Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 02:46 PM

11 posts, read 18,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Yes, and people in Miami are so genuine...
haha. I've been thinking the same thing as this thread develops (not necessarily about Miami but South Florida in general).

I guess my concerns in my op were more along the lines of meeting people after relocating in general. Everywhere I have moved to I have known at least one person, so its a little uncomfortable to think about going somewhere you don't know anyone.

And I have only been to Chicago once but the people were much nicer than people in other cities I have visited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 02:46 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,049,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I always look at people like gabry and wish they'd realize that while they hate the weather and think it's horrible, everyone's likes and dislikes are completely different. I've found the one thing that people get obsessive about on Chicago is the weather. They move from the south and hate the winters, and then that's all they can see or focus on. They don't understand that you can't do anything about the weather, and as weird as it might be for them to understand - many other people just don't care that much that it's cold in the winter, they may even like it, but if you HATE it - you should leave.
I hate the winter with a passion and I'd lie if I said I didn't think about moving south every January. That being said, from May - September I'm in heaven here, and that is what keeps me around.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal34 View Post
I made the opposite move a few years ago....decided i was sick of chicago winters so moved to Sarasota. Didn't last 2 years! lol. Learned I prefer chicago winters to FL summers FL is great to visit but I much prefer Chicago. grew up in the burbs, but lived in the city for 10years, and much prefer that.
chi-town is a great place to live! i have several friends that moved here from the south (one from Ft Lauderdale) and they have all loved living up here. And all made many friends- never heard anyone complaining we were "cold". i think you'll find those folks in any city!
needless to say, go for it! But i do recommend you find a job first. the market's tough everywhere these days.
Yeah, I kind of though if I didn't like Chicago I may at least gain an appreciation for Florida, which I am very much lacking. In addition, while I want to get out of the Florida heat, the main appeal of Chicago is not the weather for me.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:07 PM

75 posts, read 223,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Gator View Post
Yeah, I kind of though if I didn't like Chicago I may at least gain an appreciation for Florida, which I am very much lacking. In addition, while I want to get out of the Florida heat, the main appeal of Chicago is not the weather for me.
yeah, I'll admit, the weather will be a rough change for ya, but my other friends who moved up here (1 from Ft L, 2 from Atlanta) adjusted ok. they are all upper 20s/early 30s and love chicago living!

like you said, even if you eventually move back to FL you'll appreciate the heat

if you dont mind me asking, whats bringing you up here?

Old 05-24-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal34 View Post
if you dont mind me asking, whats bringing you up here?
Not at all, honestly I just feel like I need to leave FL. I pretty much have always wanted to experience living in a new place (that gets all four seasons). But stayed in-state to go to college (can't beat FL tuition ). Then with a little incentive from the terrible job market when I graduated (2009) I decided to go to law school and again chose to stay locally because while didn't want to stay in FL I wasn't sure of where I wanted to go (law school made this complicated because unless you got to one of the very top law schools its easier network and find work in the area you attend school).

Anyways, I've thought about moving NYC (I have a cousin in the city and some family a couple hours outside) but its terribly expensive, after visiting Chicago I've noticed its very DIRTY, and I just don't think it is a good fit for me. Minneapolis was another city I thought about. My father grew up there and I still have a few family members there, but even though they rave about it from what I've read it doesn't have the urban environment I want (I'm 24 and single). I've been to LA (hated it) and it just doesn't seem that other cities closer to where I live compare to Chicago. I don't know how to explain it, I just fell in love with Chicago when I visited. My friend jokes that I'm obsessed, which is very strange I'm a very logical, realistic person who does not make decisions of this magnitude on a whim. Anyways, I feel like I babbled on and on when I could have just said "I feel like it." lol

Old 05-24-2011, 04:07 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,568,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Gator View Post
Not at all, honestly I just feel like I need to leave FL. I pretty much have always wanted to experience living in a new place (that gets all four seasons). But stayed in-state to go to college (can't beat FL tuition ). Then with a little incentive from the terrible job market when I graduated (2009) I decided to go to law school and again chose to stay locally because while didn't want to stay in FL I wasn't sure of where I wanted to go (law school made this complicated because unless you got to one of the very top law schools its easier network and find work in the area you attend school).

Anyways, I've thought about moving NYC (I have a cousin in the city and some family a couple hours outside) but its terribly expensive, after visiting Chicago I've noticed its very DIRTY, and I just don't think it is a good fit for me. Minneapolis was another city I thought about. My father grew up there and I still have a few family members there, but even though they rave about it from what I've read it doesn't have the urban environment I want (I'm 24 and single). I've been to LA (hated it) and it just doesn't seem that other cities closer to where I live compare to Chicago. I don't know how to explain it, I just fell in love with Chicago when I visited. My friend jokes that I'm obsessed, which is very strange I'm a very logical, realistic person who does not make decisions of this magnitude on a whim. Anyways, I feel like I babbled on and on when I could have just said "I feel like it." lol
Sounds like you've done some decent research. Chicago is a really nice city, that is extremely affordable. Do you have any job prospects?

Old 05-24-2011, 05:39 PM

152 posts, read 571,006 times
Btw, only 51 degrees today!

Old 05-24-2011, 05:56 PM

152 posts, read 571,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Were you happy in Chicago when you bought the condo? If not, why'd you buy it? If you were happy at the time, what changed?
As I said in my original post I was still in the honeymoon phase where I was trying to convince myself that the weather didn't bother me. You see, I like Chicago as a whole but in my opinion whatever it offers it's not so extraordinary to go through 8-9 months of what I consider miserable weather. Again this is my opinion and I understand some people may beg to differ.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:08 PM

5,523 posts, read 13,891,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabry76 View Post
Btw, only 51 degrees today!
Almost perfect weather for me!

Old 05-24-2011, 07:54 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,297,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Almost perfect weather for me!
Not for the end of May though (IMO). We got screwed out of a spring... again.

Our public pool is opening up this weekend, but I doubt it will be anywhere near warm enough to swim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago