Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 10:41 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
The real question is why do Americans put up with being gouged by the oil companies - and then give them tax credits on top of that.
Good freakin' question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 10:41 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
1997 car isn't old as hell

Old 06-01-2011, 10:45 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
^A 15-year-old car is pretty old. My brother drives a 1998 Camry and it has 180,000 miles on it -- which is well less than 15k a year put on it and it's starting to nickle and dime him to death.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:46 AM

994 posts, read 1,830,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
1997 car isn't old as hell
Well it sure as hell is not close to being 'newer'. The cars what abut 15 years old now (assuming it was rolled out in 1996)? Which means I was like 10 when that car was bought so for me that is old.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Gasoline taxes in Illinois and Chicago are exactly what they were a year ago - and gas costs more than a dollar/gallon than it did a year ago. The real question is why do Americans put up with being gouged by the oil companies - and then give them tax credits on top of that.
Exactly. That's why I am happy that I am not supporting the oil companies by having a car. I am in little ways when I ride the bus, take a cab, etc, but overall, I don't give them as much as other people do.

I don't plan getting a car until I absolutely have to. I had a 2000 Camry from 2004-2008. Best thing I did was sell it. Between gas, insurance, repair (not that it needed much), city stickers, tickets, parking, etc., it really was not worth having it as living by DePaul it was more inconvenient and costly to have it.

Also things like zipcars and I-Go are amazing, that whole concept is really smart.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:55 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
However, I also think high gas prices are a good thing. Americans are too unsustainable, fat and lazy (of course not all of us). So of you complain about long commutes like Logan Square to Englewood. Why is that commute so long? Lack of public transportation or effiecient public transportation and because of the creation of cars back in the day cities were built more spread out to accommadate automobile life. There is a reason why in Europe and place like NYC and Boston that gas prices don't have such a huge effect on commuters as they do in Chicago.

I won't get too munch into this, but you are very much correct. The people live now and the way cities are set up is really based on the automobile, and the only way we will correct this is when gas because too expensive for every day use. This type of auto-centric lifestyle isn't sustainable for another 50-100 years. Our entire lifestyle right now is based upon energy that is basically free.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
I won't get too munch into this, but you are very much correct. The people live now and the way cities are set up is really based on the automobile, and the only way we will correct this is when gas because too expensive for every day use. This type of auto-centric lifestyle isn't sustainable for another 50-100 years. Our entire lifestyle right now is based upon energy that is basically free.
That's was more or less the point I was trying to make. It seems like everyone just wants cheaper gas prices, just like how people want to have green lawns in phoenix and just like how Las Vegas uses water like it has an abundant source of it.

Gas is probably never going to be super cheap. Yet I see people still buying SUV's, deciding to live in neighborhoods that are not pedestrian friendly. I think the American Dream worked pretty well maybe 20 years ago, but now it's time to adapt.

Correct me if I am wrong, isn't gas like $20/gallon in Europe (I know they use liters)? If they have found a way to manage, a country as resourceful and rich as the U.S. certainly can as well. It's all in the people's attitude.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:40 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Someday in the not so distant future, towns like Huntley and Oswego will be ghost towns.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:38 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Someday in the not so distant future, towns like Huntley and Oswego will be ghost towns.

Nah, they'll probably just go back to being the small rural towns they used to be. Although there ARE less farmers for these towns to serve than before sprawl hit them so maybe not.

When I was a teen going out to the drag strip in Oswego was like going to Wisconsin or Iowa something, I mean it was WAY the Hell out there. Hell, I thought Bellwood was way the Hell out there; that was where the West Town bus that went west from Madison and Austin turned around and headed back in.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:05 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
I avoid high city gas prices by never buying gas within the city. I drive out to Melrose Park and fill up there, then I eat at Culvers and shop around there. I also drive a fuel efficient Honda Civic HX which got me 51.2 mpg driving from Chicago to Memphis at 70 mph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago