Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 07:54 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier xerxes View Post
Well depends on the person, I am seeing much more respectable people in the neighborhood. Some people like it. How will "solid gentrification" ever occur if young respectable women dont move in too?
It won't. Humankind consists of women and men. A neighborhood that is only perceived as safe by young, fairly tough guys is in trouble…at least for a while.

Follow the true artists (people who make their living in the arts)
then gays
then hipsters/hippies
then single or childless married yuppies
then families
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 11:40 AM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
It won't. Humankind consists of women and men. A neighborhood that is only perceived as safe by young, fairly tough guys is in trouble…at least for a while.

Follow the true artists (people who make their living in the arts)
then gays
then hipsters/hippies
then single or childless married yuppies
then families
Is this even true anymore in a lot of places? It's been my experience that the hipsters will pusher further out than your average gay person, although the two groups aren't mutually exclusive, same with the yuppies. With acceptance being higher than it's ever been before, there's really no need for gays to move en masse to another neighborhood. There's also been a lot of articles written about the decline of "gay ghettos."

Old 10-15-2015, 10:23 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,752 times
Outside of the area near Howard Station and parts of Clark leading up to Howard, I personally never found Rogers Park to be that bad.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:55 AM

577 posts, read 669,447 times
It's very safe. The area around Howard Station is a bit desolate but nothing to worry about.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:23 PM

2 posts, read 1,903 times
Several years later.
How safe is this part of RP?
2015 W Birchwood Ave, Chicago, IL 60645

Old 05-22-2018, 07:03 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Not living in Chicago, but having visited Rogers Park, the contrast does get my attention. I've wandered in the neighborhoods around Sheridan, and actually found quite a few very nice single family homes and apartment buildings. I guess I was in a slightly different area, not where trouble usually occurs..

Old 05-23-2018, 01:27 PM

92 posts, read 99,220 times
2015 W Birchwood: I grew up about 3 blocks away from there. It may be a little better now but my opinion is that that area can be a 'war zone'. Especially in the summer. Do they still have a blue light 'anti-crime' camera at seeley and howard. Article linked below describes a shooting on that block although it happened in 2015. 7300 Winchester and Wolcott south of Rogers would be safer in my opinion.

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2015...ark-police-say

Old 05-24-2018, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uicgrad View Post
2015 W Birchwood: I grew up about 3 blocks away from there. It may be a little better now but my opinion is that that area can be a 'war zone'. Especially in the summer. Do they still have a blue light 'anti-crime' camera at seeley and howard. Article linked below describes a shooting on that block although it happened in 2015. 7300 Winchester and Wolcott south of Rogers would be safer in my opinion.

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2015...ark-police-say
Longtime lurker, first time poster who lives right by this area. It's improved significantly over the past 10 years. Yes there are occasional crimes that happen--but they are almost entirely domestic or gang/drug related. I have never had any problems walking around the area. Lots more families with small children moving in, the Evanston side gentrification has probably played a role in that. There's a cabaret theater going on on Howard now too, Theo Ubique. The blue light camera that was at Hoyne and Birchwood is gone now.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:30 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
By the end of summer, I will be a resident of Rogers Park in the City of Chicago.

Nothing I read here or in other threads about RP is scaring me. It is going to be better than West Jefferson in Detroit and/or Xenia Avenue in Dayton, the nearby main drags of my last two "permanent" home neighborhoods.

What I take from this forum that Howard El station area is the main neighborhood trap, and to expect what comes with that. Can't be worse than than East Dayton. It doesn't look like I'll be even using the Howard station much. Looks like the best way from my base (we'll say Western between Touhy and Pratt) to the Red Line is the 96 bus on Lunt to the Morse station which I don't read about as much.

I'm male, not small. Streetwise. Mind my own. Don't make myself much of a target, other than the DSLR camera on my neck sometimes. I've survived in a lot of places like so.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:30 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Its fine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago