Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 08:25 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I think every respondent on this thread would agree that most any spot in Oak Park is more desirable than Garfield Ridge.
Not me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Yes, they are. But he's talking about getting out of the neighborhood when hipsters and all the young white dudes started to come en masse.

YouTube - All the Young Dudes - Live! - Mott the Hoople, David Bowie

Old 04-08-2011, 08:45 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,254,758 times

Well played, sir.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:57 PM

70 posts, read 153,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post

Well played, sir.
That was funny. Glad to see there is some humor on this forum.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian45919 View Post
Listen, everywhere you live in the city has a downside. For some it's living near blue collar people, others it's smug intelligentsia, for others hipsters, and yet for others minorities, and even yet others yuppies. So you pick your poison about what types of peoples you want to live near. The city neighborhoods tend to group certain types of peoples together in close proximity, and Chicago is a fairly segregated city, not just by color but by what "kind" of a person you are. I have lived all over the city of chicago and even in the suburbs, and it's different wherever you go.
The concern people here have been expressing about ClearRidge isn't about the kind of people who live there today -- that's a known quantity. The concern is the kind of people who will live there tomorrow -- that's not such a known quantity but we can get ideas based on what has happened to adjoining areas.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:51 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Still waiting to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Not me.

...what would make Garfield Ridge preferable to Oak Park?

Old 04-08-2011, 10:56 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:

It's not full of insufferably smug, holier than thou Doopers.

Some things about Oak Park never change; it's always been an enclave of the self satisfied. Faced with the choice I'd much rather live with a bunch of Poles and Mexicans.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:52 AM

Quote:
If I have a party, my guests can park on the street overnight. That is reason enough.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:58 AM

70 posts, read 153,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The concern people here have been expressing about ClearRidge isn't about the kind of people who live there today -- that's a known quantity. The concern is the kind of people who will live there tomorrow -- that's not such a known quantity but we can get ideas based on what has happened to adjoining areas.
85% of those that live here tomorrow will need to be able to afford their own home. There are not very many apartment buildings in this area as opposed to areas further east. How many low income residents can do that? I would say Clear-ridge will be stable in the long run. Especially the western areas toward Harlem. The hispanic population will increase, but it will eventually average out at about 50/50 throughout the entire community area.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:49 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,288,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
... he says to someone who lives in Albany Park.

No translation is necessary. Crime has been up in ClearRidge and one can get a preview of what to expect there in the future from neighborhoods to the east and northeast that have already undergone the demographic shift that ClearRidge is now experiencing. If you like what's going on in Marquette Park or Brighton Park or Gage Park, well there's good news because ClearRidge looks to be headed in that direction. If you want to wave the "racism" flag, go ahead. But the truth is a stubborn thing that does not bend to accusations of racism.
All I did was repeat what he said, minus the sugar coating. Was it politically incorrect, perhaps, was it waving the "racism" flag, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago