U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-21-2011, 06:23 PM

11 posts, read 10,227 times
Default Seriously considering moving to Chicago

Hi,

I am thinking about moving from Florida to Chicago next year after I graduate and was wondering if anyone had any advice.

I will graduate law school next year but am considering alternative careers, such as human resources, opposed traditional legal work at a law firm for multiple reasons, one being it will be easier for me to find a job outside of Florida. I recently visited Chicago and fell in love. It is such a clean city with friendly people (compared to other big cities like NYC) and I could actually see myself living there. I have always wanted to leave Florida but the timing was never right and I wasn't sure of where I wanted to go. I know it will be a tough adjustment, especially the change in weather, but I feel like next year will be the perfect time and I may never have the opportunity to move again.

Some of my concerns are finding a job and meeting new people, in addition to acclimating to life in a large city. Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 07:06 PM

152 posts, read 401,698 times
Don't do it! I did the same thing 4 years ago (from Miami to Chicago) and I regret the crap out of it!! The weather here is miserable as you can't even begin to imagine! Once past the honeymoon phase (about 1 1/2 years), where you try to convince yourself you don't mind the weather, you'll eventually surrender and hate it with all your guts! Don't make my same mistake...forewarned is forearmed....

Old 05-21-2011, 07:19 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,892,465 times
Do it! You need to make the of your life. Follow your dream. Now's the time. Chicago is very easy to meet new people. For a young professional, the best places to live are downtown, Wicker Park, Bucktown, Lincoln Park, and Lakeview (includes Wrigleyville). Lots of bars, clubs, restaurants and activities in all those areas.

Yes, the winters are brutal. Particularly January thru St. Patty's Day. People tend to stay indoors. But the summer is awesome and the fall and spring are like anywhere else. From St. Patty's Day thru Christmas is constant holidays and stuff to do surrounding those holidays.

If you don't end up liking it, you are young enough to where you can move around some more.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:40 PM

Nowincal11 is probably true: you can try while you're young, just don't buy any real estate until the market recovers or you're going to be stuck here like me!

Old 05-21-2011, 07:54 PM

11 posts, read 10,227 times
Gabry76- I would definitely be renting. Unfortunately, I won't be in he position to buy for a while. Can I ask if it is only the weather you dislike or do you prefer the atmosphere of Miami? I grew up a little north of Ft. Lauderdale, so I know a little bit about Miami.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:59 PM

9,258 posts, read 11,461,391 times
It's Paddy, not Patty.

Chicago's a great place. My grandfather got off the boat in 1918 and came here and now the 4th generation of my family since then lives here over by Noble Square.

One cousin went back to Kiltimagh though; she said America was a crazy place where people sh*t inside and cooked outside.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Gator View Post
Gabry76- I would definitely be renting. Unfortunately, I won't be in he position to buy for a while. Can I ask if it is only the weather you dislike or do you prefer the atmosphere of Miami? I grew up a little north of Ft. Lauderdale, so I know a little bit about Miami.
Mainly the weather, but not only that. And I'm not talking only about winter, which we all know it is very brutal. I'm talking about non-existing springs: yeah, once in every 4 or 5 years you have a nice spring but usually springs here are mostly in the 40's and low 50's with grey depressing skies. Sure, even in cold springs you may have some 80 degree days, but they're just an handful well until the second half of May or beginning of June. Like this year: April had temperatures in the 30's and 40's almost every day; the first half of May wasn't much better with temperatures in the 40's and low 50's. Now, native Chicagoans will go any distance to say that this is not true and blah blah blah! Don't believe them because they don't know any better. If you like South Florida weather, you'll hate this weather here. Period!

The people are also not that friendly: yeah, they may be friendly as a facade but they don't really want to be your friends. You won't notice this right away, but you'll learn this soon enough. People here are as cold as the weather.

The grey all around is also very depressing: the midwest is just a flat wasteland. Sure, the architecture in Chicago is spectacular and the lakefront is pretty cool in summer but in the remaining 9 or 10 month is just depressing grey landscape.

You know, every one has their own preferences and like different things. Chicago can be a great city, it is just not for me I guess.

Good luck. If you do move here, check in with me after a year or so...

Old 05-21-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
It's Paddy, not Patty.

Chicago's a great place. My grandfather got off the boat in 1918 and came here and now the 4th generation of my family since then lives here over by Noble Square.

One cousin went back to Kiltimagh though; she said America was a crazy place where people sh*t inside and cooked outside.
Sorry I apologize.

I am not Irish and I grew up in one of the few areas of Chicagoland without a significant Irish population.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabry76 View Post
Mainly the weather, but not only that. And I'm not talking only about winter, which we all know it is very brutal. I'm talking about non-existing springs: yeah, once in every 4 or 5 years you have a nice spring but usually springs here are mostly in the 40's and low 50's with grey depressing skies. Sure, even in cold springs you may have some 80 degree days, but they're just an handful well until the second half of May or beginning of June. Like this year: April had temperatures in the 30's and 40's almost every day; the first half of May wasn't much better with temperatures in the 40's and low 50's. Now, native Chicagoans will go any distance to say that this is not true and blah blah blah! Don't believe them because they don't know any better. If you like South Florida weather, you'll hate this weather here. Period!

The people are also not that friendly: yeah, they may be friendly as a facade but they don't really want to be your friends. You won't notice this right away, but you'll learn this soon enough. People here are as cold as the weather.

The grey all around is also very depressing: the midwest is just a flat wasteland. Sure, the architecture in Chicago is spectacular and the lakefront is pretty cool in summer but in the remaining 9 or 10 month is just depressing grey landscape.

You know, every one has their own preferences and like different things. Chicago can be a great city, it is just not for me I guess.

Good luck. If you do move here, check in with me after a year or so...
Granted I grew up in Chicagoland, but I have found Chicagoans to be the most willing to talk to people. Always conversational.

What are your interests? Maybe you didn't find the right group.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Granted I grew up in Chicagoland, but I have found Chicagoans to be the most willing to talk to people. Always conversational.

What are your interests? Maybe you didn't find the right group.
I've found born and raised mid-westerners to be very cold and distant. As a matter of fact most of the friends I have here are from other parts of the country or foreigners. I've always found it very hard to make friends with native Chicagoans/mid-westerners. Maybe it's just me, but I know many non-native people who live here that have the same impression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago