Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Chicago's public universities be tuition free?
Yes 4 16.67%
No 18 75.00%
Yes and books should be subsidized 2 8.33%
Yes and we should pay students to attend as well 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 05:05 AM

378 posts, read 574,520 times

Advertisements

Should Chicago's public universities be free of charge to all students?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 09:36 AM

121 posts, read 317,445 times
No, I can see making them free to well-performing students. Make a GPA requirement for free education. Just making it free for everyone doesn't require any effort for the students.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:41 AM

759 posts, read 3,131,942 times
No. Grades have been so watered down. I know kids that get straight "A's but can't do a math problem, and can't diagram a sentence.

There is a problem with out of control tuition costs, especially now, in this job market.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:43 AM

But few students can afford it despite effort.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:12 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,645,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedskjaer View Post
But few students can afford it despite effort.

But the economy can't afford it either.

College has always been hard to afford and many people had to go at nights or part time and work jobs and such to get through college. In a way that difficulty acted as a filter that ensured that many who completed college were dedicated, hard working and valued their education.

But I've no theoretical or political objection to free college (or trade school), just a practical one; we can't afford it. Not now.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:13 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,189,313 times
No. Our k-12 system would need to be radically improved before I would be in favor. I believe more of a European model, where kids teat into high school. The high schools are divided into 2 or 3 categories. One category is a college prep school for those going into a profession that truly requires a degree(s) The other is vocational training focused on making the student job worthy upon graduation or at least ready to go into an apprenticeship. Our high schools seem to be so focused on test scores and getting into college that I now consider a high school diploma the equivalent of an 8th grade diploma 60 years ago and a college diploma the equivalent of a high school diploma from 60 years ago. Many companies use a college degree to simply "weed out candidates" even when the job truly doesn't require college learned skills.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:21 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,225,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
No. Grades have been so watered down. I know kids that get straight "A's but can't do a math problem, and can't diagram a sentence.There is a problem with out of control tuition costs, especially now, in this job market.
Rep point for the bolded. It's like everyone's kid is in the honors program now. What's really going on?

Old 04-07-2011, 11:18 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,824,967 times
Nothing is free. The question is, if students/parents aren't paying for the teacher salaries, the buildings/upkeep, the materials, who is?

The rich? Given that Obama caved in and preserved the Bush tax break for the > 250K crowd, good luck with that.

The middle-class? Maybe - but if you go the standard/wussy route of just defaulting to property taxes you will see the middle class start to seriously disappear.

Honestly, this is an asinine question at a time when the formally-"free" (ie, taxpayer-supported) institutions like the Park District know routinely charges money for everything under the sun.

As a taxpayer I would support something like this ONLY if there were community service stipulations/something like "Teach for America" where recipients of this subsidized education were required to stay in the area in some high-need field, like nurses, doctors, etc.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:21 AM

Free at the point of sale of course.
There are plenty of reasonable stipulations such as staying in a region and working in a field.

Tax industry in the area to pay for colleges.
They are who benefit from it.
Why shouldn't they chip in a bit more?

Old 04-07-2011, 12:16 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,959,835 times
Chicago does have low cost tution at the city colleges for people who live in town but free is another matter I would not support unless there are some strings attached.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago