U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 12:48 PM

2,174 posts, read 1,124,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Now I need to know what was the best decision you made while sh**-faced drunk!
I would say asking my wife out, but I think I was pretty lucid when I did that, so I would say the best decision I made while Sh**faced was quitting my soul crushing day job to be a late-blooming renaissance man.

Honestly, all of these drunk decisions still have to pass the smell test the next day, so not every brilliant scheme I hatch after a few pints sees daylight.

Last edited by quigboto; 03-31-2011 at 12:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 01:11 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,170,878 times
1. Neighborhood you live in- Not in Chicago until midsummer- probably Wicker Park or Bucktown. Right now I live in the Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh
2. Where you're originally from- Pittsburgh
3. Where you'd live if you could move anywhere else -- neighborhood, suburb or different metro entirely- Probably Lincoln Park, Chicago
4. How you found this forum- no idea
5. Something random- umm..I'm good at the bass guitar :/

22 year old male.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:16 PM

8,024 posts, read 5,878,571 times
1. Neighborhood you live in- Andersonville since 2000. Lived in Lincoln Park and Lakeview from 1995-2000
2. Where you're originally from- Chicago
3. Where you'd live if you could move anywhere else -- neighborhood, suburb or different metro entirely- If not Chicago, Piedmont in Italy, maybe the town of Barbaresco
4. How you found this forum- googling some info about Chicago
5. Something random - Wino and foodie

Married male with 3 kids

Old 03-31-2011, 01:18 PM

2,191 posts, read 3,404,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
1. Neighborhood you live in- Andersonville since 2000. Lived in Lincoln Park and Lakeview from 1995-2000
2. Where you're originally from- Chicago
3. Where you'd live if you could move anywhere else -- neighborhood, suburb or different metro entirely- If not Chicago, Piedmont in Italy, maybe the town of Barbaresco
4. How you found this forum- googling some info about Chicago
5. Something random - Wino and foodie

Married male with 3 kids
What part of Andersonville are you in? I just signed a lease in the neighborhood. Move in May 1st

Old 03-31-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
1. Neighborhood you live in- Not in Chicago until midsummer- probably Wicker Park or Bucktown. Right now I live in the Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh
2. Where you're originally from- Pittsburgh
3. Where you'd live if you could move anywhere else -- neighborhood, suburb or different metro entirely- Probably Lincoln Park, Chicago
4. How you found this forum- no idea
5. Something random- umm..I'm good at the bass guitar :/

22 year old male.
You know, Pittsburgh is on the short list of places we'd consider moving to if we ever wanted a change of scenery. We visit our friends in the Shadyside neighborhood a couple times a year and we think it's great.
If you don't mind me asking, are you leaving because you don't like Pittsburgh? Or just looking to shake things up?

Old 03-31-2011, 01:21 PM

12,062 posts, read 19,246,991 times
I actually think we made the decision to move to Chicago while toasted. I'm not sure though -- I was pretty drunk.

1 more question! How'd you come up with your handle? I have one of the least sensical ones ever, and I've often wished I could have chosen another. It's actually just something random my college assigned as our email address.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I actually think we made the decision to move to Chicago while toasted. I'm not sure though -- I was pretty drunk.

1 more question! How'd you come up with your handle? I have one of the least sensical ones ever, and I've often wished I could have chosen another. It's actually just something random my college assigned as our email address.
HAHA Let's just say (for public consumption) that it was the least unflattering nickname my friends gave me and it happened to stick around the time when everyone was coming up with internet handles (97-98 or so)

Last edited by quigboto; 03-31-2011 at 01:47 PM..

Old 03-31-2011, 01:37 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,170,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
You know, Pittsburgh is on the short list of places we'd consider moving to if we ever wanted a change of scenery. We visit our friends in the Shadyside neighborhood a couple times a year and we think it's great.
If you don't mind me asking, are you leaving because you don't like Pittsburgh? Or just looking to shake things up?
I lived in Shadyside during my first 2 years of college. It really is a nice town. I'm leaving for kind of both of the reasons you mentioned. Its not that I don't LIKE Pittsburgh per se. It's a cool city, its just not a city for everyone. Pittsburgh is a city that LOVES AND THRIVES on its sports teams (when they do well that is), which I don't care too much about. Pittsburgh has terrible terrible public transportation. I won't try and sugar coat it. The subway is useless and goes basically nowhere (your average Pittsburgher may not even know it exists), and buses are getting cut again, even from the poor state they were already in. The music scene has a lot to be desired. Summer festivals and events are OK, but nothing to rave about. Cost of living is pretty good. I guess you could say all in all I don't feel like I fit in here as much and I'm ready for a change. To me, Pittsburgh doesn't seem to give me enough options for my personality. If it wasn't for friends and family, I'd probably never come back and visit.

Nothing against Pittsburgh at all, and you may love it. Lots of people do. Shadyside is an outlier though (probably the trendiest are in town), so I'd explore more of the city to get a better feel for it before moving if you ever consider it. Hope that helped!

Old 03-31-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
I lived in Shadyside during my first 2 years of college. It really is a nice town. I'm leaving for kind of both of the reasons you mentioned. Its not that I don't LIKE Pittsburgh per se. It's a cool city, its just not a city for everyone. Pittsburgh is a city that LOVES AND THRIVES on its sports teams (when they do well that is), which I don't care too much about. Pittsburgh has terrible terrible public transportation. I won't try and sugar coat it. The subway is useless and goes basically nowhere (your average Pittsburgher may not even know it exists), and buses are getting cut again, even from the poor state they were already in. The music scene has a lot to be desired. Summer festivals and events are OK, but nothing to rave about. Cost of living is pretty good. I guess you could say all in all I don't feel like I fit in here as much and I'm ready for a change. To me, Pittsburgh doesn't seem to give me enough options for my personality. If it wasn't for friends and family, I'd probably never come back and visit.

Nothing against Pittsburgh at all, and you may love it. Lots of people do. Shadyside is an outlier though (probably the trendiest are in town), so I'd explore more of the city to get a better feel for it before moving if you ever consider it. Hope that helped!
All sound reasons, and I applaud you doing something about it! A lot of people would just whine how much it sucks and wallow in it.
Anyways, you'll probably love it in Chicago, esp the Wicker Park/Bucktown area. I have met so many musicians and artists since being here, it's been great to be involved in that community so much moreso than when I lived in Phoenix. Good luck with the move and let us know when you get here so we can innundate you with more of our sage advice.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:55 PM

8,024 posts, read 5,878,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
What part of Andersonville are you in? I just signed a lease in the neighborhood. Move in May 1st
On Summerdale near Glenwood. Where's your new apartment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago