Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:07 PM

8 posts, read 13,140 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are relocating to Chicago for my job in mid-June. I will be working for a software startup company in the West Loop (on Racine, near the Racine blue line).

We are looking for advice on a safe neighborhood to live in that will keep us close to this area, but still fit in our price range (2 bedrooms, up to 1200/mo). We are in our mid 20's and are pretty active, so we'd like to be somewhere that we could hop on our bikes and head towards the lake on the weekend.

We'll definitely use the L and CTA buses for transportation, though we do have a car as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a neighborhood we should look at (or avoid)? I don't know much about the area. Is it worth hiring an apartment finder service or just looking on Craigslist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 08:10 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
I would look into West Town, Ukrainian Village and East Ukrainian Village.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:27 PM

Tony... Thanks for your reply. I've read a lot about "streets" to avoid. Is there anything in particular that I should be avoiding in these areas? Are these relatively safe areas? I'm not naive and I recognize that there is crime everywhere, but I don't want to put myself right in the middle of it unnecessarily.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBound85 View Post
Tony... Thanks for your reply. I've read a lot about "streets" to avoid. Is there anything in particular that I should be avoiding in these areas? Are these relatively safe areas? I'm not naive and I recognize that there is crime everywhere, but I don't want to put myself right in the middle of it unnecessarily.
Well to put it simply in those areas, the closer to Ashland and the closer to Division the better.

You can also look into Noble Square and Wicker Park.

None of these neighborhoods are 100% free of problems like gangs.

You will have to put your boots on the ground and check out the block or two around the apartments.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:07 PM

Is the University Village area worth considering? The proximity would be nice, not sure about the cost or what the neighborhood is like.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:47 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
University Village is nice, but I find it unattractive (all brand-new townhouses and condos). It's not terrible but not great for nightlife.

I second the West Town recommendation. You could live near Racine and have a very easy car or bike commute to work. It's close to everything, I feel.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:22 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Is the University Village area worth considering? The proximity would be nice, not sure about the cost or what the neighborhood is like.
It's safe and newish looking. Maybe a bit sterile, but Taylor Street and Greektown are nearby and more classic Chicago. Could do much worse.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:15 AM

440 posts, read 1,502,622 times
Quote:
University Village is laid back, upscale, and extremely well-designed. University Commons, the renovated South Water Market lofts is right there, too. If you commute by CTA, you would likely take the Blue Island bus from 14th place and Racine to Harrison and Racine. If you commute by bike, you would likely take Morgan north to West Loop. It is less than a 10 minute ride.

The Taylor Street ("Little Italy") neighborhood is also really nice and is immediately to the south of your office, meaning it would be walkable.

The West Loop itself has nice loft condos. You might want to look into renting one of those.

Any of these would give you the easiest commute on the planet.

The commute from West Town is more of a challenge than it appears by looking at the map. The problem is, your route by bike would likely be Racine south, which has a stretch (by the RR tracks) with some of the worst potholes in the city.

The other thing about West Town is that some of the areas near Racine, which is also near the Blue line, are the worst in the neighborhood, crimewise, due to the presence of poorly managed public housing. And yes, they are bad. You should avoid them. If you opt for West Town, stay well west of Racine.

The areas near the Division/Ashland and North/Damen Blue Line stops are fine, but now you are talking a full-blown commute. Not a bad one, but a real one. Even by bike.

Good luck.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:26 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice. Given that I'll have a very short amount of time to find a place, do you think that using an apartment locator service would be a good idea? I've tried looking on Craigslist and I just keep seeing the same places over and over again.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the advice. Given that I'll have a very short amount of time to find a place, do you think that using an apartment locator service would be a good idea? I've tried looking on Craigslist and I just keep seeing the same places over and over again.
Are you going to be able to come here in person and look at place or are you going to try to rent before you come here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago