Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 08:31 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,556,470 times

Advertisements

Chigrad- here is another resource you may find helpful:

Depression Resources, Self-Help Info, Forums, Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 08:33 PM

8 posts, read 32,668 times
Appreciate it. Thanks. I will definitely look into it.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:13 PM

361 posts, read 1,084,719 times
leave Chicago. It is almost impossible to get a job there, especially where a career is concerned, unless you know somebody on the inside. i was born and raised in Chicago and even i could never find a job when i was there. i had two shady, under the table type jobs that were hooked up by, of course, someone i knew, and it took forever for the jobs to even come through.

now im down here in Miami, where many jobs require u to speak Spanish and where the job market is twice as bad, and i was able to find not one, but two jobs here almost instantly that im working now. not saying move to Miami, but think about leaving Chicago.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:50 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,649,536 times
I'm gainfully employed, but I can understand what you're feeling. In my mind, I'm sitting here thinking man wouldn't it be nice right now to have so much more free time because of no job. I would love to just have a whole month off (without pay even) but it's so hard to do that as you probably know. You could be doing so much with all of that time it's insane. Work eats up a ton of my time during the week. Yes, you have a real job and support yourself, but remember it has its own downsides too. Once you get a full time job, you'll come back on here in a few months and complain that you are working too many hours or that your boss is a pain in the ass. So just remember all of that too whenever you get depressed about all of this. I know it's harder said than done, but man I would love to have the time you probably have right now to build a fortune for yourself.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:00 AM

312 posts, read 709,392 times
How is that unique to Chicago? The same could be said for any city. It's like moving to the Upper East Side and complaining about all the rich people. The fact that you ignore working-class, or even middle class, neighborhoods, in Chicago makes your complaint that much more baffling

Old 05-15-2011, 08:52 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,069,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkShiner View Post
leave Chicago. It is almost impossible to get a job there, especially where a career is concerned, unless you know somebody on the inside. i was born and raised in Chicago and even i could never find a job when i was there. i had two shady, under the table type jobs that were hooked up by, of course, someone i knew, and it took forever for the jobs to even come through.

now im down here in Miami, where many jobs require u to speak Spanish and where the job market is twice as bad, and i was able to find not one, but two jobs here almost instantly that im working now. not saying move to Miami, but think about leaving Chicago.
Sorry but i would respectufully have to disagree with you
Chicago has one of the most diverse job markets in the country

If you know people and are able to do a little networking thru contacts or social groups you should be able to land your feet with a decent job in Chicago.

Granted I have taken a hit with my income a little but none the less been able to find employment pay the bills during the depression

in 2-3 years all the worst will be behind us and the markets will be better
Chicago is not isolated with the depression
and I would highly doubt miami is any where even close to chicagos job market!

negative thoughts will get you negative results
negative energy feeds off negative energy
ive learned that the hard way and its true positve thinking equals positve results
try it!

Old 05-15-2011, 10:05 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,065,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkShiner View Post

I'm thinking that the problem is much more you than Chicago.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:06 AM

1,568 posts, read 3,214,853 times
www.army.com

Old 05-15-2011, 10:18 AM

121 posts, read 317,516 times
Things are going to be better. You've always got your family and they love you. Remember that your relatives that seem to be doing so well are probably facing some hardships too, but are trying to make it look like everything is okay. You're not a failure. Just keeping trying, and don't give up!

Old 05-15-2011, 06:38 PM

4,068 posts, read 7,267,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
In my mind, I'm sitting here thinking man wouldn't it be nice right now to have so much more free time because of no job. I would love to just have a whole month off (without pay even) but it's so hard to do that as you probably know. You could be doing so much with all of that time it's insane.
Of course, that begs the question of how much one can do with all that free time if one has no money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago