U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Sun-Times or The Tribune?
Tribune 32 65.31%
Sun-Times 17 34.69%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 12:33 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,265,008 times

Advertisements

Neither. I abstained from voting in this poll.

Five years ago or more, I would've voted for the Tribune hands down, but since they "downsized" to a tabloid format and dropped the extensive international coverage they used to excel in, I can't be bothered with them anymore.

I haven't purchased a newspaper in perhaps five years or more. If I'm out at a restaurant or coffee shop or somewhere, and someone's discarded newspaper is lying around, I might pick it up and peruse the headlines, but otherwise I get all my news from television and online. I'll usually go to Google news and do a search for something I'm interested in, then peruse a number of news sources that turn up. No brand-name loyalty to any particular source these days for me.

Anyway, it's a shame that a city the size and prominence of Chicago no longer has a decent daily newspaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 04:39 AM

3,528 posts, read 2,976,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Neither. I abstained from voting in this poll.

Five years ago or more, I would've voted for the Tribune hands down, but since they "downsized" to a tabloid format and dropped the extensive international coverage they used to excel in, I can't be bothered with them anymore.

I haven't purchased a newspaper in perhaps five years or more. If I'm out at a restaurant or coffee shop or somewhere, and someone's discarded newspaper is lying around, I might pick it up and peruse the headlines, but otherwise I get all my news from television and online. I'll usually go to Google news and do a search for something I'm interested in, then peruse a number of news sources that turn up. No brand-name loyalty to any particular source these days for me.

Anyway, it's a shame that a city the size and prominence of Chicago no longer has a decent daily newspaper.
very true
and the likely reason is the internet
these companies cant survive with the mass vast amount of resources that are available to the everyday person
alot of so called news has turned into junk
most cable news shows
and you want to really see junk take a look at comcast news page
or yahoo , aol
eveything is so hollywood anymore

Old 05-04-2011, 08:41 AM

5,279 posts, read 4,545,769 times
the Tribune and Sun-Times both have good stuff in them, but also a lot of crapola filler. in a nutshell, the Tribune reinvented itself as a more Chicagoland-area (ie, including the suburbs) paper years back, whereas the Sun-Times is more City-oriented.

Talk to City workers, they'll tell you (unless something has changed in the past 5 years, which is possible) that the real dirt comes out in the Sun Tines, a la Hired Trucks.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
the Tribune and Sun-Times both have good stuff in them, but also a lot of crapola filler. in a nutshell, the Tribune reinvented itself as a more Chicagoland-area (ie, including the suburbs) paper years back, whereas the Sun-Times is more City-oriented.

Talk to City workers, they'll tell you (unless something has changed in the past 5 years, which is possible) that the real dirt comes out in the Sun Tines, a la Hired Trucks.
That makes sense-
the tribune has gone thru several format changes trying to find the niche
with trib - local

dont they have to be regional to compete?
i dont even know if they are a national paper anymore
they used to have boxes all over the place and now its gone
kind of like the blue post office boxes
found an old tribune in the house a while back and picked it up and its was very wide compared to the skinny paper now
not the tabloid but the long version

Old 05-04-2011, 01:27 PM

1,984 posts, read 2,317,332 times
Historically the Tribune was the best paper in Chicago. The more educated classes read it and the Sun Times was written in somewhat of a dumbed down fashion to appeal to more of the common and maybe uneducated person. At least that's what my perception was. The Tribune was more conservative, the Sun Times liberal and supported labor, etc.

Its sad the Tribune has reinvented itself and is no longer a great paper. If I had a choice I'd read the Tribune but frankly I got the sun times because it was easier to read on the train. The NY Times is a great paper, don't get to read it often.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:47 PM

2,199 posts, read 3,420,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Historically the Tribune was the best paper in Chicago. The more educated classes read it and the Sun Times was written in somewhat of a dumbed down fashion to appeal to more of the common and maybe uneducated person. At least that's what my perception was. The Tribune was more conservative, the Sun Times liberal and supported labor, etc.

Its sad the Tribune has reinvented itself and is no longer a great paper. If I had a choice I'd read the Tribune but frankly I got the sun times because it was easier to read on the train. The NY Times is a great paper, don't get to read it often.
NYT is my go to for good writing. It's probably one of the only news sources that doesn't make me feel angry for wasting my time reading.

Though it's an alternative weekly, I love the Reader. it's a bit progressive for me at times; but damn, I love good literary journalism.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:20 PM

9,194 posts, read 13,738,100 times
So many people here are bashing both papers, and while I'm not saying they're wrong, check out the papers in other smaller cities around the country. Local newspapers have REALLY gone downhill the past 10 years or so.

The one back in my hometown decended from a mediocre newspaper with your full local news section, some AP stories, sports and opinion to a large leaflet with NO real news. Basically 5 fluff pieces and random "crime" stories. Their budget must just be some guy in a basement somewhere.

I go to the Tribune for more local breaking news as it happens, national and state news, and the Sun Times for a little more in-depth Chicago issues. I don't really mind either of them.

I look at a lot throughout the day (I'm a news wh--e).

BBC
CNN
MSNBC
USA Today
Des Moines Register
NY Times
LA Times
Tribune
Sun Times
Fox News
other sites like skyscrapercity and skyscraperpage for different points of view

Some for news, some for local issues, some just to see how the same story is spun by different outlets (Fox especially).

Old 05-04-2011, 02:33 PM

11,441 posts, read 9,261,459 times
Much of the decline of American newspapers is not because of the internet, but Americans have, over the decades, read less and less. About two years ago I read that newspaper readership has declined by 65% in 30 years. Most people prefer effortless TV news and listen to various commentators. People are more interested in sensationalism than facts.
I grew up in Chicago and still remember the Trib from the sixties. It was 3 sections full of news. The entire daily back page of the third section (Business & Sports) was press photos (about 8 or 10) from all over the world.
The thick Sunday Trib required a lot of time to read.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:48 PM

2,199 posts, read 3,420,327 times
Ha. I got my brother a book for Christmas and he was literally upset with me. Actually, I know very few people who read regularly (nonfiction or otherwise.)

Old 05-04-2011, 04:01 PM

Yeah and we wonder why borders closed down all over the place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago