U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 12:31 PM

755 posts, read 821,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odannyboi View Post
"The way I saw it. Everybody gets a beating sometime." -Henry Hill (A Goodfella)

Honestly, alot of these neighborhoods where the events happen are filled with affluent, benevolent/professional whites that would rather reason with people than fight them. There is no reasoning with these scum.

You wouldn't see this stuff in blue collar neighborhoods. Sometimes you need use violence to combat violence.

If you are on a bus and you see a large group of these kids board without paying, get ready to fight. If you see someone in trouble, go in and help them (punch them in the kidneys while they are distracted knock a few of them upside the head, they will scatter). Don't consider it lowering yourself to their level... throw pride out of the window once in a while. They'll get the message.

I'm sorry but this city lost its pair.
Yeah right...the same people in blue collar neighborhoods that have historically flocked to the burbs in droves as soon as crime started seeping into their neighborhoods? "Chicago tough" is a b.s. stereotype that may play well on TV/movies and from the safety of the internet, but it is not the reality on the ground.

I live in a blue collar neighborhood and 100 times out of 100 I would rather give up an iPod rather than make a decision that could cost me my life. You don't think any of these thugs are packing heat?

Old 06-09-2011, 12:37 PM

5,281 posts, read 4,533,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I know stuff happens all the time and it's just not heard, but maybe all the media frenzy over these other crimes will really get the city moving.....

Just in the past 24 hours, and it's distrubing that the articles are clearly trying to make it about race.....:
I'm downtown every day, there's no shortage of well-dressed professional people of color.

It might help your point if these gangs knocked over a token minority here or there. Until that happens, good luck trying to get people to not notice the obvious. Even the Sun-Times columnists like Mary Mitchell are pointing this out.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:38 PM

1,983 posts, read 2,308,970 times
It seems to me that the reporting is just stating the facts, there is no other spin on it. It important to know factoids about suspects if you are trying to apprehend them, reporting will tend to follow by providing this information.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:40 PM

3,022 posts, read 3,517,417 times
Quote:
5?? In most of these cases, it is 10-20 beating up on 1 person (usually someone who looks weak: old person, young teen, middle age skinny dude on a scooter). Media hype? Complete BULLS__T to even suggest that.

Apparently, you don't know what the hell is going on in this city. Get your facts and your head checked.
I was referring directly to an incident referred to in a previous post, and making the point that it seems like everyone is calling everything a mob attack now (see Chicago60614's post above for an example).

I know there are mob attacks happening, but there's a point where something is a plain old mugging or assault and not a mob attack. That's not to dismiss them, but they also aren't something to lump into a larger trend.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
I know there are mob attacks happening, but there's a point where something is a plain old mugging or assault and not a mob attack. That's not to dismiss them, but they also aren't something to lump into a larger trend.
But then what would the media have to hype?

Old 06-09-2011, 01:11 PM

537 posts, read 538,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I know stuff happens all the time and it's just not heard, but maybe all the media frenzy over these other crimes will really get the city moving.....

Just in the past 24 hours, and it's distrubing that the articles are clearly trying to make it about race.....:
What? It's called offfender profiling. Pretty much every criminal report across the country lists race and sex of the offenders. Since your links also say males, is it equally disturbing to you that they are sexist as well?

Old 06-09-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I'm downtown every day, there's no shortage of well-dressed professional people of color.

It might help your point if these gangs knocked over a token minority here or there. Until that happens, good luck trying to get people to not notice the obvious. Even the Sun-Times columnists like Mary Mitchell are pointing this out.
If there were groups of white teens assaulting/robbing blacks in predominately black neighborhoods they would be labeled hate crimes.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:18 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,418,429 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but this city lost its pair.
It does seem like everyone is just standing around not helping when these attacks are going down. Definitely discouraging.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
If there were groups of white teens assaulting/robbing blacks in predominately black neighborhoods they would be labeled hate crimes.
probably. but what's your point?

Old 06-09-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
probably. but what's your point?
Just a general distaste of the level of political correctness today. The Sun Times purposely not mentioning race in their reports and people in this thread complaining about other news outlets mentioning the race of the offenders is beyond absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago