Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2007, 02:02 PM

4,491 posts, read 5,050,584 times

Advertisements

As in my many short trips to Chicago, I'm flying into O'Hare in about a month. But after some bad Blue Line experiences (we sure know about those, don’t we?) on what used to be old reliable, I'm looking for another alternative. Last time, in getting to O'Hare on a Sunday eve, (upon a CTA guy's recommendation) I took the Metra UP from the Ogilvie TC to Jefferson Park and transferred to the Blue Line for the short trip to O'Hare, and it worked fine (I love Metra’s ride and efficiency) as there was, I think, only one slow spot on the L into the airport... Going the other way, I'm not sure it will work as well b/c Blue Line frequency is, of course, much higher than Metra line, though I'm open to it...

I've read about an O'Hare connecter on the Antioch Metra line (I think). How do I access this line, as it appears it's a short distance from terminals (are their shuttles)? I'm pretty sure this line only runs on weekdays -- is this true? Is it viable? Are there any other transit suggestions -- keep in mind, I despise shuttle/limo alternatives because they, like autos, must deal with that elongated parking lot known as the JFK expressway...

Is there some possible bus-to-L connection I'm missing?

... any ideas? … many thanks, in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 02:24 PM

5,523 posts, read 13,914,966 times
Take the people mover elevated train thingy from your terminal to the remote parking lots. Ride the train till the last stop (parking lot E). Exit the train and get on a bus to parking lot F which will also drop you off at the Metra stop. I think the buses run every 5-10 minutes or so. Obviously, you want to check the metra schedule to make sure trains are running (it only runs on weekdays).

Old 08-05-2007, 07:09 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,400,293 times
The O'Hare connector would definitely be an option. The service is not available, however, on weekends, and even on weekdays it is less frequent than the Metra UP-Northwest Line that picks up over at Jefferson Park (which you utilized going to the airport). But either way it would be a good idea to have a copy of both schedules on you just in case one train line works out better than the other in terms of your timing. sukwoo is correct in suggesting the People Mover shuttle as the way to reach Remote Lot F....this is where the O'Hare Connector stop is located.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
As in my many short trips to Chicago, I'm flying into O'Hare in about a month. But after some bad Blue Line experiences (we sure know about those, don’t we?) on what used to be old reliable, I'm looking for another alternative. Last time, in getting to O'Hare on a Sunday eve, (upon a CTA guy's recommendation) I took the Metra UP from the Ogilvie TC to Jefferson Park and transferred to the Blue Line for the short trip to O'Hare, and it worked fine (I love Metra’s ride and efficiency) as there was, I think, only one slow spot on the L into the airport... Going the other way, I'm not sure it will work as well b/c Blue Line frequency is, of course, much higher than Metra line, though I'm open to it...

I've read about an O'Hare connecter on the Antioch Metra line (I think). How do I access this line, as it appears it's a short distance from terminals (are their shuttles)? I'm pretty sure this line only runs on weekdays -- is this true? Is it viable? Are there any other transit suggestions -- keep in mind, I despise shuttle/limo alternatives because they, like autos, must deal with that elongated parking lot known as the JFK expressway...

Is there some possible bus-to-L connection I'm missing?

... any ideas? … many thanks, in advance.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:48 PM

2,491 posts, read 3,508,775 times
The only Metra line that stops at the airport is the North Central:
Metra / North Central Service Schedules

Yup, ten trains PER DAY, weekdays only. It's about as convenient as taking Amtrak to MKE, really (seven trains daily), and also goes into Union Station.

If you're on the go and want to try the Jeff Park transfer again, call 312-836-7000 for schedules.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:42 PM

4,491 posts, read 5,050,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
The only Metra line that stops at the airport is the North Central:
Metra / North Central Service Schedules

Yup, ten trains PER DAY, weekdays only. It's about as convenient as taking Amtrak to MKE, really (seven trains daily), and also goes into Union Station.

If you're on the go and want to try the Jeff Park transfer again, call 312-836-7000 for schedules.
OK, thanks much for the great info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: