Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 03:24 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,192,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Thanks Tom "Rain Man" Skilling.
lol - I've been making a lot of decisions about when to put plants in the ground lately, I've definitely been reading a lot of Tom Skilling while second guessing my decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 03:55 PM

5,959 posts, read 13,074,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Ummm, not really. More like an inland sea! When I visited Germany's Baltic Sea coast, it reminded me of Lake Michigan. The sand dunes on the Michigan side have no counterpart on the Mississippi River. The waves generated by a Great Lakes's storm have no counterpart on the Mississippi.
I was thinking more in terms of the diversity of aquatic life. When you look into the ocean, the feeling that you get of what secrets lie out there on the horizon, what life forms we haven't yet described, and even the fact that life began there.

Knowing that is not the case with the great lakes, it just give you that feeling.

I wasn't putting down Lake Michigan, because I am also very impressed with the Miss. and the Ohio river.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:49 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,181,731 times
Chicago has some formidable weather. It awesome if you like to watch nature's fury. I stayed on Navy Pier one year and watched storm clouds gather while the smart ones were leaving. The light show above Chicago produced by the summer T-storm was better than a movie. It rained so hard it flooded the underpasses in the city. It was near five hours before I got back to Berwyn. Ecen then the streets and yards were flooded and streets littered with downed limbs.

Then I got caught in a storm with high winds on Lake Shore Drive. It was awesome to watch the giantwaves hit the seawall - for lack of a better description and spill into the LSD.

I drove to Chicago in one of the worst snow storms of the century. It close the airports but it sure was spectacular when the sun came out. NO traffic and deep drifts. Only one lane on I-55 was open. I followed one of the plows that kept it open for more than 150 miles. It was slow going but perfectly safe.

I don't think there is anything in this US that is quite as beautiful as the truly unususal weather events in Chicago.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:49 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,382,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I was thinking more in terms of the diversity of aquatic life. When you look into the ocean, the feeling that you get of what secrets lie out there on the horizon, what life forms we haven't yet described, and even the fact that life began there.

Knowing that is not the case with the great lakes, it just give you that feeling.

I wasn't putting down Lake Michigan, because I am also very impressed with the Miss. and the Ohio river.
A little off topic, but I wish Chicago had more regional foods that were from Lake Michigan. Minnesota and Wisconsin are big with Walleye, and we all know the coasts have regional dishes from the Oceans.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:54 PM

14,801 posts, read 17,622,969 times
I wish Wisconsin and Minnesota had more international foods, like Indian, Thai, Japanese, Spanish, Vietnamese, Russian, Greek, Pakistani, French, Mongolian, Morrocan....

Old 05-17-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I wish Wisconsin and Minnesota had more international foods, like Indian, Thai, Japanese, Spanish, Vietnamese, Russian, Greek, Pakistani, French, Mongolian, Morrocan....
Im not sure what point your trying to make, but do you not think it is bizarre we have this huge body of water butting up against the city, and virtually no food from it is used in local cuisine?

Old 05-17-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Im not sure what point your trying to make, but do you not think it is bizarre we have this huge body of water butting up against the city, and virtually no food from it is used in local cuisine?
You're lamenting the lack of walleye on Chicago menu's (even though it's on half the city's trendy restaurant lists). I just pointed out that you won't find half the food in Wisconsin or Minnesota that you can find here.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
You're lamenting the lack of walleye on Chicago menu's (even though it's on half the city's trendy restaurant lists). I just pointed out that you won't find half the food in Wisconsin or Minnesota that you can find here.

Walleye was an example, again not sure why you are trying to prove what foods Wisconsin or Minnesota dont have (for the record MPLS has some great restaurants).

The point stands that Chicago does not feature food from Lake Michigan in local cuisine. You have already made your point that Wisconsin doesnt have good Thai Restaruants, so what.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Walleye was an example, again not sure why you are trying to prove what foods Wisconsin or Minnesota dont have (for the record MPLS has some great restaurants).

The point stands that Chicago does not feature food from Lake Michigan in local cuisine. You have already made your point that Wisconsin doesnt have good Thai Restaruants, so what.
Really I've had walleye on at Brown Trout, North Pond and Publican just off the top of my head. I've had smelt and ramps too. But that probably doesn't count.

Of course Minneapolis has good restaurants, just nowhere near as many (or as good) as Chicago. Walleye or not

Old 05-17-2011, 08:50 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,700,126 times
I used to go to the Lakeside tavern on the East Side for fresh walleye and lake perch. It's gone now though, I think it moved to Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago