Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 11:47 PM

537 posts, read 1,029,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
If you hate urban living so much, why do you even bother to visit, much less, post on the Chicago forum. I don't care for Indiana, therefore I never bother visiting the Indiana forum.
Because clearly the suburbs have more amenities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 07:39 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,957,533 times
Default I rather enjoy the portions of Chicago and Oak Park that are well developed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
If you hate urban living so much, why do you even bother to visit, much less, post on the Chicago forum. I don't care for Indiana, therefore I never bother visiting the Indiana forum.
...however I don't think the prices of homes in those areas are going to be in the same low prices category that I believe the OP is considering.

My concern for them is that they are already under impression that some how Gaefield Ridge is "nicer" than the portion of Oak Park they are considering. From afar one cannot accurately assess such things as commercial districts in decline, housing stock that is distressed and schools that face many problems.

I believe renting makes much more since for the OP and I further believe that given their immediate need for schools they would be wise to attempt to choose and area that has uniformly good schools. In the Chicago region it would be far easier to do so by selecting an affluent town.

Funny how Savoir never seems to find to my posts to singles or couples without children where I generally am supportive of helping them locate places inside Chicago that they would find suitable / enjoyable. Maybe some else needs to peruse more forums / posts...

Old 04-08-2011, 07:45 AM

Default No disagreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
Because clearly the suburbs have more amenities
In traditional real estate centric terminology there is no question that the number one amenity for families with children are high quality schools.

I have yet to hear back from this thread's OP about what would seem to make Garfield Ridge preferable to Oak Park -- better access to Midway Airport

I think every respondent on this thread would agree that most any spot in Oak Park is more desirable than Garfield Ridge. The few exceptions might be the easternmost blocks of Oak Park where the desolation from neighboring parts of Chicago casts more of pall over the immediate area than the mere neglectful decline that is more characteristic of the southwest side of Chicago. Are those what you consider amenities.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:09 AM

214 posts, read 543,133 times
Boy, talk about two places with a totally different vibe. Gar Ridge is old school blue collar Chicago, while Oak Park is full of snooty college educated liberals. I actually like them both! I'm guessing you could get a nicer house in Gar Ridge, plus it has better bakeries.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:16 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,841,218 times
Oak Park Bakery is pretty decent and has great butter coffee cakes. But, there are no other great bakeries in the area.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:09 AM

70 posts, read 152,659 times
Comparing Garfield Ridge to Gage Park and others community areas that are much more urban is like comparing apples to oranges. The older communities have far more apartment buildings and less single family homes. Furthermore, the clear-ridge area is home to a huge number of city employees which need somewhere to live. The city employees are the stabilizing factor in the neighborhood and most came to clear-ridge from other communities further east. These people live on the edge of the city. Unlike in the past, there is no where else to go. And many are Hispanic police officers, firefighters etc.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:59 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian45919 View Post
Comparing Garfield Ridge to Gage Park and others community areas that are much more urban is like comparing apples to oranges. The older communities have far more apartment buildings and less single family homes. Furthermore, the clear-ridge area is home to a huge number of city employees which need somewhere to live. The city employees are the stabilizing factor in the neighborhood and most came to clear-ridge from other communities further east. These people live on the edge of the city. Unlike in the past, there is no where else to go. And many are Hispanic police officers, firefighters etc.
And why weren't they a stabilizing factor for the communities further east? Even city employees can't always "hold down the fort" so to speak -- just ask the employees who used to live further east why they don't any more.

I have nothing against ClearRidge and I'm not in any way cheering for its demise. In fact I think it's sad that it looks to be headed in the direction that it's neighbors to the east and northeast have gone, and I hope my prediction to that end is wrong. Would I live in ClearRidge now? Sure, if I had a reason to live in that part of town and if I were renting. Would I buy there and try to put down roots? Hell no.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:20 AM

Default Gasp, another "city hater"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
And why weren't they a stabilizing factor for the communities further east? Even city employees can't always "hold down the fort" so to speak -- just ask the employees who used to live further east why they don't any more.

I have nothing against ClearRidge and I'm not in any way cheering for its demise. In fact I think it's sad that it looks to be headed in the direction that it's neighbors to the east and northeast have gone, and I hope my prediction to that end is wrong. Would I live in ClearRidge now? Sure, if I had a reason to live in that part of town and if I were renting. Would I buy there and try to put down roots? Hell no.
What, different standards for renting and owning? Why that is abhorrent...

Old 04-08-2011, 11:51 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,569,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I think you would like Oak Park much more, considering you mentioned "active lifestyle."

Oak Park is truly wonderful. While I hate to sound like some "smug, arrogant liberal" but it is among the most progressive communities in the Chicagoland area. It has a long history of racial integration, the vibe is a bit "granola." Park has great historic charm, beautiful neighborhoods, many great places to walk to, and good schools. The main downsize, Austin Ave., to the east is a major dividing line between healthy, vibrant community, and a blighted community struggling with poverty and crime. Also, nearby Forest Park and River Forest are great too.

Garfield Ridge is not "bad". But honestly the vibe there is not one I really care for. Its mostly long-time residents, a lot of third generation Polish-Americans and Irish Americans who have some of the abrasive, borderline racist attitudes that parts of south Chicagoland are known for. Old style white flight is alive in that area, with many residents moving to further out suburbs such as Orland and Tinley Park. I would go so far as to say it might very well be the polar opposite of Oak Park.

I realize this is a generalization, I know, and you can find people of all attitudes anywhere, but the vibe is evry noticeable.
I don't think it is as much "old style " white flight from these areas ( Garfield Ridge,Clearing and other outer Southwest side neighborhoods etc. ) that is causing the demographic change like it was in the past aka the 60s, 70s, and 80s. It is more like "white attrition" in many cases in more recent times. The older people are dying off or selling their houses because they can no longer take care of them. Because of the bland housing stock ( 1950s postwar ranchstyle houses and mid century boring looking apartment complexes) and the fact that the neighborhoods are somewhat auto centric , their children are not interested in buying there. Many of these kid may have went off to college out of town,went into the military , took jobs in other areas of the country or married someone outside of Chicagoland and relocated elsewhere with their spouses. If they wanted to move back to the city they are likely to choose more trendy areas like Lakeview, Wicker Park or Roscoe Village. However most of them have kids and chose to live in the suburbs because the city public schools are so dismal and they really cannot afford to pay the high tuition for the Catholic schools. So as the older generation passes away there is not enough younger white folks interested in replacing them so demographic change is more than a distinct possibility. That in itself is not nesscessarily a bad thing and many if not most of these Latino newcomers are hardworking and want a chance just like their earlier counterparts of the more European descent. The challenge in any neighborhood of any ethnicity is to have zero tolerance for the dirtball garbage thugs and scumbag criminal trash of ANY color and keeping your neighborhood safe.

Last edited by otters21; 04-08-2011 at 12:22 PM..

Old 04-08-2011, 11:56 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,224,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
What, different standards for renting and owning? Why that is abhorrent...
Absolutely - There are many neighborhoods I would rent in just to check it out, but there is no way I'd buy.

Once you buy, it's a heck of a lot harder to get the hell out of there if you need to versus renting. If I saw that the neighborhood was changing, I'd just end my lease and zoom out of there. It's a lot harder if you have equity into a place and you risk losing your shirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago