Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 09:56 PM

23 posts, read 49,969 times

Advertisements

The Chicago Card or the Chicago Card Plus? Should I do pay-per-use of 30 day? I don't want to pay alot but I also need convenience in loading the card. I'll be living close to my school where I'll go m-thurs, but then I'll need the card to go out on weekends/shopping, etc. I'll be living in the loop so I know many going-out areas after dark are far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 05:11 AM

32 posts, read 34,695 times
Many colleges in Chicago have a student bus pass included in the tuition.

As far as what card to get otherwise, it all depends on how much you plan to use the bus or train.

Can you guesstimate how often that will be?

Old 05-16-2011, 06:17 AM

674 posts, read 1,055,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiaoBella14 View Post
The Chicago Card or the Chicago Card Plus? Should I do pay-per-use of 30 day? I don't want to pay alot but I also need convenience in loading the card. I'll be living close to my school where I'll go m-thurs, but then I'll need the card to go out on weekends/shopping, etc. I'll be living in the loop so I know many going-out areas after dark are far.
If you plan on using the CTA Monday through Friday, and on the weekends as well - pay the 86 dollars and get the 30 day Chicago Card Plus as it's going to be less expensive in the long run, and will re-load and re-active automatically via your debit card (so long as you have the funds in your account) at the end of each 30 day period.

If on the offhand chance you happen to lose things easily though - opt for a weekly card at 23 dollars. You'll have to manually reload it, but if you lose it you're also not out 86 dollars for the first card plus the additional cost of the second. It's more expensive in the long run by about 7 dollars a month I think, but like I said - depends on whether or not you can hold on to your things closely.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:18 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Really depends on how often you plan to use the CTA.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:12 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
If you're not using it to go to school, and just on the weekends, then I'd do pre-pay. I'd load $86 on the first time you charge up the card and see how long that lasts you. If you blow through it in 3 weeks, well then get a monthly pass. If it takes you 3 months to use that, well then....

Just get the Chicago Card Plus so you can automatically have it loaded via your bank account. Then you don't ever have to mess with machines or reloading it yourself. You can choose if you want to do pay-per-use or 30 day unlimited pass. You can change that option too after you make your initial choice.

Are you sure your school doesn't have a U-Pass or whatever it is? Those are included in your tuition I believe, and quite handy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago