U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 04-23-2011, 11:44 PM
 
11 posts, read 15,811 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

I've lived in Rogers Park for almost a year now and love my place (near Lakewood and North Shore). For anyone who has a little more experience in the neighborhood, where do you think things start to go downhill? In particular, heading north and staying between Greenview and Sheridan?

I'm considering moving just east of Estes and Glenwood--does anyone have knowledge of that area and have any input into whether it's safe or not? I think after Pratt there's a slight drop off and a steeper one after Lunt, although like I said, I'm newer to the neighborhood so I would certainly value informed opinions.

I can handle a decent amount of sketchiness--before l moved to RP I lived about 3 blocks east of Fullerton and Pulaski in west Logan Square. Although I was pretty fed up with LS by the time I left. Anyway, any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-23-2011, 11:56 PM
 
98 posts, read 18,417 times
Reputation: 18
If you lived at Fullerton and Pulaski you can handle anything Rogers Park can throw you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2011, 05:50 PM
 
320 posts, read 534,238 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Vaughn View Post
I've lived in Rogers Park for almost a year now and love my place (near Lakewood and North Shore). For anyone who has a little more experience in the neighborhood, where do you think things start to go downhill? In particular, heading north and staying between Greenview and Sheridan?

I'm considering moving just east of Estes and Glenwood--does anyone have knowledge of that area and have any input into whether it's safe or not? I think after Pratt there's a slight drop off and a steeper one after Lunt, although like I said, I'm newer to the neighborhood so I would certainly value informed opinions.

I can handle a decent amount of sketchiness--before l moved to RP I lived about 3 blocks east of Fullerton and Pulaski in west Logan Square. Although I was pretty fed up with LS by the time I left. Anyway, any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
I think after living in RP for a year, you will realize that it literally varies from block to block. I did my time at Morse and Shreridan, and you are correct - there is a drop-off after Pratt. That said, going back to the old hood, it is amazing how they have cleaned up the area over by the Morse stop. Pratt and Ashland still seemed like ground zero for neighborhood shadiness, for at least the areas south of the Loyola Park fieldhouse.

Up by that address on Estes, it looks like there has been a string of armed robberies lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2011, 10:16 PM
 
400 posts, read 516,097 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_nerve_action View Post
I think after living in RP for a year, you will realize that it literally varies from block to block. I did my time at Morse and Shreridan, and you are correct - there is a drop-off after Pratt. That said, going back to the old hood, it is amazing how they have cleaned up the area over by the Morse stop. Pratt and Ashland still seemed like ground zero for neighborhood shadiness, for at least the areas south of the Loyola Park fieldhouse.

Up by that address on Estes, it looks like there has been a string of armed robberies lately.
Ok kudos. First post to acknowledge how Morse has changed of late.
Pratt and Ashland is better of late. Its just that it has such a blech Plaza there. Mugging is still something that needs to watched our for in RP. Especially late at night

I think Estes east of Glenwood is okay.
More and more there is less of a drop off anywhere in Rogers Park.
Atleast East of Clark and South of Howard.
Clark street is still pretty bleh. Its better with the new awnings,
but the businesses are redundant. The Butcher shop at Touhy and Clark is cool, some good mexican places, a decent liquor store at columbia and clark. Captain Nemos, that Hop Haus place.

Otherwise still blech. I would like to see the area around the Metra stop
improve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2011, 03:38 AM
 
98 posts, read 18,417 times
Reputation: 18
Elect a new Alderman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2011, 06:25 PM
 
400 posts, read 516,097 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
Elect a new Alderman.
If Joe Moore won over his biggest critic Craig Gernhardt
he is doing a pretty good job. Broken Heart Rogers Park blog
is caput. Joe Moore has done a good job,
like what was already mentioned look at Morse.

Howard is the next street to get the streetscape treatment.
Howard is going to be a decent street.
Believe it or not it has been getting better on Howard of late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2011, 09:01 AM
 
320 posts, read 534,238 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier xerxes View Post
If Joe Moore won over his biggest critic Craig Gernhardt
he is doing a pretty good job. Broken Heart Rogers Park blog
is caput. Joe Moore has done a good job,
like what was already mentioned look at Morse.

Howard is the next street to get the streetscape treatment.
Howard is going to be a decent street.
Believe it or not it has been getting better on Howard of late.
The impetus for the broken heart blog died when they cleaned up the two apartment buildings across from the Morse stop. Gernhardt tried to make it about the high school, but his heart wasn't in it.

The Top Hat...Mama's Fish...World's Worst Osco....all Morse institutions that are no longer with us as the micro-neighborhood and clientele changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2011, 02:47 PM
 
400 posts, read 516,097 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_nerve_action View Post
The impetus for the broken heart blog died when they cleaned up the two apartment buildings across from the Morse stop. Gernhardt tried to make it about the high school, but his heart wasn't in it.

The Top Hat...Mama's Fish...World's Worst Osco....all Morse institutions that are no longer with us as the micro-neighborhood and clientele changed.
Very true.
However it was Avondale LoganSquare Crime Blotter
manned by Timmy who did all the Sullivan Entries.

Very good blog by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2011, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Logan Square
312 posts, read 374,086 times
Reputation: 120
timmy needs people's support. He was about to shut down recently due to some troll. I don't check back as often as I'd like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top