Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What size does it feel like
Second largest 143 63.56%
Third largerst 58 25.78%
Fourth largest 24 10.67%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 10:24 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,910,715 times

Advertisements

IMO, Chicago both feels and resembles the 3rd largest city. So when you go to the Loop on a weekend, it's kind of cool for it to be empty, but with all the buildings there. Then you walk a few miles north on State and you are downtown with throngs of people. Then you walk to Rush Street with all the people milling around in the summer and having a good time at the bars.

Chicago is a massive city. Houston doesn't even feel like a big city.

LA is just like Chicago and NYC. I think LA feels bigger than NYC due to the massive urban middle density sprawl and the sheer size of LA County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 12:18 PM

346 posts, read 739,153 times
Of course Chicago feels like either the third or second largest city, but houston definately feels like a big city in many many areas. But not as big as chicago. Bigger than anywhere else ive been except the top three. Some other contenders in the mix that feel way bigger than their ranks are D.C and the San Francisco bay area.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:24 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,098,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zxtwinturbo View Post
Of course Chicago feels like either the third or second largest city, but houston definately feels like a big city in many many areas. But not as big as chicago. Bigger than anywhere else ive been except the top three. Some other contenders in the mix that feel way bigger than their ranks are D.C and the San Francisco bay area.

Density
From what I gather Houston is just sprawl basically its the whole county
of course its going to be large if you take that much land in a major metro.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:27 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,098,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ole69 View Post
Wait, since 26-square-mile Manhattan island (1 of the 5 boroughs of an admittedly larger city) is more crowded during business hours than Chicago, Chicago doesn't feel like the 2nd largest city?

I'm not following your logic here. Maybe if you mentioned how LA seemed bigger to you and why, it would make more sense.

Also, having worked in the Wall Street area and now in the loop, I'll take the loop any day. I'm one of those weird people who prefers my sidewalks to be LESS crowded though.
LOL, I dont get the logic here either.
Question are the boroughs the same as our counties? Never quite understood that one. but I am getting the feeling it is maybe i am wrong but would really like to know.
was each borough at one time an actual city in reg brooklyn?
Its just odd to me how you can annex in the land and compare to chicago
granted way back in the day chicago annexed alot of areas like beverly
just curious.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:31 PM

346 posts, read 739,153 times
If you don't know the city of houston, and visit someone who lives in the burbs, and the only thing you see is massive freeways for miles and miles through sprawl, then yea you will get that idea. But standing in main street square yesterday, or market square; their aren't many places in the country that are decidedly more urban. Although chicago is definately one of them. Along with perhaps 4 other cities.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:36 PM

312 posts, read 712,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Question are the boroughs the same as our counties? Never quite understood that one. but I am getting the feeling it is maybe i am wrong but would really like to know.
just curious.
you know, I'd never thought about it. I knew that brooklyn was king's county, and queens was queen's. but it looks like each borough is its own county.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:15 PM

28 posts, read 51,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ole69 View Post
you know, I'd never thought about it. I knew that brooklyn was king's county, and queens was queen's. but it looks like each borough is its own county.
You lived in NYC for 10 years and didn't know that each borough is a separate county? Brooklyn is Kings County; Queens is Queens County; Bronx is Bronx County, Staten Island is Richmond County and New York (Manhattan) is New York County. These five areas were consolidated in 1898 into New York City. New York is Manhattan; people in the other boroughs refer to Manhattan as New York. All cities annexed surrounding towns; Chicago for example annexed Lakeview etc. The problem is the older cities are land-locked while the sunbelts cities like Houston have lots of empty room for growth.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
IMO, Chicago both feels and resembles the 3rd largest city. So when you go to the Loop on a weekend, it's kind of cool for it to be empty, but with all the buildings there. Then you walk a few miles north on State and you are downtown with throngs of people. Then you walk to Rush Street with all the people milling around in the summer and having a good time at the bars.

Chicago is a massive city. Houston doesn't even feel like a big city.

LA is just like Chicago and NYC. I think LA feels bigger than NYC due to the massive urban middle density sprawl and the sheer size of LA County.
Within a 1.5 miles from State/Madison you are past Rush Street so I'm not sure where a few miles up State Street are and then you come into Rush Street...State/Rush Street nightlife area is 1/2 mile from Chicago to Division...

Old 04-28-2011, 01:23 PM

312 posts, read 712,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont11 View Post
You lived in NYC for 10 years and didn't know that each borough is a separate county? Brooklyn is Kings County; Queens is Queens County; Bronx is Bronx County, Staten Island is Richmond County and New York (Manhattan) is New York County. These five areas were consolidated in 1898 into New York City. New York is Manhattan; people in the other boroughs refer to Manhattan as New York. All cities annexed surrounding towns; Chicago for example annexed Lakeview etc. The problem is the older cities are land-locked while the sunbelts cities like Houston have lots of empty room for growth.
Yeah. How dare I?

Old 04-28-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
just curious.
Didn't think I'd have to defend my opinion so much but the post, again, was ''feel'' like 3rd largest city...imo, no...it's not really all that busy and has nothing to do with city square mile size so I guess I don't follow the logic here when I know Chicago is a large city area wise; I never stated that Chicago was a small city...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago