Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 11:29 AM

590 posts, read 1,012,557 times

Advertisements

I was looking at the LTH forum, and ended up clicking on a link to Anteprima in Andersonville.
I found, among other stuff on their menu:

orecchiette, spicy house made lamb sausage, bitter greens, chilis, pecorino 10 16
pappardelle, pancetta ragu 10 16

I saw another thread about how expensive is to live in Chicago and in particular when it comes to nightlife and dining out.

Are you kidding me? I pay more than that for a lousy Pasta Alfredo down here in So Fla.
"Pappardelle pancetta ragu"...I am almost getting emotional here...

I already know I am going to put up some weight during my vacation in Chicago.

It's funny that my buddies/co-workers ask me why I am going back to Chicago for a 7-day vacation. When I tell them “no, I don’t have family or friends in Chicago, I am just going to vacation” they look at me like I am nuts.

They probably think I exaggerate when I tell them about how great a time my wife and I had in Chicago, which is why we are going back.

Great museums.
Great Live music
Nightlife of any kind
Great food at great prices.

People who seem happy on the street when you ask them for direction or an advice on a place

Wonderful scenery in fall: my wife and I being from North-Eastern Italy miss the seasons here in Florida. A walk in Lincoln Park or on Armitage Rd in fall, stepping on yellow, red, orange leaves is memorable, the air is nice and cool, problem is...it works on my appetite!

Beautiful neighborhoods to walk in, discover.

Plenty of international “everything”: food, music, people, you name it.

Walking, Public transportation (well, for many in Florida is not really a plus but it is for me).

It seems to me that all people (from outside Chicago) know (or point out) about Chicago is the crime and the violence.

But at the end of a long day, sometimes I would love to have a place here in So Fla to go listen to real blues or real jazz (without that place being a super-expensive, fancy place where you pay just to be there and not for the quality of music/food/drinks), sipping on a single malt scotch and minding my own business or chatting with my wife or friends.

That’s why we are going back to Chicago on vacation: it doesn’t feel like a vacation, it’s a place where both my wife and I seem to immediately melt with the city.

My buddies take a 3 hours cruise to the Bahamas almost every year ans epdn a full week there. I go to Chicago, to each his own. They think I am nut, I think they are wasting their time, going back to a place where you visit nothing, and spend most of your time on a beach drinking.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind at all drinking and cooling off on the beach, but we have plenty of that in South Florida, we don’t need a cruise to be on the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 11:45 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and Chicago is definately a vistor's paradise for all the reasons you mentioned and a few more.

We don't appreciate what we do not have until we do not have it.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:50 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,573,940 times
I have a few posts in the LTH Anteprima thread, the place is a gem.

EDIT: And yes, these types of forums in general atttract whiners.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:55 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
I have a few posts in the LTH Anteprima thread, the place is a gem.

EDIT: And yes, these types of forums in general atttract whiners.
Yep, anonymous posters are prone to being whiney.

Oh, and Anteprima is wonderful!

Old 05-17-2011, 12:40 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,878,778 times
Um, mostly because the entertainment and media industries aren't centered there. But I've found 'awareness of Chicago's coolness' to be an extremely sensitive barometer of human coolness/"Is this a person I even want to invest five minutes talking to?" People who know nothing about Chicago ("oh, that's some mediocre city with crime") are usually the types who only know how to get from their homes to their workplaces (and sometimes don't even know the names of the streets in between); they also tend to shop at the types of stores I won't name for fear of offending someone.

And, yes, OP, lots of the people I've known who are totally uninhibited about praising Chicago have been Europeans. They're not stuck in the subconscious mindset of "That (praising Chicago) is not what people ('people' being Joe Averages, really) do" (just one of many cultural memes one absorbs being raised as a run-of-the-mill American citizen). Just a couple of examples off the top of my head: "New York is the only urban-type city worth visiting from halfway (or all the way) across the country. Chicago is NEVER one [even though first-time visitors are usually totally blown away by their first drive down Lake Shore and everything else unexpectedly superlative about the city]. LA is ok for the Universal Studios tour, but the traffic is bad, and I'd get sick of that 'Hollywood' lifestyle with all the surfing and tanning and stuff" .

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 05-17-2011 at 12:50 PM..

Old 05-17-2011, 12:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Beauty of course is a subjective/personal matter. And good chunks of this city aren't much to look at. That aside, many coasties seem unwilling to entertain the possibility that any Midwestern city has anything worthwhile to offer.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:51 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Sounds like you and the missus need to move up here ASAP!

Old 05-17-2011, 12:53 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,878,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Beauty of course is a subjective/personal matter. And good chunks of this city aren't much to look at. That aside, many coasties seem unwilling to entertain the possibility that any Midwestern city has anything worthwhile to offer.
Good chunks of most cities aren't much to look at.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:54 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Sounds like you and the missus need to move up here ASAP!
Heh -- one week in January might disabuse those poor Floridians of any thoughts that living here full-time is such a great idea.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:08 PM

438 posts, read 1,698,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Heh -- one week in January might disabuse those poor Floridians of any thoughts that living here full-time is such a great idea.
Haha! Or even this May ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago