Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 01:18 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,374,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heechee View Post
I've heard there is some super-exclusive donut shop near the loop that is only open for an hour or so each day and closes as soon as they sell out of donuts. Apparently the donuts are amazing, but you have to be there as soon as the place opens to get one. Anyone know what the place is called, or where it is, or if it's worth going?
Also, this reminds me of those cupcake places that were all the rage recently. There was one, about 5 years ago, at the corner of Briar and Broadway, which would open and as soon as the batch of cupakes was sold, would close shop for the day. The cupcakes were DRY and NASTY, like eating stale wedding cake. They were open for about a year, and then went out of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 03:55 PM

142 posts, read 431,838 times
So, as I'm reading this thread, I'm thinking to myself, "You know, it's a f*cking donut."
I guess I'm not cool enough to stand in line for 45 minutes just to eat a chunk of deep-fried dough.

But gimme a chocolate cake donut from Roeser's any day! Those things are like crack!

Old 05-02-2011, 05:05 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkV View Post
But gimme a chocolate cake donut from Roeser's any day! Those things are like crack!

I see Laury's bakery is still at Madison and Austin; that was a damned good bakery 50 years ago and far better than Burny Brothers. You ever try it?

Old 05-02-2011, 06:03 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
Also, this reminds me of those cupcake places that were all the rage recently. There was one, about 5 years ago, at the corner of Briar and Broadway, which would open and as soon as the batch of cupakes was sold, would close shop for the day. The cupcakes were DRY and NASTY, like eating stale wedding cake. They were open for about a year, and then went out of business.
Ah, yes. I remember that place. Whenever I'd walk by, I was always tempted to go in and try their cupcakes, but I just couldn't bring myself to pay $3-$4 for a single cupcake, so I never did.

How reassuring to know that I didn't miss anything.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I see Laury's bakery is still at Madison and Austin; that was a damned good bakery 50 years ago and far better than Burny Brothers. You ever try it?
Sad to say, no I haven't. But now that I have a recommendation, I plan on trying it.

Now I'm craving chocolate cake donuts...damn...

Old 05-02-2011, 10:02 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,410,209 times
Try Kay's Bakery on Madison... but in Forest Park.
Good chocolate donuts.
Oak Park Bakery not good.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:35 PM

289 posts, read 896,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Ah, yes. I remember that place. Whenever I'd walk by, I was always tempted to go in and try their cupcakes, but I just couldn't bring myself to pay $3-$4 for a single cupcake, so I never did.

How reassuring to know that I didn't miss anything.
They are reincarnated as cupcake trucks. One is Flirty Cupcakes and I forgot the name of the other one. The cupcake was $3.57 and wasn't even as big as one I'd get at a kid's birthday party. It tasted great and the ingredients were top notch, but all I kept thinking was how cupcakes for me, my wife and two kids would be 15 bucks!

They are gonna sell a cupcake to a bunch of people one time. Nobody who bought once off a cupcake truck is going to bust a u-turn or walk a block to get another one.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Try Kay's Bakery on Madison... but in Forest Park.
Good chocolate donuts.
Oak Park Bakery not good.
Agreed.

As for cupcakes, I like the ones you can get at Jewel's bakery. Gritty buttercream frosting Plus, they're like $5.00/dozen.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:43 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,868,329 times
Irishtom,

Laurys may have been good 50 years ago but last year when I stopped in I was very disappointed.

Roesers is good, especially for the cakes.

One of the better local bakeries is in Melrose Park at the corner of 19th and Lake, Dunk Donuts. Very good blueberry cake and cake donuts in general. The yeast donuts are good but not as good.

Kean's Bakery in Itasca is still one of my favorites along with Deerfields (mostly for presentation).

Old 05-03-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Irishtom,

Laurys may have been good 50 years ago but last year when I stopped in I was very disappointed.

Roesers is good, especially for the cakes.

One of the better local bakeries is in Melrose Park at the corner of 19th and Lake, Dunk Donuts. Very good blueberry cake and cake donuts in general. The yeast donuts are good but not as good.

Kean's Bakery in Itasca is still one of my favorites along with Deerfields (mostly for presentation).

We got a torte from Roeser's for my boyfriend's mom's 50th birthday. It was absolutely to-die-for!! Wasn't the pastry chef at Roeser's on Cake Boss a couple years ago?

Dunk Donuts IS awesome. My boyfriend grew up on that bakery. Every once in awhile, we'll ride our bikes from Oak Park to there, then blow all the calories we've burned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago