so we can innundate you with more of our sage advice.
Thanks!! I've been to Chicago countless times and love it. I feel right at home, especially in that area (Wicker Park, etc.). I guess everyone has a city fit for them. And I'll probably be bugging the Chicago forum a lot during my move with lots of annoying questions, so no worries!

Old 03-31-2011, 01:03 PM

378 posts, read 576,793 times
I live in Hoyvík, about to move to Tórshavn, both on the Faroe Islands.

I grew up in Woodridge.

I would move back to Chicago in a heart beat.

I found this forum through [domain blocked due to spam]; they didn't say anything nice, but they aren't nice in general.

I am about to learn two to three new Scandinavian languages on top of the one I already am fluent in and am thinking about becoming a Foreign Service Officer.

Male, three kids, recently single.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:20 PM

483 posts, read 1,221,915 times
1. I'm back and forth a lot between school, my parents' place, my girlfriend/"step"daughter's place, and spend a lot of time on the go. I will complete school hopefully this summer, and should be moving within the next 9 months. Depending on whether or not my girlfriend and daughter come with, and what my work/financial situation is like, and if I decide to pursue some certifications at another school, I'm looking at Uptown, Pilsen, Edgewater, Irving Park, and Humboldt Park. As of right now I have a lot of variables, so it's a little early to plant my feet somewhere. Within a half a year, I will have a plan set in stone.

2. From birth until early teenage years, lived in Portage Park. Moved to Wisconsin with the parents after that, lived in several different places there- Milwaukee and suburbs. Have since came back to Chicago, as well as a little bit of time spent in the 'burbs.

3. Like I said in #1, I'm beginning the search for places in those neighborhoods. If I had the money, the resources, and a job out there, I'd like to live in Parkchester or Pelham Parkway in the Bronx, Jackson Heights or Flushing, Queens, Stapleton, Staten Island or southern Brooklyn. However, I will be in Chicago for at least another five years.

4. I've been lurking since probably about 2005, just reading up on random places across the country, as it's a huge interest of mine. I love learning about demographics, economies, topography, and pretty much everything about a certain place. I also love getting in the car and just driving, if my schedule allows it. I found the forum from the main webpage, after looking up information on random cities and towns across the country.

5. I like cars, and computers. I spend my free time with my girlfriend/daughter, fixing other people's cars (since my name has been passed around from person to person as someone who will fix your vehicle for a good price, I hardly have time to work on my car anymore), and the last bit of my time is spent playing with computers and networks, or on the Internet. I specialize in networking, and I'm a part-time network administrator of a friend's family business in Wisconsin. Just recently I completely revitalized their network and computer system, since everything they had was pretty outdated. They've been very pleased with the outcome as they are able to do their accounting, orders, and everything else much faster, resulting in them being able to do more business. Since they don't have a need for a full time IT person, I'm there when they call, which has been often lately since I've been completing the upgrade.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:26 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedskjaer View Post
I live in Hoyvík, about to move to Tórshavn, both on the Faroe Islands.
What initially brought you to the Faroe Islands, if ya don't mind me asking?

Old 03-31-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
I've been lurking since probably about 2005, just reading up on random places across the country, as it's a huge interest of mine.
It's true; you're one of the few people with an earlier join date than me (and Drover)!

Old 03-31-2011, 01:30 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
On Summerdale near Glenwood. Where's your new apartment?
Ravenswood & Balmoral. You've got a good location there. That's excellent distance to the whole Clark St. strip.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
What initially brought you to the Faroe Islands, if ya don't mind me asking?
I actually lived in Denmark before the Islands.

I fell in love with a Faroese woman and darn my American upbringing, after the first child, I stayed with her because we had a child, then another and now a third. Well, it has been a nightmare for me, but I finally feel free to talk about it.

I moved to Denmark because I have dual citizenship and decided to take advantage of the free health care and university.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedskjaer View Post
I moved to Denmark because I have dual citizenship and decided to take advantage of the free health care and university.
Dude, good call on the free school. Very sorry to hear about your ex troubles -- she sounds like a real peach. Best of luck to you now that you appear to have deshackled yourself.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Dude, good call on the free school. Very sorry to hear about your ex troubles -- she sounds like a real peach. Best of luck to you now that you appear to have deshackled yourself.
Not quite. Three kids and a legal fight can tie a person up.
On the up side, I could attend UW Madison and get an undergrad in Scandinavian Studies without actually learning anything new. They said it would only take a year.
It is amazing what one experiences and learns when one falls in love for the wrong woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago