Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 10:59 AM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerio View Post
Having gone to Polish school for a number of years and being brought up in a more-Polish-than-American household, I have mixed feelings. This is also a suburban perspective as well, but I guess it helps that I was born in Poland.

I do not like that I see more Indians and Asians at the library than Poles. This is disheartening and I would like to see more of "my people" there.

I do not like being associated with the contractor business. Many of them are aggressive and provincial people.

I do not like the whole club rat image of the younger people. I like clubs, music, and dancing, but my generation takes it to a ridiculous level. Most of them are quite elitist as well about it.

I like the good food, and the fairly prodigious amount of alcohol served at a gathering, whether wedding, family reunion, or outing.

I like the "connection" one gets when you say you're from Poland. It's like meeting an American in a foreign country -- it's just nice.

I like our history and enduring culture. I also like how Poland is becoming prosperous under the capitalist system (to a degree).
That is a perfect analysis. Thank you! It reflects my own personal mixed feelings about "my people." I was born and raised in the Chicago suburbs, but both sides of the family are all Polish, with my moms side being much stronger - as they have only been here since the 50s,with others moving here in the 80s (Dads side moved here in the early 20th century just before WWI), My brother married a Polish girl who moved to the states in the 90s.

Your analysis is right on, and reflects exaclty what I feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 02:06 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
I can't see any Polish people from where I'm currently sitting, so I guess you could say I don't have a view of Polish people ...

Old 04-21-2011, 02:29 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
I can't either . but my son-in-law is Polish thru and thru and so is my boss.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:46 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
The Polish are good people , the old shcools Polish are very hard workers and value a dollar.
Have had a few good polish friends over the years and they are loyal to boot.

Very Industrious.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:26 PM

312 posts, read 712,985 times
The one in the mirror just winked at me and I don't know how I should take it.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:54 PM

98 posts, read 111,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
There is actually one Polish bar left over there that is legit - Zakopane on Division Street. You will find Poles drinking there and a Polish bartender. It seems pretty out of place on that stretch of bars and restaurants these days.
Now it is destined to disappear after announcing it.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:36 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
Now it is destined to disappear after announcing it.
Yeah dont jinx a place like that
Anyway I looked up info on this mill, looks like a pretty unique bar with character. This will be on my list to see when I am up in that area.

Thanks

Old 05-25-2011, 06:29 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
I work with a few Poles at a machine shop, and find them to be quite friendly, and dedicated workers. Always willing to help out, yet enjoy a good laugh throughout the day.

I myself am 3rd generation Polish, and proud. On my toolbox at work I have a beautiful decal of the Polish flag. It was actually my great uncles old toolbox, which was passed down to my uncle, and finally to me. All of us have worked in the trades as machinists. Never forget where you've come from, and look forward to where your going...

Old 05-25-2011, 11:14 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,054 times
I'm fourth generation Polish on my mom's side so I kind of/sort of identify with the culture. Very Catholic, very hardworking, and industrious would all be good ways to describe most Polish people I know. Not really a big fan of the food except maybe a good pierogi with applesauce and sour cream!

Old 05-26-2011, 11:27 AM

5 posts, read 9,248 times
As a minority, I just want to point out that it is deconstructive to stereotype and pre-judge people based on their nationality or ethnicity. Having an opinion on "polish people" means categorizing many different individuals into a single group and then attributing characteristics to those individuals based on the behavior of the group. People constantly have pre-judgments about me because I'm Asian before they even get to know me. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it's just not a helpful way of relating to others.

Sorry, rant over. Soap box abdicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago