U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-22-2011, 06:05 PM

312 posts, read 346,136 times
Choo Choo Tuffy (we were also called Team Weigant and Jennings Waylon at some points). What band was your husband in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 10:48 PM

13 posts, read 18,588 times
I would avoid Humboldt Park all together East or West. You mentioned Kedzie which is more than likely the Blvd which is close to Humboldt Park. It amazes me how realtors market Humboldt Park like it is some sort of safe haven. You will have to deal with Gang Violence which includes open fire shooting, drive by shootings and drug dealing all around you. Let't not forget about the yearly Puerto Rican parade...where anything is subject to happen. My God mother rents a hotel every year just to avoid. I am all for not being afraid and being a part of something up and coming but I am not sure you want to take such a risk. I would not trust my kids to play outside in that area nor would I want to live in that area. Don't be fooled by the yuppie restaurants and hip and trendy stores - you would be living there once nightfall comes. Do you hear gunshots at night when you go to bed in Tulsa?

With your budget you may have to sacrifice SF but go to a better area. Some may be Lincoln Park, Edgewater, Addison, South Loop to name a few.

Please direct message me any other questions or concerns. Take care and be safe!

Old 04-22-2011, 10:57 PM

wow, well, take it from thomasfamily over people who have actually lived there the past 5 years! lol

Old 04-23-2011, 02:18 AM

98 posts, read 10,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasfamilymove2009 View Post
With your budget you may have to sacrifice SF but go to a better area. Some may be Lincoln Park, Edgewater, Addison, South Loop to name a few.
What is Addison? I have never heard of that neighborhood.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:43 PM

2,068 posts, read 967,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamandbiscuits View Post
For all of you music lovers in the Chicagoland area, we have a VERY SPECIAL, MUST SEE EVENT for you:

One night only, this Saturday, April 23rd, CHICAGO AFROBEAT PROJECT will be playing with DJ ?UESTLOVE (of The Roots) @ The Shrine!!!!!

If YOU love funky, Afro, soul, hip-hop, and/or R&B music, then YOU MUST BE HERE!

If YOU love tasty improvisational jams coupled with tremendous drum/horn section arrangements, then YOU MUST SEE CHICAGO AFROBEAT PROJECT!

And if YOU love the fresh sound of ?UESTLOVE as he plays drums for THE ROOTS, then YOU will love him as he spins a DJ set!

If YOU'RE looking for NEW and/or EXCITING music to enjoy, then this is the place for you!

THE SHRINE is located at 2109 S. Wabash Chicago IL 60616. BE THERE!!!

8-9pm - FREE
9-11pm - $10
After 11pm - $25

----------------
Check this link:

GIANT STEPô | Event - Questlove w/ Chicago Afrobeat Project

YouTube - Talking Bush - Chicago Afrobeat Project (05/07/09.A8b)

YouTube - ?uestlove Record Library

IF YOU SHOW UP BETWEEN 8-9PM, YOU WILL GET IN FOR FREE; THE SHRINE IS PREMIERING THEIR DOCUMENTARY ABOUT THIS BRAND NEW VENUE!!!

YouTube - "The Return of Chicago Cool" | Documentary Teaser
Does ?uestlove live in Humboldt Park?

Old 04-23-2011, 05:28 PM

400 posts, read 478,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ole69 View Post
Do you give everyone this much grief over their preferences? I am not asking YOU to prefer them. I liked UK village because it was easy to walk everywhere (up to Division, or just sticking around Chicago Avenue), I got on well with the Ukrainians and Poles with whom I share heritage, and for work, it was 20-30 minutes on the #66.

I can never find a seat on the El, and have found it to be less reliable than buses overall. With the Buster app, I don't find myself waiting too long at a bus stop either.
Yeah I do, I want to see how logic/nonlogic goes together.
I own and live in my favorite neigborhood.
I dont understand how you wouldnt find the neigborhood you live in to be your favorite? Logans Square is very cool, Do you live near the EL?
Yes I am a very EL centric person, I have never lived far from the EL while living in Chicago.

Maybe Im the nonlogical one, but Buses have always equaled poor to me.
And they are just in the way, It wouldve been better if the street cars were still around, those I would take. Yes Im a rail snob.

Ok so you gave me reasons why Uk village is your favorite.
So why isnt Logan Square your favorite? Is Uk village really more expensive than Logan Square?

Old 04-23-2011, 05:42 PM

To buy the kind of place we wanted, yes, Uk Village easily was. Otherwise, we would have bought there. And I prefer the bus -- I don't expect you to agree with me on that.

I live 1.4 miles from the El, and occasionally take it, but more often, I take 2 buses, the second of which drops me off right in front of my work.

I like Logan Square plenty, I just like Uk Village more. I am not positing that Uk Village is objectively better than Logan Square, but Uk Village appeals to me more.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:31 PM

400 posts, read 218,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ole69 View Post
Choo Choo Tuffy (we were also called Team Weigant and Jennings Waylon at some points). What band was your husband in?
One he was in was called Sunset Beach, but I don't think they played there. Neither of us have had the pleasure of seeing a live Choo Choo Tuffy show I have been looking into UV and Logan Sq. and It seems like there's a lot in our price range. We will be visiting soon to make a final decision and they are on the short list of neighborhoods to check out, we may end up being neighbors!

Old 04-23-2011, 10:27 PM

2,041 posts, read 3,432,417 times
Humboldt Park was just barely starting to gentrify before the real estate market crashed. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for improvement any time soon. If demand for housing ever picks up again, neighborhoods that were much farther along like Logan Square are going to improve first.

I also though Berwyn would be a great choice. No Chicago address, but which looks more like the city?

Mt Greenwood, Chicago, IL - Google Maps

berwyn il - Google Maps

berwyn il - Google Maps

And don't worry about diversity. It's well over 50% Hispanic. Cicero next door is over 80% Hispanic. Oak Park to the north is about half black. It's not quite the same as suburban Tulsa is it?

Old 04-23-2011, 10:41 PM

5,102 posts, read 7,662,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
And don't worry about diversity. It's well over 50% Hispanic. Cicero next door is over 80% Hispanic. Oak Park to the north is about half black. It's not quite the same as suburban Tulsa is it?
A minor correction: Oak Park is about 20% African-American, not 50%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago